• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help, my beardie is shaking..

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Great stuff about the basking.

Yes they can have KIWI, only as a treat tho, not a staple. I taught mine to eat greens with it, i put some in her salad daily for a week or so, when she went for the KIWI she inevitably got a mouth full of other goodies as well, then i just added less and less KIWI to the salad during the course of the week and she figured salads werent as bad as she thought. LOL

Have you seen the beautifull dragons nutrition chart? All the greens and veg are colour coded. Green codes are great staples, black are occasionals say bout 3 times a week MAX , blue is rarely (this is where youll find the KIWI) and the red and yellow i usualy avoid completely

Heres the link if youre interrested
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Oh and right at the bottom of that page is safe plants and flowers you can feed also.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oo Ill give that a go haha sneakyyy lol
N yehh I use that colour chart all the time I had it up on my phone when we went to tescos n got butternut squash red bell pepper blueberries and raspberries :) on that chart the cereal cherios is yellow but they r full of vitamins, shud I still stay away from the cheerios?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yup, i totally avaoid yellow and red items. Its not worth risking my Dragon for a "questionable" or "never" item.

You can supply the vits in cheerios thru feeding other items from the green and black list.
Cheerios have vits D, A and B . . . too much vit A is NOT good, All dark green leaf veg contains Vit B, so that one is sorted, D3 is made within the reptiles body if they are exposed to adequate amounts of UVB. It is synthesised by the UVB, so no worries there either.....I have never used a D3 calcium supplement as i take mine outside weekly for natural UVB and she has 14 hrs a day Repti Sun exposure

Basically all ive ever fed, and will feed is
Collards
Dandelion
Mustard
Rocket
Butternut
Sweet potatoe
Swiss chard
Green, yellow and red peppers
Cucumber
Curly leaf lettuces (For hydration not nutrition)
Patty Pans
Squashes (all kinds) and pumpkin
Carrot tops (Not the carrot)
Turnip tops
As weekly treats only . . . .
Blue berries
Melons
Peaches
KIWI
Strawberries
Prickly pear fruit

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ahh ok cool ill keep that in mind then, also I cant find collard greens or mustard greens in any supermarket here wich is annoying..
I have just rearranged his tank n taken out all hiding spaces I shall pist a pic now

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Collards are hard to find here also, I basically grow all my own leafy greens and buy the fruit and veggies

Do you use Photobucket to upload pics to, and then insert the URL here?

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Can I buy them as seeds then and grow them indoors as I dnt have a garden?
N no I do it via my phone and normally just click 'upload file but its not lettin me for some reason and we dnt have Internet wifi atm so cant do ut with the laptop, :/

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yup. I grow my greens in pots on the porch.
So i recon indoors would work as long as there is enough light

Ive never used the phone to upload before....maybe theres a connection error.and you can retry later

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
2011-12-22 15.22.29.jpg

2011-12-22 15.22.12.jpg

2011-12-22 15.21.40.jpg

Finally managed to put pics up, as u can see ive rearranged his tank, he didnt like it at first but hes been basking this morning and he has even gone to the toilet today :) for the first time in a week and a half :)

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The new setup looks good. I swear its in their genes to poop in a new space,

whether you just cleaned it or rearranged it they haveto christen it by poopingin it LOL
He seems happy there now. Nice and toasty

If i may ask, what substrate are you using?
Don’t wanna come off as judgemental but do you know ALL the risks regarding loose substrates?
ANY loose substrates.....

Besides the possibility of them ingesting it and getting blocked up,
there’s the very high bacteria risk, which could cause health problems.

Here’s a link to a thread in diff substrates, I know the OP of this post and it’s a really good read
It gives all the pros and cons from experience of all types
May i suggest you read it so you can make an informed decision regarding this

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/my-experiences-with-different-substrates.90/#post-653

If you feel you need to use a particle/loose substrate the absolute best is plain old normal children’s play sand

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hi p yeh he seems alot happier, the substrate is chipsie mais wich is loose corn cob... at the end of the month we r thinkin of getting repticarpet or astroturf... im glad he pooped as i was worried about his bowels..

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
im glad he pooped as i was worried about his bowels..​

Yay for poopies, never thought poop can make a person happy LOL

Oh good, corn cob is real bad if ingested, almost as bad as walnut. It does not digest and rips their insides to pieces

at the end of the month we r thinkin of getting repticarpet or astroturf​

Just a note about astroturf and repticarpet, get enough so you can replace weekly. The liquid from poop soaks in and it needs to be thoroughly washed and sterilised weekly to kill off bacteria. And while it dries you need something to replace it with

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
haha yep, happy for poopy LOL
ahh i see, well underneath the corn cob we have kitchen lino maybe we will just go bak to using that?
with the play sand i heard it was bad for beardies as is all sand but i red that calci sand is the recommended of all sands, :/ confused.com haha

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Normal play sand is the safest particle substrate, did you check out that link i gave...
The issue with calci sand (And basically all reptile sand mixes) is when it gets wet (From poop, water, humidity) it clumps up and hardens like cement, and if ingested accidentally can you immagine the hard cement like clumps inside the BD?

Play sand has been used safely for adults by a few who are willing to go the extra mile, and is not really recommended for babies and juvies.
AND with sand you need to alter your husbandry slightly to make sure all goes well

I absolutely love the look of sand.....BUT i dont want the hasle it brings with, daily cleaning of about 5 inches diameter of each poop. Monthly replacing ALL the sand to ensure no hidden bacteria is lingering. Altering temps to aid in digestion for incase they accidentally ate some. So Ill admire sand users Vivs from afar......and daydream

I used to have astroturf, got so annoyed with the constant washing and sterilising weekly i switched to texture ceramic tile. It is sooooooo amazing. It cleans easy, is durable, files their nails "so yay... no nail clipping needed", is not edible and looks great as there are so may textures and patterns to choose from.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hi p sorry for the long reply...
i think were going to head towards textured ceramic tiling....yeh i checked out ur link n i think that once we sort our money out thats what were going to use..
we have kitchen lino at the moment underneath the loose substrate so i think were going to remove the chipsie mais and have the lino for now untill we get some tiles :)

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey there,

Awesome decision. Keep me posted on the progress and more dragon pics are always welcome

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi p
Zuko went for a wax worm twice yesterday...he missed it both times so he gave up :(
I dnt know what to do :(
Also is it possible for a dragon to fear their owners? Cuz weve obviously had to resort to force feeding him every now and again im thinkin maybe the trembelling is a result of fear when he sees us, wich is really upsetting as I really dont want him thinkin that we are doing it to be mean :(

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Aww thats too bad he missed the wormies :(

Just keep up what youre doing. Have you been giving the brewers yeast? Or did he get the Vit B shot?

I would not say they fear us, but they do get to NOT like us when we are forced to force or rather assist feed them.
I had to do it 1.5 yrs ago with mine and meds and she just "knew" when it was coming and shed try to run and scramble to get away.
BUT on the bright side also, she has not remembered it since. She is way relaxed and cuddly. Its like a child, hates taking meds or stuff thats good for them, but they still love you anyway afterwards. They know its for their benefit and like to make a fuss to make us feel bad.

Maybe try opening the lips by gently pulling on the lower lip with your finger and slipping a wormie in there and see if it helps.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i havent managed to get the brewers yeast yet but he did have a multi vitamin shot, he had a little bit of his salad yesterday n i have been "assisting" him with his food, instead of trying to open his mouth i have been puttin sum apple sauce on the crickets and worms he licks it then wallah...i quickly shove it in its so much easier....

i really hope hes not scared of us, i always make big fusses over him telling him hes a good booy n gives him lots of kisses n snuggles, do they know thats us being effectionate to them?? thats wat ive been wanting to know...do they know were praising them n everytime im sitting by his tank i talk to him...he looks at me n tilts his head like hes really listening to me...so cute....

we now have another problem...spyros not a big eater but man her belly is HUGE!! and feels like its about to pop :eek: ..

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hello p

just a lil updated,,,
not much difference, but hes stopped with the hiding, n hes out on his log and basking all the time, he loves being out but unfortunutley he still giving up after 1 unsuccesful attempt on catchin his food so i am still having to assist him, just wondering where can i get bee pollen from? i heard its a good apetite simulant?