• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how long can he go without food?

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ive only had my beardie since sunday so i no im most likley being a nervous mother lol. But icant seem to get him to eat, sunday evening he ate 3 wax worms (all the shop had in stock) monday he refused all food i put in tank. Yesterday i managed to make him eat 1 cricket and a lambs lettuce leaf. I no this no way enough! He had small amounts of unshedded skin wen i got him,this is gone tho his tail looks different,duller than the rest of him?
He also seems agitated this morning, keeps running rnd the tank,trying to climb up the walls and rubbing his head against things. Should i be concerned? What can i do?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You just got him so he is going through relocation stress. This can last from 1 week to 4 weeks. Just keep trying to feed him and eventually he will start eating. As far as the tail the dullness you are seeing means he is getting ready to shed again, when they are young the seem to shed almost constantly.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First thing... Breath ! lol... yes I agree this is relocation stress... and yes, baby will do fine...
dragons undergo a form of hibernation each year ( well most do.. some are just plain stubborn) and will go months without any food. The dragons have fat pads in tail, and head that the dragon will live on during this period... Now most dragons won't go into "brumation" (hibernation for reptiles)until at least 7-9 months old, normally around the end of the first year of life. This happens in the wild, during periods when the food sources are not available readily, so they Brumate until these sources are available again...
So no worries sweet heart.
Keep asking questions, and remember... calm mind, even emotions... Dragons can pick up your distress and this can agitate them further...
Janie

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thank u all for the advice,feel more relaxed now. alfie has shed his tail n eaten 5 crickets so far today. Hes alot more content, think he cud also b going thro brumination as he slept for 18hrs last nite. ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could be.. Mine started to go down at age 7 months... well one did.. he's now back up with a vengeance ! The other same age hasn't shown any interest. The oldest, close to 15 months.. is deciding.. Just remember... if you haven't had a fecal done a month prior to the attempt to brumate, do get one done.. Parasites do mimic the same responses as brumation.
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could be relo stress coupled with shed. They tend to slow down their appetites when shedding.

Couple of thoughts -

1. when was the last time he pooped?
2. What are your temps on the hot and cool sides?
3. What are you using to measure your temps?
4. What are the make and model of your UV light?
5. What is your substrate?

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he last pooped on friday before he ate the crickets but hasnt pooped or eaten since.
The hot side is 101 and the cool side is 83 ive got the temp things that sit on the wall but i am waiting on a digital one to be delivered.
Ive got a repti glo 14 watt uvb bulb running the length of the tank with a normal flouresent bulb along side that, he also has a zoo med 100watt basking bulb.
He has got calcium carbonate as a substrate, again went against what i had read but the shop advised it as its what all they have in all thier beardie tanks.
Hes not interested in food today either and has not eaten any greens since monday.
They told me he was 9 months old but im now beginning to doubt everything they've told me!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the ReptiGlo 14 watt the ReptiGlo 10.0? If so, this bulb has been known to have issues with beardies. I know it can be frustrating when you think you are turning to an expert (store) and you are finding out that they have misdirected you. One thing to keep in mind is that most pet store workers are not properly trained. And they keep the baby beardies for such a short time that they can survive on the care being provided. I think just about anything can survive short term in poor situations.

Anyway, your substrate may have caused impaction. I would bathe your beardie daily in a warm bath and massage under his belly, very gently.

I'm partial to the ReptiSun 10.0 UV bulb. It is the best on the market. Beardies need a high amount of UV to thrive in captivity. Here's a link to what I am referencing -
ReptiSun 10.0

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
it's very frustrating, all i want is the best for alfie n the store seems not to care about the well being of thier reptiles at all. :mad:
It is the rep glo 10.0 so will invest in a new 1.
Im goin to remove the carbonate today and replace with kitchen roll what would u suggest as a long term substrate for him as he likes to dig the carbonate from under his rock at night to sleep?

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
im also goin to take him to the vets i think, just to make sure they've not sold me a poorly beardie. Hes not happy today at all, has been laying on his basking spot all day n has not moved an inch,very worried for him. :'(

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
just had a look on the substrates page and got a few ideas (def stayin well away from any sand!) just wondering if i can use lino?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Think positive. You're in the right place now and doing the best that you can do to ensure your beardie has a nice home and has the proper care.

I'm a fan of tiles. It makes clean up easy. It also helps with your beardie's nails.

I think a vet visit is a good idea. Try and take a poop sample so they can run a fecal to see if he has any parasites.

Let us know how it goes!

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
im so glad i found this site...i dread to think what would happen to alfie without u guys THANK YOU xx
Ive got sum spare floor tiles that will fit perfect,thanks for the heads up on the lino!
Alfie is booked in to vets on thurs, do u think he will b ok to wait till then?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm glad you found this forum informative. Let us know how Thursday goes. In the meantime, I would give daily baths.

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hes pooped, just a little one but its a start! Will let u no how thurs goes

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is great! Isn't it funny how excited we get about poo?

I would continue the daily baths at least until you get to the vet's. Good luck!

tink

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
alfie isnt impacted thankfully, hes got worms tho. Also found out hes only 3-4 months old,not the 9 months i was told. Thsnks again for all yr advice