• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Big Before Sand?

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Scarlet was on sand when we got her 2 weeks ago. She is 2 1/2 and has been on it all of her life and has never had an issue. She also loves digging in it and hasn't injured herself in anyway. However from evrything I have read I got rid of the sand because I care to much about her to take any chances. I am so glad I did. She is now on newpaper and it is so much cleaner. There was always sand in her water dish and it was just plain ol' nasty. I do like the look of sand but will not go back to it either. Better safe than sorry. As far as repti carper, I don't like it either. I had to Balls years ago and they were on the carpet. It was great when it was new but once I washed it a few times it got lumpy and would not lay flat. I just didn't care for it and I wouldn't use it for my BD. I do have a question regarding the tile. Once we get the new enclosure for Scarlet I would like to get tile. I read something about sealing it? Could you explaine that a little more. What do you seal it with. And once it's put in place does it not come back out, as in are you guys using grout? I was just going to get terra cotta type tile and have it cut to fit but keep it loose so I can take it out to clean. I have heard slate is a good choice too. Any pros and cons on various tile? Also, hope I am not getting to far off topic here, but Scarlet laid eggs when she still had the sand. Is removing it going to be an issue incase she lays again with nothing to dig in? And how soon can I expect more eggs? Any suggestions welcome!!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you just laying tile in there you don't need to seal it thats only if your going to put in in permanent and grout it. Its is possible she wont lay her eggs without sand if that's the case you would just have to supply her with laying bin when shes ready.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you just laying tile in there you don't need to seal it thats only if your going to put in in permanent and grout it. Its is possible she wont lay her eggs without sand if that's the case you would just have to supply her with laying bin when shes ready.
How would I know if she is ready. This last time I had no clue. How often do they lay eggs, or is there no set amount of time between "pregnancies"

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They will get pretty plump and there belly will sag sometimes you can see the eggs they kinda look like a bag of marbles in there tummy. Normally the will slow down or stop eating, refuse to bask they get very restless in there enclosure constantly trying to dig. That's your clue to get them in a laying box. After they lay there eggs they can lay a nother clutch within 4 to 6 weeks.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They will get pretty plump and there belly will sag sometimes you can see the eggs they kinda look like a bag of marbles in there tummy. Normally the will slow down or stop eating, refuse to bask they get very restless in there enclosure constantly trying to dig. That's your clue to get them in a laying box. After they lay there eggs they can lay a nother clutch within 4 to 6 weeks.
Holy cow that soon??!! I couldn't tell with her last time. Granted we had only had her for a week so I didn't know her behavior or normal patterns. Should be easier if she does lay again since we know her better now. Would like a plastic container with some sand do the trick? Or does it have to be a large area of sand?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When our girl was laying we used an Icecream tub filled with damp compacted Sand. We had cut one side out of if and put the lid on so she was digging in a 'cave' and she was fine with that, but I have seen some where it is a deper tub than we used and they leave the lid off and the dragon digs down from above.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use a 36g (i think thats the size) rubber maid tote i use a mixture of topsail and sand about 50/50 and add water. You want it damp enough to make a ball and hold its structure I also put a basking light on it to keep the soil warm.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use a 36g (i think thats the size) rubber maid tote i use a mixture of topsail and sand about 50/50 and add water. You want it damp enough to make a ball and hold its structure I also put a basking light on it to keep the soil warm.
So you just put your female in that until she lays eggs or you put that inside of the enclosure? Because I couldn't fit a 36g tub into a 50g tank??!!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya i just put her in there and keep a eye on her if she starts digging i leave her in there if not i put her back in her enclosure

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya i just put her in there and keep a eye on her if she starts digging i leave her in there if not i put her back in her enclosure
Got it!!!! Thanx! Now when you say you use sand, what kind do you use?

Latest posts