• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How is my lizard doing?

AshLaRee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, so my brother bought a baby bearded dragon in August of this year and did pretty good, to begin with, but then he started getting way busier, (he's 20), and kind of stopped taking care of it. He literally would not let me feed it because he thought that I knew nothing about what it needed. Well, several months down the road, here is a full-grown bearded dragon that is in a skinny fish tank, without a lot of room to move around, constantly dirty water, and all to eat is the ten mealworms and crickets that he would be given every day, sometimes my brother ran out of food and would forget to buy some for a couple of days. Okay, so I've probably made my brother sound like a careless guy, but he was not doing it on purpose, of course. He knew that the lizard was in bad conditions but wasn't taking the time to get him into better ones.
So, I decided to start feeding it vegetables, since he never had had one in his life, and didn't really tell my brother. He ate it and so I continued to feed him zucchini and kale, (that's all that we had at the time). I told my brother to just give it to me so that I could take care of it and he wouldn't have to worry about it. After getting him from $100 to nothing, (and a dare to pick up a whole cowpie), he finally decided to give it to me for free!
Anyway, I built him a new enclosure, bought new lighting, substrate, things to climb on, bathed him for the first time in his life, and gave him a proper diet, (at least I think that it is), I need to know if what I am doing is for the best. After picking him up several times, I realized that he has nearly no muscle on his body, he looks too fat, and he's not very active. Maybe it's because he never had a chance to run around or climb on things, but what is normal with these things? I've been feeding him different things every day, such as; aloe vera, kale, zucchini, bell peppers, and asparagus. I don't believe that he has the right temperature quite yet, it never drops below 65 degrees Fahrenheit and the highest temp is probably around 75-80, but I am working on that and saving money to buy some reptile heating pads.
So, any advice? Fill me in! I want him to be as happy as he can be!

Attachments

• 5DB484A9-89CA-42ED-AB16-062B0B638630.jpeg
    5DB484A9-89CA-42ED-AB16-062B0B638630.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • DE566047-564F-4B89-926C-93FD7EF7715B.jpeg
    DE566047-564F-4B89-926C-93FD7EF7715B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • A500CC9A-5C3D-4DFA-9BC2-6C248048BF3C.jpeg
    A500CC9A-5C3D-4DFA-9BC2-6C248048BF3C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38

AshLaRee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so I am glad you got the dragon out of his care ---- but the tank you built looks really nice but not for a beardie -- I hate to say it but he needs to go into a an enclosure that has floor space --- like a 4x2x2 tank --- I am going to give you a website that has DIY enclosures for people that can build their own -- you have the talent to do just that --- so now for correct husbandry for your dragon -- first he needs good UVB a Reptisun 10.0 Tube either a T 8 or a T 5 -- if your going to build him a new enclosure that is the 4x2x2 I would recommend a T 5 --- next your basking temps should be 95-105 for proper digestion --- next no loose substrate slated ceramic tile from your local home improvement store is good or textured non adhesive shelf liner as well -- he needs a variety of insects --- like dubia roaches - crickets -- BSFL -- and treat worms occasionally like butter worms wax worms super worms -- and salads every day --- here is a website for nutrition --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Feeder insects should be dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week - your dragon is now 6 months old??? He needs vitamins 2 x per week - if he is showing signs of MBD which is from improper UVB he is going to be struggling to get around in the tank you have him in now --- so you need to get on this UVB and dusting w/ calcium if he does not have the proper lighting now-- I cant see what the lighting is -- if you need extra heat in the tank get a CHE ceramic heat emitter they need a dome and come in different bulb wattages - you can order them on line from Amazon--- You need a infrared heat gun to get accurate basking temps or / and a digital probe----- here is the website www.beardeddragon.org-- look under DIY and please ask questions - there are certain woods glues and other things tanks cannot be made out of --- please ask if you have any more questions --- its good you got him away from your brother but I am afraid he may be not as healthy as he should be from the improper care he was given
Okay! Thank you! I will see what I can do!

AshLaRee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so I am glad you got the dragon out of his care ---- but the tank you built looks really nice but not for a beardie -- I hate to say it but he needs to go into a an enclosure that has floor space --- like a 4x2x2 tank --- I am going to give you a website that has DIY enclosures for people that can build their own -- you have the talent to do just that --- so now for correct husbandry for your dragon -- first he needs good UVB a Reptisun 10.0 Tube either a T 8 or a T 5 -- if your going to build him a new enclosure that is the 4x2x2 I would recommend a T 5 --- next your basking temps should be 95-105 for proper digestion --- next no loose substrate slated ceramic tile from your local home improvement store is good or textured non adhesive shelf liner as well -- he needs a variety of insects --- like dubia roaches - crickets -- BSFL -- and treat worms occasionally like butter worms wax worms super worms -- and salads every day --- here is a website for nutrition --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Feeder insects should be dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week - your dragon is now 6 months old??? He needs vitamins 2 x per week - if he is showing signs of MBD which is from improper UVB he is going to be struggling to get around in the tank you have him in now --- so you need to get on this UVB and dusting w/ calcium if he does not have the proper lighting now-- I cant see what the lighting is -- if you need extra heat in the tank get a CHE ceramic heat emitter they need a dome and come in different bulb wattages - you can order them on line from Amazon--- You need a infrared heat gun to get accurate basking temps or / and a digital probe----- here is the website www.beardeddragon.org-- look under DIY and please ask questions - there are certain woods glues and other things tanks cannot be made out of --- please ask if you have any more questions --- its good you got him away from your brother but I am afraid he may be not as healthy as he should be from the improper care he was given
Also, do you think that any reptile would do good in the enclosure that I built? Maybe if I added some things?