• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi I am new to the Form

chelml67

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I was doing a search about bearded dragons and coconut oil and came across this site. I own a beardie, his name is Izzy. I have had him almost 1 1/2 years. He is super sweet and loves to snuggle and go for rides in the car. Tonight he is going to church with me. We are starting a new series on pets. This will be in with Kindergartners through 2nd graders. Wondering if there are any fun facts or things that maybe I am unaware of that I can share with them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum!! My gal is named Izzy as well!!! lol She loves to snuggle as well. Well you've had him a long time and you likely know about their 3rd eye...the parietal eye ontop of their head that can detect shadows from above like predators... They would think that's pretty cool

Yea coconut oil is good to help with shedding but make sure you rinse him very well before he goes back under the basking lights so not to burn.. More people are starting to use Aloe in the bath as it's better and safer for them.

chelml67

Bearded Dragon Egg
No I actually didn't know about the Parietal eye, that is really cool. I have done a lot of research and never came across that. Thanks.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No I actually didn't know about the Parietal eye, that is really cool. I have done a lot of research and never came across that. Thanks.
It's the 1 scale ontop of their head right in the middle its often a grey in color not like the others.. it's an organ that detects shadows from above. It's that organ that makes it important not to use any light at night as that keeps them awake instead of getting the sleep they need.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hdrydr31 beat me too it! So I am going to go with the other organ. They have something called the Jacobson's Organ, it's located right at the front of the roof of their mouth. Bearded dragons lick everything for a reason. When they lick something, the tip of their tongue goes back in and touches that organ and it helps then decide if something is safe or not :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hdrydr31 beat me too it! So I am going to go with the other organ. They have something called the Jacobson's Organ, it's located right at the front of the roof of their mouth. Bearded dragons lick everything for a reason. When they lick something, the tip of their tongue goes back in and touches that organ and it helps then decide if something is safe or not :)
Yep that's another interesting one :) Cats have that too but they don't do what dragons do they just look like they are snarling lol