• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! BABY BEARDIE ESCAPED!

Chesse18

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feel like a terrible parent. I feel like a piece of crap. Like I'm worthless, I just lost the one thing that gave every day light... my baby beardie, Badass, escaped... I've always been able to let him sit next to me on my lap, on my bed, etc. and he'd just chill there, he was always comfortable. I took him outside today so he could get some natural UV, turns out it was a big mistake... big failure... I was keeping him in a box for a bit, but he was scared in there. So, I picked him up, and held him for a bit. Of course, he was comfortable, and just looked around as he sat in my hand. Then I made the *failure* of setting him on my lap... and he ran. I live in Illinois along the Mississippi River, it's in the 70s wise during the day currently but it gets in the low 50s at night... he went under my camper trailer, and I didn't see if he came out and if he did, where he went. My yard is mostly just grass, and is really open, I didn't see him run. But he was super fast so he could have ran across the yard before I saw him. (If he did it's all hope lost because I'm surrounded by corn and bean fields...) my camper trailer sits on top of gravel/rocks along the side of the house and there is a small row of bushes next to it. The only possible place for him to hide is the bushes or the tires, but if he got on the tires he could have gone anywhere by now, including inside the camper. Please, please help... what can I do to find him or lure him... I just want to bring him back inside to safety. Otherwise I'm never going to forgive myself...

Chesse18

Bearded Dragon Egg
UPDATE: I put his tank lights out and turned them on, hoping they'd make him come back and feel at home... Not sure what else to do I just feel so lost

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
UPDATE: I put his tank lights out and turned them on, hoping they'd make him come back and feel at home... Not sure what else to do I just feel so lost

Im really sorry for you, I can only imagine how stressed you must feel, Im not sure what els you could do to help find him, putting his lights out was a good idea, he probably is just hiding somewhere close and may come out today to bask, I would just keep an eye out for him to be out in the sun somewhere close, if you do see him be very carful as you approach him he will probably be very skid-dish. I hope your able to get you buddy back!

On a side note, for anyone who wants to take there dragon outside PLEASE get a leash, there are a lot of great bearded dragon leashes out there to keep things like this from happening.

Chesse18

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im really sorry for you, I can only imagine how stressed you must feel, Im not sure what els you could do to help find him, putting his lights out was a good idea, he probably is just hiding somewhere close and may come out today to bask, I would just keep an eye out for him to be out in the sun somewhere close, if you do see him be very carful as you approach him he will probably be very skid-dish. I hope your able to get you buddy back!

On a side note, for anyone who wants to take there dragon outside PLEASE get a leash, there are a lot of great bearded dragon leashes out there to keep things like this from happening.

It's been 13 hours an no luck... I'm really upset and I screwed up badly... it would be easier on me if I knew it wasn't so cold outside at night...

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dont give up hope, if he is still anywhere near your home you should see him basking somewhere nearby, keep look anywhere thats slightly elevated and has direct sunlight on it theres still a chance you could see him.

Chesse18

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has gone to sleep somewhere since the temp dropped --- you can try putting food out to lure him but w/ him being so young it is hard to say if that will work --- since they eat bugs ---- I dont know how to help you on this one - I have read others losing older dragons outside but never babies -- I wont take my baby out simply because of that -- I am guessing a predator like a bird may have gotten him since hes so little and very young -- you can try putting bugs in the tank and see if that will get his attention --- but you would haft to watch to see if he returned -- I am sorry--- -- check your sunny spots during the day you may find him basking there

Dont give up hope, if he is still anywhere near your home you should see him basking somewhere nearby, keep look anywhere thats slightly elevated and has direct sunlight on it theres still a chance you could see him.

I FOUND HIM!!! I came home from work and he was sunning himself on my concrete driveway! He must have been scared to death too because he crawled right up onto me and let me carry him inside! As celebration I'm giving him a much larger home and many more decorations! THANK YOU EVERONE! This has literally cured my depression I'm so happy

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thats great news, Im glad everything turned out ok!! I also recommend a zenhabitat, I have one for my guy its a perfect size, easy to assemble, and not very heavy so its easy to move if needed.

Chesse18

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank goodness you got him ---- little stinker I bet hes hungry--- no more out till he gets bigger and you can get a leash on him ---- you can find them at www.pamperedbeardies.com or on www.etsy.com---the new home sounds great -- you can look for those on FB marketplace or craigslist for used or you can also get new-- zenhabitats makes a real nice tank --- 120 gallon for $329 free shipping ----

I have a few extra ones and the one I got him allows him to climb up the back wall, and he's got more places to climb on, hide under and explore now. ^_^

Suzanne0925

Bearded Dragon Egg
My friend. I feel your pain. I live in CT and was out in the garden three weeks ago with Vito, a two year old beardie. Five minutes and he was gone. Gone. 11:30 am Sunday. I searched for four full days in daylight. It’s been warm here, but we still have not found him and no signs. My 10 year old son cries every night, I’m devastated. I suck. I hand fed him, loved him. It killed me to see him suffer in a tank and miss nature. I got cocky and started letting him out without his leash on because he would get tangled in my garden, so I stayed to let him off leash, he would never go more than 10-15 feet and we have a 100 foot retaining wall that is 6 feet down to 2 feet. We border the woods, so I’m sure I looked left and he was going right. He’s not small so where the F... did he go.

Every range of emotions. I can’t explain. I’m so sorry, but if you need conpany your grief and perceived naïveté and stupidity, I’m the Captain of our team. Because it’s not just me but my two kids. Ugh.

Good luck. Many people find them after a few days but...

I feel like a terrible parent. I feel like a piece of crap. Like I'm worthless, I just lost the one thing that gave every day light... my baby beardie, Badass, escaped... I've always been able to let him sit next to me on my lap, on my bed, etc. and he'd just chill there, he was always comfortable. I took him outside today so he could get some natural UV, turns out it was a big mistake... big failure... I was keeping him in a box for a bit, but he was scared in there. So, I picked him up, and held him for a bit. Of course, he was comfortable, and just looked around as he sat in my hand. Then I made the *failure* of setting him on my lap... and he ran. I live in Illinois along the Mississippi River, it's in the 70s wise during the day currently but it gets in the low 50s at night... he went under my camper trailer, and I didn't see if he came out and if he did, where he went. My yard is mostly just grass, and is really open, I didn't see him run. But he was super fast so he could have ran across the yard before I saw him. (If he did it's all hope lost because I'm surrounded by corn and bean fields...) my camper trailer sits on top of gravel/rocks along the side of the house and there is a small row of bushes next to it. The only possible place for him to hide is the bushes or the tires, but if he got on the tires he could have gone anywhere by now, including inside the camper. Please, please help... what can I do to find him or lure him... I just want to bring him back inside to safety. Otherwise I'm never going to forgive myself...

Chesse18

Bearded Dragon Egg
My friend. I feel your pain. I live in CT and was out in the garden three weeks ago with Vito, a two year old beardie. Five minutes and he was gone. Gone. 11:30 am Sunday. I searched for four full days in daylight. It’s been warm here, but we still have not found him and no signs. My 10 year old son cries every night, I’m devastated. I suck. I hand fed him, loved him. It killed me to see him suffer in a tank and miss nature. I got cocky and started letting him out without his leash on because he would get tangled in my garden, so I stayed to let him off leash, he would never go more than 10-15 feet and we have a 100 foot retaining wall that is 6 feet down to 2 feet. We border the woods, so I’m sure I looked left and he was going right. He’s not small so where the F... did he go.

Every range of emotions. I can’t explain. I’m so sorry, but if you need conpany your grief and perceived naïveté and stupidity, I’m the Captain of our team. Because it’s not just me but my two kids. Ugh.

Good luck. Many people find them after a few days but...
I found him already a few days ago