• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Getting Basking Spot Correct?

Matty956

Bearded Dragon Egg
Right guys so you have probably seen and heard this question getting asked a million times but I'm having some real problems getting my basking spot to the correct temperature, so ill tell you a little about my setup, I'm using a 3ft viv and my basking setup is a 75w exo terra basking bulb, controlling this is a Habistat thermostat. now I have read tons of posts online about getting the temperatures correct and nothing seems to be able to do it, I have placed the thermostat probe in the cool and set it to 26 degrees. after I let the viv warm up for a few hours I checked the basking spot with a infrared heat gun and its showing between 46-50 degrees in some places. now heres where it gets tricky if I dial the thermostat back at all it pretty much dims to bulb to the point where it isn't giving off any light or heat? if you guys could offer any help that would be great.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
You need the thermostat probe at the basking spot and set the temp there. How old is your beardie? Babies need around 107* at the basking spot, adults need around 95*. Once the basking spot is correct, then check your other temps and go from there.

Matty956

Bearded Dragon Egg
thanks for the reply Janelle hes around 3 months old and tiny for his age. I don't seem to be able to place the thermostat probe at the basking spot because it only goes up to 95* as soon as the probe is placed near the spot the light pretty much shuts off because of how much it is dimming.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
And sorry, I forgot you’re in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. Do you feel you need to use a thermostat? I have thermostats for my python, but I don’t use one for my beardie.