• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Big Before Sand?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
he was an escapee from a friend of mine and was found about a week later in some monkey grass down the street. true story

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sand is FINE. People over exagerate about sand. The pet store where I got my BD has a guy who's life is all reptiles. does reptile shows for most of his life and breeds them and even has a license plate that says 'drgn man' haha he own about ten dragons and breeds all his on sand and has the 15-20 in the store on showcase on sand too. its not that bad really. as long as your beardie is not eating it like its cotton candy all the time. a bit here and there wont hurt 99% of time.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sand is FINE. People over exagerate about sand. The pet store where I got my BD has a guy who's life is all reptiles. does reptile shows for most of his life and breeds them and even has a license plate that says 'drgn man' haha he own about ten dragons and breeds all his on sand and has the 15-20 in the store on showcase on sand too. its not that bad really. as long as your beardie is not eating it like its cotton candy all the time. a bit here and there wont hurt 99% of time.

I would NEVER use sand in my vivs again. We used it a few years ago when we first got our dragons and it caused nothing but problems for one of our girls. When she was getting ready to lay her eggs she would start digging in the corners of her viv, she would dig that much that she lost one of her fingers and now only has one nail on one hand as she basically buffed her fingers away thru the excessive digging in the sand. I now use Porridge Oats, recommended to me by a breeder, and if she feels like a little dig now she can do without causing damage to herself. It's not only thru impaction it can be dangerous, there are other ways too. But everyone has their own preference & opinion - this is mine.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would NEVER use sand in my vivs again. We used it a few years ago when we first got our dragons and it caused nothing but problems for one of our girls. When she was getting ready to lay her eggs she would start digging in the corners of her viv, she would dig that much that she lost one of her fingers and now only has one nail on one hand as she basically buffed her fingers away thru the excessive digging in the sand. I now use Porridge Oats, recommended to me by a breeder, and if she feels like a little dig now she can do without causing damage to herself. It's not only thru impaction it can be dangerous, there are other ways too. But everyone has their own preference & opinion - this is mine.

I have to agree with you I uesed sand at first and it caused more issues then it was worth. Ill never go back to it .

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have to agree with you I uesed sand at first and it caused more issues then it was worth. Ill never go back to it .

Ive had beardies for 10 years, Like most the aesthetics mattered to "ME"... Im still shocked that Cali Sand is available from so called reptile shops as dragons will and do eat it and dragons do die from impaction. The question I ask is.. are you prepared to ignore years of advise and research to be aesthetically pleasing to YOU.... or are you going to stop and think... whats best for my dragon?

Personally I put my dragons health & welfare before aesthetics, using sand is a gamble but a gamble I dont believe a dragon lover will take.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
orrrrr just go get some mineral oil for 2 bucks and a dropper and put it in your dragons mouth. bye bye impaction

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
orrrrr just go get some mineral oil for 2 bucks and a dropper and put it in your dragons mouth. bye bye impaction

Sounds like great advise... actually it doesnt; what that proves is the point that Sand causes Impaction or spikeithard wouldn't have known the answer. Impaction irrespective of if it kills or not inst pleasant for dragons. Why "O" why when so many substrates that are 100% safe do "lovers of Reptiles" want to potentially cause distress or death to a a dragon that hasn't the ability to make the decision itself. We as owners have should decide.. whats important, personally causing unnecessary distress by inserting a dropper of mineral oil into our dragons mouths seems to me to be a rationale for making this aesthetically pleasing irrespective of the danger or distress that maybe caused. Lets face it... do we as humans eat our plates and carpets? why not... sure we'd get constipated but hey a few laxatives will make it all ok

Prevention is better than cure

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree.. prevention is better. But if you choose sand and in the small chance impaction does occur, try the oil before the vets. I am switching over to tile in my new enclosure. part will be tile and the bottom will be a sanded like mod podge finish.

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I agree.. prevention is better. But if you choose sand and in the small chance impaction does occur, try the oil before the vets. I am switching over to tile in my new enclosure. part will be tile and the bottom will be a sanded like mod podge finish.

Sorry if you felt I was attacking you, I wasn't... this sand debate has been going on since man decided to import these beautiful creatures and in all honesty just winds me up when its so unnecessary

Ive used oil before, It does work well especially in conjunction with hot bath, Personally though I'll do anything I can not to cause distress, I do think many new people to this wonderful creature don't realise just how sensitive they are and how forcing anything into them can be extremely distressful.... but its a valid point... the vets are distress ad a good rep vet is like finding chickens teeth.

I just read your other post and im really not picking, but Ive never heard of it.. using Porridge Oates... would that swell in their tummies ? although I'm sure its better than sand. Im going to have to research this as I use Oates amongst other bits in my "Bug Grub"... time to get some oates into water and see what happens..

Take Care

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
[quote="

I just read your other post and im really not picking, but Ive never heard of it.. using Porridge Oates... would that swell in their tummies ? although I'm sure its better than sand. Im going to have to research this as I use Oates amongst other bits in my "Bug Grub"... time to get some oates into water and see what happens..

Take Care[/quote]

Hi Dunc, It is myself thats using the oats. As said in my post they were recomended to my by a breeder as well as the guy I get my food from (he has been keeping Beardies & Snakes for over 30 years). At first I was a bit dubious as well, but I have to admit that my Dragons are fine on it. They dont eat it, and if it does occasionally get eaten it is easily digestible. I did also seek advice from my reptile vet on it too.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Though I understand why people do not like sand, I use sand in my tank. Reptiles are not "domesticated" the same way as a cat or dog is. My point is the same that others have posted. In their natural environment, they live in a dry and arid region of the world. If I were to let my pet cat out into the world, she probably would not harbor much of a chance. Though I am sure she harbors some of her natural instincts, how long it takes her to utilize them could inhibit her survival. Most reptiles are not that complex and retain most of their wild habits. In saying that, I do agree that maybe you should still exert caution with sand. I do agree that you may want to wait until they are a little older. I hope I did not offend anyone with this post, I just think that as long as you are a responsible owner, that everything is fine. George is now almost a year and a half now, and I have never had a problem. Just saying if sand was so bad for them ,then why are they native to a region that is known to have a good deal of it?

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The 'reptile man' at our cities main reptile pet shop has had reptiles all his life and breeds all kinds. he does reptile shows too. he said he has always used sand and never has had a problem. Im switching to tile in my new enclosure just for cleanliness, not because impaction reasons. although not having to worry about the odd chance of impaction is just a bonus.

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
[quote="

Take Care

Hi Dunc, It is myself thats using the oats. As said in my post they were recomended to my by a breeder as well as the guy I get my food from (he has been keeping Beardies & Snakes for over 30 years). At first I was a bit dubious as well, but I have to admit that my Dragons are fine on it. They dont eat it, and if it does occasionally get eaten it is easily digestible. I did also seek advice from my reptile vet on it too.

Hi Ya Dragonsx6, thanks for replying, this may sound a tad daft.. Ive been searching the internet for anyone else that uses Oates.. your certainly unique in this, but from many angles I can see a potential benefits, 1, Oates are fairly cheap in comparison to commercial substrate 2, they are used in various products that remove unwanted smell 3, They will absorb moisture and any liquid products..

Im also fairly Lucky that I have some great friends Ive met over the last 10 years rescuing these beautiful creatures that Ive a serious wealth of knowledge available. But ive rang 3 so far with a total of over 100 years experience of reptiles and the same question comes up... dont Oates have a dust base? Ive just grabbed my Oates (I love them as much as my crix) and they do have an amount of dust which worries me from a potential repository point.

So my daft question, What Oates are you using, do you prepare them in any way before using them to remove the dust?... I did have a giggle when I looked at your profile and see your from Scotland :D

Take Care[/quote]

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Rest assured Dunc none of my 6 have any respitory difficulties. I dont use any special type, just supermarkets own. But like everything else everyone has their own ways of doing things. I had been using Sand before this and one of my girls has lost fingers on both front feet thru digging the sand. I had been speaking with my contacts and asking if they had any ideas as to what I could use as an alternative as I really didnt want her getting hurt anymore and they had suggested using it as they also use it. Have been using it almost a year now and everything is fine. This is only my preference tho Dunc I do not tell anyone else to use it I only say what I use.

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Rest assured Dunc none of my 6 have any respitory difficulties. I dont use any special type, just supermarkets own. But like everything else everyone has their own ways of doing things. I had been using Sand before this and one of my girls has lost fingers on both front feet thru digging the sand. I had been speaking with my contacts and asking if they had any ideas as to what I could use as an alternative as I really didnt want her getting hurt anymore and they had suggested using it as they also use it. Have been using it almost a year now and everything is fine. This is only my preference tho Dunc I do not tell anyone else to use it I only say what I use.

Hi Dragonx6, I must admit I can get hipped up about sand, I unfortunately lost one due to sand impaction when I first got into the little guys and gals... possibly my ignorance and possibly the sand, but Its something that I know I wont do again.

Roxy.. Ive just posted a video of her, if one of my favourite ladies, But she was so badly mistreated when I got her she now is spoiled and only eats from outside the viv... Shes now the proud owner on Oat substrate

Take Care

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Totally understand the Sand Issue Dunc, mine isnt thru impaction but injury to my girl, she was also mis treated, malnourished, severely underweight when we got her.
You take care too

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
MY OPINION"S ONLY!!!

Well, l tell you. I am an aussie. I live in Victoria, a few hours away from Melbourne. I have NEVER seen any live reptiles where we are. Nor have l seen Kangaroos, Koala's, Wombats or Dingo's for that matter. I live on the outskirts of our town and we are surrounded by bush. If we travel either inland or up the coast we see alot of dead Roo's and Wombats on the roads but again never any snakes or lizards. I know as a kid, we went on a daytrip somewhere (can't remember where, memory not too great) and l remember my dad pulling over the car and getting a bluetongue off the road. I will never forget the look on his face when it turned and clamped onto his hand....

I know other people have seen bluey's in our area which like l said is more bush, so i would have to agree with Bill. Also when you travel inland you have to remember we do have alot of sand and dessert but it's not like at the beach. It's hard and compact. Not many animals would be able to burrow into it.
I am not going to use sand etc, for cleanliness as well, l believe papertowel and ceramic tiles are better. (again, just my opinion)

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I just stumbled upon this thread and read the OP's question. I recommend never using sand. Don't see a reason to risk the health of your beardie. I use non-adhesive shelf liner (without holes) ;)