• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long for outside of tank time?

LanaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey I was just curious to see how long you all keep your beardies outside of their vivs at a time? Shenron is still a juvenile and I’ve just got her tamed to pick her up and get her to sit in my lap or run about on my bed without freaking out. However it’s a cold winter here in Chicago and though our place never seems to drop below 70 (we often have to crack a window) I worry that she’s not warm enough past 10 minutes. I want to still be able to hold her since it took 6 months to get where we are but don’t wanted her to get too cold. Opinions?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm in Chicago too! If mine are running around, I let them do it for as long as they want, they usually last about 45 min to an hour. If they are just sitting in one spot on the floor not doing anything, then I put them back. We have our temp at 69 but the drafts on the floor are cold. Now if they are sitting with me, they might be out longer because they will be on my chest or wrapped in a warm blanket or something.

I am so looking forward to the rest of the week here, supposed to be in the 40's!!!! I'll take the rain as long as it's not freezing out.

LanaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks! That’s longer than I keep her out now. I don’t let her on the floor just yet cause I have a dog and a cat. My cat is a little too interested in her and Shenron is on the smaller side for her age due to being a pet store rescue. She’s perfectly healthy now but had her tail nipped and they were going to get rid of her because she became too big to be a viable sale. Apparently 6 inches long is too big ☹️ Anyways that’s good to know. She will sit on my lap for a good while now and seems to love being snuggled in a towel. I might get her one of those ferret pouches soon

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I live in WI and I have a room that is safe from dangers that I will let mine run around..I have a MVB set up over a rock area for them to warm up and bask then off running again.. They are often out for several hours..

LanaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
Cool. We recently moved and I’m working on making our spare room safe for her to run in. We’re in the process of trying to get it unpacked and get rid of some ants