• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat bulbs anyone?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have recently begun browsing Amazon for BD supplies. I'm wondering the best way to make a basking spot? Thanks sm
You need a bright white basking bulb NO colored or off white yellowish bulb - it will be trial and error w/ bulbs - how big is the tank? If its a 40 gallon start w/ a 100 watt - also make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp NO stick ons they are inaccurate- the probe is a MUST -- you can also invest in a IR heat gun they are handy to have on hand -- you can get them from your local home improvement store for like $20-- take your probe place on it where he sits to bask wait 10 minutes or so then get the temp --- you want basking temps of 105-100 for a baby and juvie / adult 95-110-- its good to offer a heat gradient for them so they pick a temp / spot of where they like to bask

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You need a bright white basking bulb NO colored or off white yellowish bulb - it will be trial and error w/ bulbs - how big is the tank? If its a 40 gallon start w/ a 100 watt - also make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp NO stick ons they are inaccurate- the probe is a MUST -- you can also invest in a IR heat gun they are handy to have on hand -- you can get them from your local home improvement store for like $20-- take your probe place on it where he sits to bask wait 10 minutes or so then get the temp --- you want basking temps of 105-100 for a baby and juvie / adult 95-110-- its good to offer a heat gradient for them so they pick a temp / spot of where they like to bask
And you Need UVB with the Heat. REPTISUN 10.0 T5 to cover 70 percent of the tank it goes in the back and the heatlamp; buy a 100Watt ZOOMED Basking bulb if you have a 40gallon to 65 gallon tank; that's the best one and place a basking paltform under it and a hammock behind it. Beardie should be 8-12 inches from the heat Yes get the Zoomed Digital thermometer and place the probe on the basking platform let it sit for 15min or soo; a baby should have 105-110; Forever45 made a mistake its 105-110 for a baby I would do 107 or 105 then over 6months old 100-102. Also, buy REPCAL calcium powder to with cholrafial in it. Dust 5times a week and feed only crickets and dubia roaches only alongside greens/veggies google STAPLE greens/veggies on Bearded dragon 101; great info. NO Spinach or lettuce. Meal worms STAY AWAY from; they destroy their tummy and impacts them. The only best worms to feed are super worms or hornworms and thats after 1.5 yrs of age because its destructive to their digestive system and to harsh becasue they are young. So you can add that as treats after 1.5 but they are high in fat. Also, NO Sand substrate, go on ZENHABITATS and call them they have an aamzing matt for as flooring substarte, very safe, gr8 on their feet and only $35. In the meantime use papertowels or white terry cloths or smooth shelf liner from target and clean the poop instantly to avoid bacteria/infections.

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
And you Need UVB with the Heat. REPTISUN 10.0 T5 to cover 70 percent of the tank it goes in the back and the heatlamp; buy a 100Watt ZOOMED Basking bulb if you have a 40gallon to 65 gallon tank; that's the best one and place a basking paltform under it and a hammock behind it. Beardie should be 8-12 inches from the heat Yes get the Zoomed Digital thermometer and place the probe on the basking platform let it sit for 15min or soo; a baby should have 105-110; Forever45 made a mistake its 105-110 for a baby I would do 107 or 105 then over 6months old 100-102. Also, buy REPCAL calcium powder to with cholrafial in it. Dust 5times a week and feed only crickets and dubia roaches only alongside greens/veggies google STAPLE greens/veggies on Bearded dragon 101; great info. NO Spinach or lettuce. Meal worms STAY AWAY from; they destroy their tummy and impacts them. The only best worms to feed are super worms or hornworms and thats after 1.5 yrs of age because its destructive to their digestive system and to harsh becasue they are young. So you can add that as treats after 1.5 but they are high in fat. Also, NO Sand substrate, go on ZENHABITATS and call them they have an aamzing matt for as flooring substarte, very safe, gr8 on their feet and only $35. In the meantime use papertowels or white terry cloths or smooth shelf liner from target and clean the poop instantly to avoid bacteria/infections.
Hi Julee1971,
I know from videos all around that mealworms are a debated topic. While some people believe that mealworms cause impaction, I believe otherwise. I have a very large family with lots of relatives. A few own BD's and they all feed mealworms. Although I respect your opinion, I still plan on feeding mealworms. However, I thank you for the rest of your information because I have been struggling to find and decide on these things.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Julee1971,
I know from videos all around that mealworms are a debated topic. While some people believe that mealworms cause impaction, I believe otherwise. I have a very large family with lots of relatives. A few own BD's and they all feed mealworms. Although I respect your opinion, I still plan on feeding mealworms. However, I thank you for the rest of your information because I have been struggling to find and decide on these things.
You are very welcome and we rescue and rehome. Please DONOT feed mealworms it’s a cheap destructive way to feed your Beardie. Those who don’t want to invest the money to raise a healthy dragon the right way should not have one. Buy Dubia roaches; they are much better for him and u can order them online; please Dubias and crickets only. Worse case some super worms after 1.5 yrs of age to add to his diet and of course the staple greens and veggies u gotta do that religiously

Sjackson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I dont user the reptile basking bulbs anymore as they tend to burn out or blow up very quickly. Use a 90 wat halogen bulb on a dimmer and you can dial in temps exactly

George and me

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a very happy and healthy bearded dragon that I frequently feed mealworms he absolutely loves them. I am aware that they are high in fat and lower in protein so he eats roaches as well but don't discredit mealworms I had done months of research about beardies and own one of my own

George and me

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Julee1971,
I 100% agree

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You are very welcome and we rescue and rehome. Please DONOT feed mealworms it’s a cheap destructive way to feed your Beardie. Those who don’t want to invest the money to raise a healthy dragon the right way should not have one. Buy Dubia roaches; they are much better for him and u can order them online; please Dubias and crickets only. Worse case some super worms after 1.5 yrs of age to add to his diet and of course the staple greens and veggies u gotta do that religiously
U are very welcome for the good info. Mealworms are very bad it’s a cheap feeder and plumps up and bakes a Beardie disgustingly wide and fat; not healthy & just not a good staple protein. Of the Beardie is over a year old do super worms 10/day 5per feeding or less plus Dubia roaches and crickets those are e nest once in a while a hornworm 1-2 per week as treats. They are high in fat so are super worms so mix it with crickets and Dubia roaches and def the staple everyday greens amd. Veggies