• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Here is Bowsers Home. Need Ideas and advise

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Ok here is Bowsers home. I am new to this and the pet shop was not a bit of help. I went to lows and picked up some stone for him to bask in. For now I am using Reptile carpet I bought some tile but it is to big so I need to take it back and get smaller. I checked the temp and on the top stone it is at 90 degrees on the branch it gets to about 115 That seems hot. I dont like his home and needs some ideas.

Thanks.

Bowser4.jpg

Bowser3.jpg

Bowser2.jpg

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
A young bearded dragon NEEDs its basking spot to be between 100-110F it needs this heat and light to properly digest its food and absorb energy. The cool side I believe should be between 80-90, though I'm not sure.

And that tank seems to be a ten gallon tank, you should upgrade to a bigger tank ASAP, a 30 gallon long would hold him for some time, though a 40+ tank is needed for an adult dragon to live in. You could use a 20 gallon long tAnk though he would outgrow it fast. Might last like 3 months.

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Yes it is a 10 gallon Like I metioned the pet store was not any help they sold that tank to me as a kit and told me he would be fine in it for about a year. LOL yeah right. Any way. I am in south Florida for work right now and will be going back home in May. My plan was to leave this tank here and get him a bigger tank when I get home so I dont have to ship a huge tank.

I.heart.my.bd

Juvenile Dragon
Yes it is a 10 gallon Like I metioned the pet store was not any help they sold that tank to me as a kit and told me he would be fine in it for about a year. LOL yeah right. Any way. I am in south Florida for work right now and will be going back home in May. My plan was to leave this tank here and get him a bigger tank when I get home so I dont have to ship a huge tank.

That isn't the correct tank for any amount of time. While I am NOT proud my other beadie died a few days ago due to not having proper things for him in time. I now have another and up to regs with everything and he is doing great. Plus a tank that size for any amount of time doesn't give him/her proper heating temps which could mean he is too hot/too cold which isn't good for his/her digestion. Not tryna come off mean, but I would hate to see you lose yours/get sick due to not having proper things for him/her. Sadly, I had to learn the hard way, because like you, the pet store misguided me and I came on here a little too late!

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The kits in my opinion are not very good, I have not seen any that had everything you needed. What are you feeding him as well.

Also what Are you using to take temps in the tank? I will still strongly advice that you get at least a 20 gallon tank for untill may. It's not too big and ships ok, but a ten gallon is just to small.

When I first joined here I had mine in a ten gallon, and I'm sorry I ever had him in there. Dragons need lots of free space to run around in.

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Bowsers likes his crikets and I also offer a range of fruits and vegie every day He does not pay much attention to them though. the only vegie I have seen him eat is a bell pepper. I do cut all the fruits and vegies into bite size peices.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bowsers likes his crikets and I also offer a range of fruits and vegie every day He does not pay much attention to them though. the only vegie I have seen him eat is a bell pepper. I do cut all the fruits and vegies into bite size peices.
Awesome, I assume you dust his live food too?

I'm glad to see your concerned for your dragons well being, having the right tank and getting the heat/light just right makes a healthy happy dragon

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Josh... just wondering, do you have a UVB in that dual fixture? Oh, and Bell peppers are a fruit :/

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes I do dust his crikets and fruit and vegie. Its kinda funny but the crikets look like powder sugar crikets he seems to like them. Well I am on my way to the pet store to try and find a better tank.
Ok, look into a digital thermomitor while your there if you don't have one.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
good point! I had to do that..I had to go from 75w to 100w and now it's perfect!
i have to use a 150watt in my 20 gallon just to get my temps at 108F, though my parents have the air inside my house at 74F which may be effecting my need for such a big bulb.

i use a 10.0, i have heard the 5.0 are not great.

I.heart.my.bd

Juvenile Dragon
i have to use a 150watt in my 20 gallon just to get my temps at 108F, though my parents have the air inside my house at 74F which may be effecting my need for such a big bulb.

i use a 10.0, i have heard the 5.0 are not great.
yes, I use now a 10.0, but made the mistake of originally buying a 5.0