• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How often do I feed?

Bellamarshall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I just got my bearded dragon 3 days ago, and I’ve never owned one before. The guy at the reptile store I bought him from said to feed 5-10 ONCE a day, but everywhere else people say to feed them FOUR to FIVE times a day. Can anyone help me?

cosmoni

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have you done your proper research before getting the beardie? How old is it?
Juveniles' diet should consist of 80% bugs and 20% greens. Offer them food 3 times a day, whatever they choose to eat within 15 minutes. You can leave out a salad for them during the day as long as it doesn't get gross. Remove any bugs from the enclosure after the 15 minutes.
Adults get the same procedure, but 80% greens and 20% bugs.
Make sure foods are not bigger/wider than the space between their eyes so they don't have trouble swallowing.
I would encourage you to do some more research on this, because it is essential to learn about how they take in nutrients and how vital it is to have a proper diet for them. If it doesn't have proper calcium or other sort of vitamins they could get MBD, or other issues. Try dusting a calcium powder on bugs. Do not feed mealworms to young beardies, and you may occasionally feed to adults but I don't see it worth it with all the other food options (butterworms, hornworms, superworms, crickets, etc.). So, please please please do your research so your beardie may grow big and strong! :)

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Juveniles' diet should consist of 80% bugs and 20% greens. Offer them food 3 times a day, whatever they choose to eat within 15 minutes. You can leave out a salad for them during the day as long as it doesn't get gross. Remove any bugs from the enclosure after the 15 minutes.
Make sure foods are not bigger/wider than the space between their eyes so they don't have trouble swallowing.
I would encourage you to do some more research on this, because it is essential to learn about how they take in nutrients and how vital it is to have a proper diet for them. If it doesn't have proper calcium or other sort of vitamins they could get MBD, or other issues. Try dusting a calcium powder on bugs. Do not feed mealworms to young beardies, and you may occasionally feed to adults but I don't see it worth it with all the other food options (butterworms, hornworms, superworms, crickets, etc.). So, please please please do your research so your beardie may grow big and strong! :)

I agree so much with cosmoni. I went in blind thinking I was getting a regular low maintenance lizard for my 6 year old. And I listened to the pet store who offered ALL wrong advice. Within 2 days of researching my heart out, I had to go buy all new supplies and lighting. They require a ton of such specific care. And they are such a huge commitment. But they are so worth it. I’m no expert. I’ve had my dragon maybe 3 months and still question everything because I’m afraid to hurt her or cause long term damage. But there is so much information that is not being said by pet stores which is why I agree with cosmoni. Research like crazy and this site can be great as well. Good luck with your new baby!
Also, my baby easily eats 60 small crickets a day along with her veggies. They need lots of protein as they grow so fast.

Bellamarshall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me! I’ve been researching my heart out since I got him and some questions have been keeping me up at night lol! It can be confusing when so many people say so many different things about the care for bearded dragons! Your reply really helped and once again I really appreciate it, thank you. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Bellamarshall

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree so much with cosmoni. I went in blind thinking I was getting a regular low maintenance lizard for my 6 year old. And I listened to the pet store who offered ALL wrong advice. Within 2 days of researching my heart out, I had to go buy all new supplies and lighting. They require a ton of such specific care. And they are such a huge commitment. But they are so worth it. I’m no expert. I’ve had my dragon maybe 3 months and still question everything because I’m afraid to hurt her or cause long term damage. But there is so much information that is not being said by pet stores which is why I agree with cosmoni. Research like crazy and this site can be great as well. Good luck with your new baby!
Also, my baby easily eats 60 small crickets a day along with her veggies. They need lots of protein as they grow so fast.
Wow 60 crickets? The pet store gave me 50 for a whole week! Thank you for your reply! I’ve only had my dragon a few days and I already love him so much, so I’m definitely thinking this is all worth it haha! I hope you have an amazing day!

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Wow 60 crickets? The pet store gave me 50 for a whole week! Thank you for your reply! I’ve only had my dragon a few days and I already love him so much, so I’m definitely thinking this is all worth it haha! I hope you have an amazing day!
Soo worth it. My sons dragon has turned into my dragon lol I love her. You will enjoy her for sure. There are lots of knowledgeable people here that can help. My dragon Sammy ate 10 a day when her lighting and uvb was what the pet store told me to do. Now that she’s got her right basking temps and her Reptisun 10.0 tube uvb she’s so happy and finally flourishing. And now eating me out of house and home lol

SpikedLove

Bearded Dragon Egg
Once you get it all down, and he is no longer a bearded baby, You will have the "lower maintenance" pet you seek. You will already have the proper heat and light for UVB, and they won't need as many bugs and not every day. You will have figured out what works for you as far as keeping the cage clean and it gets not only easier, but can actually be enjoyable.

cosmoni

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow, 50 for a week? I'm glad you came over here, you would have had quite a hungry beardie! You'll learn overtime your beardie's specific eating habits, some have a massive apetite, some do not, and some go back and forth. Wishing you luck with your new beardie, hoping we get to see you and him around!

Brian Lee Evans

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow, 50 for a week? I'm glad you came over here, you would have had quite a hungry beardie! You'll learn overtime your beardie's specific eating habits, some have a massive apetite, some do not, and some go back and forth. Wishing you luck with your new beardie, hoping we get to see you and him around!
Ive had my dragon for 3 years. Gave worms and crickets for 8 months. Sometimes 40 crickets at a time. Now i do shredded carrots and selantro , kale. super worms and crickets once a month. I dont use a water bowl

Attachments

• 20191024_074730.jpg
    20191024_074730.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190919_085734.jpg
    20190919_085734.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200801_131417.jpg
    20200801_131417.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Ive had my dragon for 3 years. Gave worms and crickets for 8 months. Sometimes 40 crickets at a time. Now i do shredded carrots and selantro , kale. super worms and crickets once a month. I dont use a water bowl
I really like your food dish with the ramp. Where can I find one? I’ve been cutting a paper plate in half so she can get into it as most bowls are too tall while she’s little lol!