• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

High humidity level

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everyone,
How do I get the humidity level to go down in Harry's cage. I am worried about him getting sick. It is real high. I am using a repti sun 10.0 bulb and a 60 watt household bulb for basking. He has tile and paper towel substrate and he does have a bowl of water in enclosure. Please help.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Well the water in the tank adds to the high humidity, so I suggest taking out the water bowl first. I live in a swampy area and I had a huge problem with the humidity in my beardies tank so I bought a dehumidifier and it has worked great! They are kind of pricey but they have a bunch of different ones and you don't need the most expensive kind. Also you may want to have the basking bulb be at a higger wattage. The hot light gets rid of humidity as well. Hope I could help!! :)

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you We had a higher watt bulb until my daughter broke it by accident. I will get another one tomorrow. I wish I could take the water dish out, but Harry goes in it every morning. It's like coffee to him. He wakes up goes for a dip and then basks then eats some food. He is silly, but it is his morning routine, lol. I was thinking it was the bulb but I wasn't too sure.We has a 100 watt in before and the humidity stayed really low, but of course I didn't think of that when I saw the humidity so high today. Off to the store tomorrow to get another one. Thank you again!.

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
So now I have the 100 watt basking bulb and a uvb bulb for Harry. During the day I noticed the humidity level is real low and Harry seems fine. At night his lights go off at 9:00 and I go downstairs around 10 or 11. When I come back up around 1 or 2 AM I always check on Harry and I have noticed the past several days that the humidity is REAL high. It is starting to worry me. The water is out of the tank at night, the house is around 75 degrees right now and not humid at all in the house just his tank. What do I do?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What do you call real high, that is only relative when you have something to compare it too. What is it reading?

Take the water bowl out completely, just because something is routine doesn't make it a good one. If you are having humidity problems, it is not helping whether or not it is in there for part or all of the day or night. That being said ...
Germ said:
Humidity has not ever bothered mine & I live in a high humidity area. When I lived on Vancouver Island for 2 years the Humidity was rarely under 60% & where I live now, depending on the weather, it generally ranges from 40-60+%. Ideally, we would want to have the Humidity @ 10-30%, but short of dehumidifying the whole home & have to keep the windows buttoned up, not an option for me &\or many of us, there is not much we can do to bring it down. The most we can do is keep any added moisture like water bowls & misting out of the enclosure. If mine are any indication, they adapt quite well.
Keeping the air moving, as you mentioned may help. In the summer I have a window fan in my critter room, that I use as an exhaust fan during the day to take the hot air out (I have a lot of lights going in a small room with all my enclosures), and as an Intake fan at night to help cool the room.
How long has it not been eating? It is not uncommon for them to go off their food for a few days & is quite normal, providing it doesn't go on for weeks. If you don't see any drastic visible weight loss, then you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
@ Pat - AC dehumidifies the air as it cools it, so as you say, that may be helping your situation.

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
The humidity temp gauge in the tank says 30% during the day and 60-80% at night. I take the bowl out every night and you are right it doesn't seem to be affecting him. I just thought it would. I have read that you are not supposed to let it get that high. Harry seems like he is fine no breathing funny and no signs of respiratory issues.

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
Yes he drinks from the bowl and then he will lay in it and it looks like he soaks for a few. It's odd, almost like he is hot and just lays in it. He will take a drink as soon as he wakes up before he will bask. This is every day since we got him.

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry to jump in on this.
Do dragons not need a permanent source of water?
I have one in the current viv but never seems to be drank out of. Just the occasional dip in it.
Do they get enough moisture from the crickets and veg?

Thanks.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most of us do not provide a water bowl, as very few BDs will recognize standing water & use it or drink from it. It just raises the humidity in the enclosure. If you are using a sand substrate as you intend on using in your new enclosure, water bowls are not recommended because it will wet the substrate from splashing & going in and out, providing a haven for bacteria growth. They receive ample hydration from their veggies, regular periodic mistings & warm soaks.

Ausbd

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have been thinking of removing my water bowl as I have never seen my bd drink from it at all. But I really don't have any humidity issues either. I less thing to worry about and to clean. I will remove it and see how he goes.

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
I take Harry's bowl out at night, but he likes it during the day. He will soak in it for a bit, bask, soak, take a drink, bask again. He loves the water. I just make sure it is clean every day and I take it out at night to help with the humidity. Some beardies hate the water, Harry hates the bath, but loves his bowl of water. Weird, but he is in it every day.

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
DSC04020.jpg
This Harry likes his water bowl/pool
DSC04011.jpg

Ausbd

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's awesome. You are right.....he loves it. Only time I see him in there is when he was chasing crickets.