• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help, my beardie is shaking..

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hi P
thanks again for all this advice ur takin ur time to give me,
so funny....i just red this out to my boyfriend n told him to type into ebay "temp gun"...he says "no need" goes in his tool box n gets 1 out lol!! i didnt remember him having one! he uses it to measure the heat coming from his revo truck....
bit of a problem, thier thermostats cnt actually go up any higher :/ could this be because all 3 tanks r stacked up on top of each other so thier absorbing the heat from each others tanks so it wnt go any higher???...the temp gun reads all 3 tanks 93 on basking spot wich is way off what it shud be and cud answer all our problems :/​
No worries, always happy to help
Yup 93 is way too cool for them, the vivs stacked should actualy make the 2 upper ones hotter due to then absorbing heat from the ones below, so it definately wont let them be cooler. WHat watt basking bulb do you currently use?
If for example you have a 60W now, try a 75W or 100W to increase the temps, OR make the basking spots higher (If possible and it wont cause yoyr BD's to get to it and get burned)
Maybe if you can post a pic of your setup, it may help me see what can be altered to help out.
Awesome about the temp gun, at least now youll have correct temp readings and we can work with that to correct them.

he doesnt seem to stagger but he does have trouble catching his food....even if its on the tweezers he has trouble aiming for it, i think n correct me if im wrong that this is just down to bad hand/eye coordination (when he actually does eat)​

Ok then once the temps are corrected and were sure theyre absorbing everything the shaking is probably being cause dby a vitamin B deficiency as i orogonally thought,
A thiamine (B1)deficiency is characterized by nervous disorders such as: twitching, spasms, blindness, abnormal posture, and an inability to use specific muscle groups. It also causes correctable disorders such as "drunkeness" or staggering when walking, bad aim when hunting.

Adding green foods to the diet, or a pinch of brewers yeast over salads will correct this if in early stages. If the deficiency is progressed, injections are needed from a vet

Hope this info helps, B1 deficiency isnt really such a big deal and is correctable as with the calcium deficiency

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
2011-12-16 17.18.42.jpg

This is zukos lights, reptisun 10.0 uvb and 100watt basking
2011-12-16 17.17.59.jpg

This is zuko and his set up,
We are taking him to the vet in the week for a vitamin b injection, but I dnt know wat to do about the temps as the lights we have r brand new and basking bulb is 100watt :/

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OK the spot i placed the arrow in this pic is a bit far from the basking bulb . . . . is this also the spot where you took the measurement with the temp gun?

2011-12-16_17_17_591.jpg

Try moving the branch i marked here with the arrow to right unde the basking bulb and see what the reading is then

2011-12-16_17_17_592.jpg

As for the injections, good luck. Have you tried the home remedies yet? The brewers yeast and dark green leafy greens like mustard, rocket, swiss chard, collards . . . . the darker the green the more B1 it contains

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hellooo,
yes that is the spot we pointed the gun at wich read at 93, wen i get home (as ive been away for the night) i will highten the bark and see what reading we have then, is the uvb in the right place? maybe we should move the thermestat? (white wire) n no i havent tried the brewers yeast yet, and he always has greens in his bowl as u can see from the pic, fresh greens every day but he doesnt touch them :( maybe i cud do with the brewers yeast what i do with his calcium and vitamins wich is mix the powder with baby food and feed it to him through a needless syringe from the vets, can i get brewers yeast from my local supermarket??

also, how do u think he looks,? im yet to get some scales to weigh him as ours broke but do u think he looks a healthy weight and he looks healthy?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lots of them dont dig salads in the beginning, mix some of the brewers yeast with the baby food beggies and calcium nxt time you feed him.
Brewers yeast should be in the baking isle at the supermarket yes.

He isnt too skinny but can do with a wee bit of weight on him. Hes not unhealthy looking but can not lose too much more weight. Keep an eye on the tailbase, hip area and fat pads on the head as thats where they will show weight loss 1st....

What exactly does your thermostat do? I dont use one so im clueless with that part

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
thankyou i will head over to tescos for some brewers yeast once im home in a couple hours :)
also what do u mean the fat pads? haha, wen i get home shall i take a pic from sky view so u can see a pic of him as if u were looking down from above? his dad has always been a skinny build so maybe hes got it off him where as spyro is a female and she also hasnt been eating but shes still a lil fatty like her mummy bless her,

the thermostat monitors the heat of the basking bulb, for example if the heat gets too high it will bring it down and vise versa if its too hot, it has a sensor on the end of it,....do u think the uvb bulb is in the right place, where do u have urs? do u think we should fix it to the ceiling so its directly above him or does that not make much difference?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
p4-1.jpg

At what temp is your thermostat set to switch off?

It is best that the UV is mounted by the basking light so maximuum exposure is obtained.....mine is on the ceiling nxt to my basking bulb

2011-09-27132222-1.jpg

I also have reflective material in the ceiling to reflect more UV throughout the viv

2011-09-27132200.jpg

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh and yes pics from different angles will help. Take 1 from above showing tail base and hips, one from top of head, and one from side of head

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
2011-12-17 15.56.44.jpg

Here is the side of his head
2011-12-17 15.56.19.jpg

And here is a above view of his head hips and tailbase, u have a lovely set up, is that tin foil on ur ceiling?
We are going to move the light to the cieling but we have nothing to hang the light lower with wich is y my boyfriemd placed it on the back wall originally,
Also I have just come bak from tesco and they didnt have any brewers yeast, just basic yeast powder which only had vitC :/

I have moved his puce if bark and now his badking spot is reading at 106 :)

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have moved his puce if bark and now his badking spot is reading at 106 :)

Woot, thats awesome :D

He looks fine in those pics, no worries there and the increased temp in his basking spot should increase his appetite.
You can always do the hook and chain trick like i did with my UV, that way it can be raised or lowered to which ever height i need, and yes its a type of tinfoil . . . . it has a self adhesive on the back thst sticks to the ceiling.

I dont know which types of brewers yeast you get where you stay, but here the distributor is Anchor . . .
Try googling brewers yeast and maybe a familiar name will pop up

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok so we have moved zuko away from the others into the front room, his asking spot is reading at 106, wednesday or thursday he is going to the vet for a vitamin b injection, and i will search the net for some brewers yeast....u have helped me loads and im really grateful, i think all we can do now is keep u updated and let u know if anythink changes via the temps, him being on his own, and from when he gets to the vets.....

thankyou P :)

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Always happy to help, will keep Zuko in my thoughts and check in for updates.

Good luck to you guys

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Update:
Hi p,
Took zuko to the vets today, he said theres nothink seriously wrong with him other than hes a bit underweighy as hes not eating,
His eyes and inside of his mouth look healthy so he gave him a multi vitamin injection and just told us to keep an eye on him.
Yesterday I fed him mashed up sweet potatoe thru a syringe and he seemed to enjoy it,
Am leaving him to it for today as hes sulking lol, but tomorrow am gunna try him with raspberry and blue berries mashed up and keep offering him live food,
Will keep u updated :)

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey there, glad theres nothing seriously wrong. It should take a while for the vits and stuff kick in, but glad he liked the sweet potatoe.
Most (Actually id say 98%) of beardies go bonkers for butternut squash, maybe you should try it. If you heat it up slightly the aroma is adhanced and attracts them to it more.
Oh and as a treat KIWI fruit, depitted and peeled. Mine will take your hand off to get to KIWI hehehehe

Also i would do daily baths to make sure hydration is up to par, cos dehydrated dragons dont really have an appetite. So if hydration is good, appetite should be as well :rolleyes:

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi p thanks for ur replie..
I actually bought some butternut squash today :) great minds think alike haha
Will boil some in a bit and try him, I cut a blueberrie in half just and put it to his mouth n he was liking away n next think u know all thats left is the skin lol,
I was asleep this morning and my boyfriend ran into me 'wake up wake up zukos basking' so I darted out of bed haha and he was actually badking wich is a start, still not takin live food but im giving him time, although he did show intrest in a locust , getting there slowly, I didnt knoww they could have kiwi, will pop to tescos and grab some, still doesnt want his greens but as I said givibg him time and like u said it takes time for the vits to kick in, im thinkin positive and have faith in him :)

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Also have been givin him a bath everyday also massaging his tummy incase of a lil impaction, as he hasnt gone to the toilet for about a week :/