• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How should I get a 3-month-old started on greens?

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wrex won't eat any kinds of fruits or veggies. I've tried dandelion, kale, romaine, apple, and carrot, all chopped and shredded finely, and he just doesn't touch any of it. Should I stop feeding him crickets until he tries it, or is there some other option?

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Don't worry about it much now just make sure they are available all day. Babies and Juveniles should eat mainly protein at this stage. I put little silk worms under my collard green and that worked. Now Boogie loves veggies and Tessie came loving them already.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My dragons like collard, mustard and turnip greens. I also mix in butternut squash and bell peppers. The way I started Princess on salad was to mix up the greens with some mango and strawberries. Just offer the salad first thing in the morning before the bugs. That's when they will be the most hungry.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, most babies do not eat their greens, but as everyone pointed out, offer them daily. First thing in the morning before the bugs is best.

Try putting a mound of veggies on the bottom with the greens on top. You'll have to experiment what veggies and greens your beardie likes best. Butternut squash usually has a lot of success along with peppers (any color) and squash. Here's a link to our basic caresheet. It goes over a variety of veggies and greens that are safe for your beardie:
Bearded Dragon Care

Go about half way down to the Feeding section.

Good luck and don't stop trying the salad mix. They won't depend on it daily until they reach 1 year of age.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
valkryja said:
Wrex won't eat any kinds of fruits or veggies. I've tried dandelion, kale, romaine, apple, and carrot, all chopped and shredded finely, and he just doesn't touch any of it. Should I stop feeding him crickets until he tries it, or is there some other option?

Romaine is not good for them. It's mostly water with little nutrients and can give them diarrhea.

I have a stubborn beardie who wouldn't eat his greens for the first month or so that we had him. Now, he does (he's an adult). Just keep offering, like everyone has already said, and Wrex will come around :) I have noticed that my stubborn one likes watercress. Just keep trying different stuff off the approved list that Renee gave you and see what he likes. My other beardie, Athena, is partial to ANYTHING orange. I've heard that's kind of common for them to pick a color they like. They're so funny :D

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Princess is partial to anythng red. YoYo loves just about every veggie