• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hide Placement Recommendations

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
I just received a large corner hide https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...2WjTGrCcfTDLh6cX_RHJM7zPkzSuJIKBoC8GoQAvD_BwE

Any suggestions regarding where I should place it in the enclosure? Tabaluga spends 90% of his time on the log, on the hot (left) side of the tank. I don't want to screw up the vibe that he's grown used to. I'm afraid if I put the hide on the cool side it will never get used. Would it be appropriate to put it on the hot side (left)?
tank.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That’s how i have mine, opposite sides but the same, i have found in my experience with my dragon that it helps her wake up in the morning (pictures: New and old enclosure)

Attachments

• 0844CA19-F73B-4F80-ABF6-40FDE2713F5F.jpeg
    0844CA19-F73B-4F80-ABF6-40FDE2713F5F.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 50
  • CC8E5C47-5CF2-4C13-9968-A7504D4C1ADD.png
    CC8E5C47-5CF2-4C13-9968-A7504D4C1ADD.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 49

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It would be alot easier for him to bask with the new hide, you want them to be able to pancake out ive found

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
That’s how i have mine, opposite sides but the same, i have found in my experience with my dragon that it helps her wake up in the morning (pictures: New and old enclosure)
I really like the natural look of your enclosure. I'm wondering if I should use some sort of substrate in my enclosure. I know one of the concerns is impaction, however, Tabaluga ONLY eats salad off of a plate, and I generally feed him live insects from tongs (he doesn't eat food off of the floor of the enclosure). Does your dragon poop in the substrate? How do you deal with that? Just scoop up the poop and substrate together, then replace substrate if/when you need more?

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
It would be alot easier for him to bask with the new hide, you want them to be able to pancake out ive found
Sounds like you are saying it might be "better" to have the large hide on the hot side, which would move the logs where he usually basks, more toward the middle of the tank. The hide would give him a larger area for basking, and/or hiding inside. I'm guessing the inside of the hide getting hot is not a concern (could it get hotter than outside?)...?

I'm slightly concerned that the hide I got is TOO big...is that a possibility, or is bigger=better with this kind of thing?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I really like the natural look of your enclosure. I'm wondering if I should use some sort of substrate in my enclosure. I know one of the concerns is impaction, however, Tabaluga ONLY eats salad off of a plate, and I generally feed him live insects from tongs (he doesn't eat food off of the floor of the enclosure). Does your dragon poop in the substrate? How do you deal with that? Just scoop up the poop and substrate together, then replace substrate if/when you need more?
There’s enough of pros vs cons to make the argument for substrate go either way, it really depends on you tbh, if youre meticulous and have good cleaning habits, it should prove to be of no issue, however some substrates are straight up no nos, regular sand, bark chips (i use them but its risky if ur dragon eats off the floor) mine gets hand fed every day) if i were to make some recommendations, “play sand” the only acceptable sand, an abg mix, potting soil (no fertilizers) coco fiber, spagnum moss, “dirt”, and excavator clay, “stone desert” brand excavator clay, a mixture is always gonna be better than just a mono-substrate, for cleaning, getting up the urate isnt as important as getting the stool,I usually get a big handful of the substrate and throw it all away, if u have any more questions lemme know. Look up bioactives on YouTube, you dont have to add bugs or plants to make it semi bioactive.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Uhh, idk tbh about it being too big, in my experience with lizards they like to cram themselves in tight spaces, but bearded dragons arnt like most lizards, and ive found they love to really spread out, definitely put some kind of soft cloth in the bed, they do love soft things, and wherever ur dragons sleeps either have slate down cloth or something, so its not sleeping on substrate.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would place the hide in the cool side of the corner he will use it to sleep in --- the log you are using under the basking lamp take the big stick part in the air and lay it of the floor the big trunk piece under the basking light - it will give a gradient heat in the tank so he can pick a spot of where he wants to bask- I have the same piece in my tanks

Attachments

• Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 45

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
I’m really happy with how this turned out. Tabaluga was interested and immediately started exploring. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• B7AF5718-C4E2-40DB-9580-E785EF9B8E57.jpeg
    B7AF5718-C4E2-40DB-9580-E785EF9B8E57.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 31
  • DB4D0A78-CECF-4EDF-BCF3-901217745A5B.jpeg
    DB4D0A78-CECF-4EDF-BCF3-901217745A5B.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 30
  • C2120BB0-7579-4656-9157-76ED774B050D.jpeg
    C2120BB0-7579-4656-9157-76ED774B050D.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 33