• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Het zero- breeding- general help?

Dragon-lovin-mum

Hatchling Dragon
Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum....
I currently have 2 dragons. A male and female, aged 20months and 21 months.
My female is a citrus dragon. Male is a het zero.
Now I’ve put them together and they show all the signs of being interested to mate but when it comes to it- it don’t happen.
I know my male was used for breeding previously as he was the pet shops breeder in the past. As far as I know the girl had never laid eggs or been used for breeding(I’ve only had her a few months). I’ve tried separating them and reintroduced them. Any ideas? Do some dragons just not mate- is there worth trying a different male or female?
The viva are both very large so space isn’t an issue I don’t think.

now my next question is- I was going to try and breed these to get a feel for it but ultimately I’d love to breed a few zero dragons and from what I’ve read getting another het zero female is the most healthy way of this- is this correct?

just as a side note- I’m not doing this for the money, I’m aware of the huge costs involved but for my love of the dragons and because I think it’d be a nice experience.
Finally-are red or white basking lights better?
I had white and one of my vivs still has the white basking bulb but the reptile shop sold me a red one when my second viv needed replacing- I’m not sure it’s made a difference but would like opinions please.
Thank you in advance for any answers

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fisrt
Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum....
I currently have 2 dragons. A male and female, aged 20months and 21 months.
My female is a citrus dragon. Male is a het zero.
Now I’ve put them together and they show all the signs of being interested to mate but when it comes to it- it don’t happen.
I know my male was used for breeding previously as he was the pet shops breeder in the past. As far as I know the girl had never laid eggs or been used for breeding(I’ve only had her a few months). I’ve tried separating them and reintroduced them. Any ideas? Do some dragons just not mate- is there worth trying a different male or female?
The viva are both very large so space isn’t an issue I don’t think.

now my next question is- I was going to try and breed these to get a feel for it but ultimately I’d love to breed a few zero dragons and from what I’ve read getting another het zero female is the most healthy way of this- is this correct?

just as a side note- I’m not doing this for the money, I’m aware of the huge costs involved but for my love of the dragons and because I think it’d be a nice experience.
Finally-are red or white basking lights better?
I had white and one of my vivs still has the white basking bulb but the reptile shop sold me a red one when my second viv needed replacing- I’m not sure it’s made a difference but would like opinions please.
Thank you in advance for any answers
first of welcome to the forum the community is great and I have gotten so much great feeding back to give frank( my baby bearded dragon) the best life ever. I don’t know a lot about breeding but I will tel you the things I know first of what kind of uvb are you giving them. Also how big are the tanks.. And no color bulbs please just use regula. If they breed make sure to put a lay box (you probably already new that) and ya that’s all I know

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Red bulbs = no no, welcome to the forum, thats cool you’re starting a little project, but i must give you caution, first off stop trying to pair them(i know shocking) im a first time beardie owner , but i have had plenty of lizards growing up and ive bred Lgeckos, western fence lizards, anoles, a couple types of skinks and a box turtle, we need to worry about the female first and foremost ! You want her to be as healthy and as fat going into this (as well as ur male), how many grams is she? , producing fertile eggs really puts a strain on girls, has she ever shown signs of digging? may we see your female and male , aswell as pictures of their setup, pet shops arnt always the best source of information, I wouldn’t trust them for your husbandry going forward, please do some of your own research as well and dont just take my word or anyone else’s , you need to approach this situation with much care and love, i know you said you dont plan to make money from this project but when and if you end up with 37 fertilized eggs you’ll need to re-evaluate your situation, id get in contact with people as soon as you know shes a productive female(dont wait till you got fertile eggs) , you need to be in contact with a exotic vet aswell in case she gets eggbound, can you see why i said hold off on pairing them? There’s alot of prep work to be done if shes gravid , I wouldn’t go into this project half baked its so important that you get everything right from the beginning, cause even if you’re doing everything right there can still be bad situations that transpire, if you can give us as much information about your husbandry that’d be helpful. ~skylar

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Red bulbs = no no, welcome to the forum, thats cool you’re starting a little project, but i must give you caution, first off stop trying to pair them(i know shocking) im a first time beardie owner , but i have had plenty of lizards growing up and ive bred Lgeckos, western fence lizards, anoles, a couple types of skinks and a box turtle, we need to worry about the female first and foremost ! You want her to be as healthy and as fat going into this (as well as ur male), how many grams is she? , producing fertile eggs really puts a strain on girls, has she ever shown signs of digging? may we see your female and male , aswell as pictures of their setup, pet shops arnt always the best source of information, I wouldn’t trust them for your husbandry going forward, please do some of your own research as well and dont just take my word or anyone else’s , you need to approach this situation with much care and love, i know you said you dont plan to make money from this project but when and if you end up with 37 fertilized eggs you’ll need to re-evaluate your situation, id get in contact with people as soon as you know shes a productive female(dont wait till you got fertile eggs) , you need to be in contact with a exotic vet aswell in case she gets eggbound, can you see why i said hold off on pairing them? There’s alot of prep work to be done if shes gravid , I wouldn’t go into this project half baked its so important that you get everything right from the beginning, cause even if you’re doing everything right there can still be bad situations that transpire, if you can give us as much information about your husbandry that’d be helpful. ~skylar
Great advice make sure you do sky bug is a lot more of an exspert than I am