• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! I cant get my beardie to eat any veggies

chesterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! I am a new beardie owner and have been doing countless research on how to get your beardie to eat veggies… mine simply won’t. They told me since he is only a baby still he doesn’t need veggies yet, but countless websites say other wise. He will eat insects like there is no tomorrow but REFUSES to eat veggies and I don’t want him not getting the proper nutrition he needs since he is growing so much. Please let me know any tips or tricks! Thanks!!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum, some bearded dragons just wont eat veggies, they NEED veggies at around 9 months, (my beardie is a year and 8 months and will eat ONE LEAF)
Tips and tricks:
BSFL in the salad, (bugs in salad)

start with fruit and wean him off (banana n mango are two fan favorites) only give as treats obviously.

mist the salad with a low sugar apple juice.

bee pollen.

if none of these work and no one has any better ideas…..
its quite common they wont eat veggies,
As long as your bugs are heavily gutloaded its not a problem,…

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi guys! I am a new beardie owner and have been doing countless research on how to get your beardie to eat veggies… mine simply won’t. They told me since he is only a baby still he doesn’t need veggies yet, but countless websites say other wise. He will eat insects like there is no tomorrow but REFUSES to eat veggies and I don’t want him not getting the proper nutrition he needs since he is growing so much. Please let me know any tips or tricks! Thanks!!
My guy was the same way. And the only fruit he would eat was kiwi. lol

If Skybug's recommendations don't work . . .

I ended up giving him baby food veges watered down a bit in a syringe. He would gobble it right up then. I got the natural no additive baby food in the smallest jars as it doesn't last long and babies tend to not eat much. I gave him mostly the dark greens (peas, beans, spinach). Occasionally I'd give him carrots and squash.

Like Skybug said, it's not imperative they eat veges as long as your protein is gut loaded with them.

Hope this helps.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Use BSFL to the tops of salads --- add them to the bowl in front of him so it gets his attention -- DO NOT dust them - they are a great staple feeder for babies feed as many as you want order large www.symtonbsf.com ---- you can also add some small / medium super worms to the salad but only 1-3 --- you will need a bowl like this to keep them from escaping https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
nutrition website ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
make sure your feeding salads first thing in the morning --- let him eat from that bowl for like a hr or so then feed your main staple feeder -- you want him eating salads even if only a little bit --- he wont eat them when he gets older
Roaches are a great staple feeder --- they work easier w/ the bowl than crickets do --

chesterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum, some bearded dragons just wont eat veggies, they NEED veggies at around 9 months, (my beardie is a year and 8 months and will eat ONE LEAF)
Tips and tricks:
BSFL in the salad, (bugs in salad)

start with fruit and wean him off (banana n mango are two fan favorites) only give as treats obviously.

mist the salad with a low sugar apple juice.

bee pollen.

if none of these work and no one has any better ideas…..
its quite common they wont eat veggies,
As long as your bugs are heavily gutloaded its not a problem,…
I have been trying the bee pollen and he just won’t do it.. my stubborn little guy. Thanks for the other tips though! hopefully they work! I saw the baby good idea and do you think I could make my own little “slurry” of baby food or they would prefer it store bought?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Have you tried offering small amounts via hand or longer rubber tipped tweezers? If I shake a small piece or dandelion leaf or greens, he will take it, I offered a small piece of red bell pepper yesterday (only feed occasionally) and he was very quick to take it (think it was the bright colour) Offer before bugs and wiggle it a little, then be patient, only a small mouthful or two at first.