• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Here is Bowsers Home. Need Ideas and advise

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If I went to say lows to get the UVB bulb and basking bulb what would I look for
between a 100-150watt "white light" bulb for basking and a floresent bulb, i believe a 25 watt will work though im not sure. some poeple dont like useing the compact floresent bulbs as they dont work as well as the none compact ones.

so i would segest a 25watt non-compact floresent bulb

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
it should, though you have to use it and see what temps it brings your new tank too, its better to aim for the max heat then the minimal heat acceptable. and as i said before my 150 watt bulb only gets my tank to 108F so 100watts may not be enough.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
150W for 20 gal in most situations is Overkill & much too hot for on the screen mounting on a 12" tall enclosure!!!.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I'm at lows and for the basking light will a standard 100 watt soft white bulb work
It very likely will, possibly too hot, there are too many variables, distance from bulb to basking spot, ambient room temps, screen no screen, etc to say what will work for you & what won't. We all have to play with different wattages, distances, types of bulbs, to find what works for each individual set up.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
between a 100-150watt "white light" bulb for basking and a floresent bulb, i believe a 25 watt will work though im not sure. some poeple dont like useing the compact floresent bulbs as they dont work as well as the none compact ones.
so i would segest a 25watt non-compact floresent bulb
You are making it sound like any regular Fluorescent bulb will work for UVB ...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If I went to say lows to get the UVB bulb and basking bulb what would I look for
You won't find the specialty UVB bulb at Lowes, you will likely have to go to a pet supply for it. As suggested, a 10.0 or 10% is recommended.

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I will keep an eye on the Temp and adjust as needed. Also I did check and they gave me a 5.0 my next purchase will be a 10.0. Here are some pic of Bowsers new home. Hope he is more confortible.
IMG_0320-1.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Much better, you can get by with the 5.0 but I suggest exchanging it for a 10.0, or at least raising the basking spot a couple of inches so it is closer to the UVB & adjust the heat accordingly.

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so far with the 150W Soft White $3 bulb I am seeing 105 degrees at the hottest spot so far. I will check again later to make sure it is not to hot for Bowser

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry I forgot to mention I went to radio shack and bought a infered thermomitor
As much as I like my Infrared thermometers, they have their applications & your situation is not one of them. For use with a full screen top, digital with a sensor is much more practical & accurate. In order to check the temps with a Temp Gun (Infrared) you have to raise the screen, raising the heat fixtures & in doing so, throwing out the actual readings. Temps have to be taken while everything is in place as it normally is.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so far with the 150W Soft White $3 bulb I am seeing 105 degrees at the hottest spot so far. I will check again later to make sure it is not to hot for Bowser
Wait 3-4 hrs & you will get more accurate temps because it has to warm everything in the enclosure right now, once everything is warmed up, your temps will be higher.

Wellovelizards

Hatchling Dragon
The right UVB is so important...once I got that straightened out my girl just began to thrive. What greens are u trying. My girl hates collards but loves mustard greens and kale. I kept trying til we found what she likes. How old is he.