• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to disinfect wood/branches?

Meganimoo

Hatchling Dragon
I want Persie's basking spot to be a big branch or driftwood or something. They are soo expensive to buy so I thought I'd go down to the beach and find some. But I don't want to put it straight in there. Does anyone know anything about disinfecting wood for vivariums??

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The best way to disinfect pretty much anything is to bake it in the oven at 300° for at least 30 minutes. If it's wood (especially dry wood) you'll want to watch it closely, so it doesn't catch fire. This will kill any bugs, and pretty much any bacteria or other bad stuff.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Actually the way I way I clean and sanitize enclosure "furnishings" is to use a 10% bleach/water solution and then bake. If the particular furnishing is porous such a wooden basking perch or porous stone I do not allow it to soak in the bleach solution but instead use it to scrub off the perch.

-All furnishings are then thoroughly rinsed with clean water to remove any residue of the bleach solution.

Non-porous items are left to soak for 10-15 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.

-After that I take any and all items that will fit and not melt (I personally don't use any melt-able furnishings) and they are placed in a 220 degree oven for 30 minutes. 220 degrees is more than sufficient to kill most any parasite or bacteria that the bleach didn't get. It is also a low enough temperature that the risk of your furnishings catching on fire is extremely minimal at most.

-Once everything has baked for the 30 minutes I let them thoroughly cool down to room temperature before placing them back in the enclosure.

-Items that are too large to fit in the oven are left to air-dry completely before re-use.

This method is tried and proven as excellent husbandry practice. The same 10% bleach solution can also be used to clean the enclosure itself. You can allow the bleach solution to sit for a few minutes but it is very important after that all bleach residue be thoroughly rinsed with clean water and that any remaining odor or fumes be allowed to clear before putting to dragon back in his house.

-As a final caveat... Please DO NOT leave anything baking in an oven unattended at anytime...even at low temperatures things left long enough have a potential to cause a fire!

Enjoy!:)

Edit: It is also very important that when choosing a "native" limb or using wood in your dragon's enclosure that you are absolutely sure of what wood you are looking at and make sure that type of wood is safe for your dragon. There are many that pose a risk to them such as pines for example. Choose wisely:)
Also just as a side note it may be necessary for you to check local laws as far as if you can "go to the beach" and get a piece of driftwood or not. There are areas that regulate against doing that and that will fine you for doing so.

Meganimoo

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks a lot I will do all that.
I don't necessarily have to go to the beach, just anywhere where there is wood/branches etc. But I will look into whether I'm allowed to take it.
Thanks for the help :)

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Oh my! I have a wooden log and I have been putting it in the oven and it never dawned twice on me that it could catch fire! I am so glad you mentioned that because from now on I think I am going to put it in the freezer overnight instead because the log has little pieces of wood that fall off and that would definitely cause a fire! Oops!!!!:eek:

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh my! I have a wooden log and I have been putting it in the oven and it never dawned twice on me that it could catch fire! I am so glad you mentioned that because from now on I think I am going to put it in the freezer overnight instead because the log has little pieces of wood that fall off and that would definitely cause a fire! Oops!!!!:eek:

@BeardieBaby...There is really not much danger in your wooden log catching fire in a 220 degree oven for 30 minutes. Most wood will not even begin to pose a fire hazard until it reaches a temperature of between 250-450 degrees. (of note: There is a famous classic novel by author Ray Bradbury titled Fahrenheit 451. The story is about a future world were all books are outlawed. The tile of the book refers to the temperature at which paper (which is primarily made of wood) burns 451 degrees Fahrenheit. Just an interesting fact and an awesome read by the way:))

Keeping that in mind you don't have anything to really worry about. Freezing overnight is another viable option of course but then in my view means that you will not be able to "re-furnish" Baby's enclosure until the next day. That to me is like changing his environment and a potential stress factor unless you have 2 identical logs that is where you can swap them out.
The cleaning and baking method, at least to me, makes much more sense because with this method you can have things clean, sanitized, cooled down and his Home back together most times in just a little over an hour. And as long as you don't stick your log in the oven and leave it unattended for a long time it is perfectly safe.
You mentioned that it has small pieces that could drop off. I would remove those as if they could drop off in an oven then they could also drop off in his enclosure and possibly cause an ingestion risk ( far more of a danger). If you are worried about them dropping off in your oven then simply place the log on a cookie sheet.

Hope this helps and quells your fears:)
Enjoy!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks so much Mungi, it definitely helps my fears! And I had a blonde moment because I just realized that when I do put his log in the oven, I already do put it on a cookie sheet...DUH! LOL....:rolleyes: But I feel much better, so thanks!