• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

He arrived this morning

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
As long as the rock cant shift or wiggle, its not an issue him cramming underneath it, hes in a new environment, scared, unshure, hes just trying to feel secure kinda how cats like tight fitting boxes

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Ive noticed that beardies that have hides across the enclosure (away from heat) usually take longer to wake up in the morning. In my girls old enclosure she bearly slept in the hide, usually went to sleep under the light, you wanns encourage natural behaviors.
I need to get his cave finished then I can move the habba hut over the back left. I’ll see what I have in the garden temporarily to maybe lean up against that rock.
As long as the rock cant shift or wiggle, its not an issue him cramming underneath it, hes in a new environment, scared, unshure, hes just trying to feel secure kinda how cats like tight fitting boxes
It doesn’t move at all, I’m glad it’s not a problem.
Thank you both :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I know hes only been with you for only 24 hrs, but has he been giving a bath yet? I didn’t think to mention it yesterday, he should have one to get any nasty germs from the breeders off him. Fill up a tub of luke warm water (use ur wrist or elbow to check the temp, u want it just barely warm) fill it up about 3/4 of an inch, just so it’s covering his tail but not riding up his back , you can use a toothbrush and just brush his back and butt for now, hes NOT gonna like this, and it may set you back on the handling, just a heads up.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I know hes only been with you for only 24 hrs, but has he been giving a bath yet? I didn’t think to mention it yesterday, he should have one to get any nasty germs from the breeders off him. Fill up a tub of luke warm water (use ur wrist or elbow to check the temp, u want it just barely warm) fill it up about 3/4 of an inch, just so it’s covering his tail but not riding up his back , you can use a toothbrush and just brush his back and butt for now, hes NOT gonna like this, and it may set you back on the handling, just a heads up.
Ok I’ll do that, should I do it inside his viv or lift him out into a large tub and put the bath in a dish in there?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I’ll do that, should I do it inside his viv or lift him out into a large tub and put the bath in a dish in there?
Thats a very good question, idk honestly, hes gonna feel more secure in his enclosure, but also might want to flee more since hes in there, idk his temperament, so ill let u make that call, if he allows you to put ur arm in the enclosure and get near him without running thats a good sign, usually they’re handled quite a bit by the breeders (for pictures, deformaties, etc.) so i dont think its rushing it by taking him out and doing it that way either.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hes probably gonna be stressed no matter what you do. Just give him a couple passes with the toothbrush and plop him under his heat lamp. Offer a bug so he knows u still love him lol.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Thats a very good question, idk honestly, hes gonna feel more secure in his enclosure, but also might want to flee more since hes in there, idk his temperament, so ill let u make that call, if he allows you to put ur arm in the enclosure and get near him without running thats a good sign, usually they’re handled quite a bit by the breeders (for pictures, deformaties, etc.) so i dont think its rushing it by taking him out and doing it that way either.
Yeah the more I’ve thought about it I’m sure he would prefer to stay in there.

he let me put my hand in and touch him without running, I picked him up this morning and just let him sit on my hands in front of his spot and then after a minute he scrambled onto the wood. He’s just a bit wary and sometimes doesn’t want me near! I have two little kids that are quite noisy so until he gets used to that I expect him to be a bit scared.
Hes probably gonna be stressed no matter what you do. Just give him a couple passes with the toothbrush and plop him under his heat lamp. Offer a bug so he knows u still love him lol.
I won’t overdo it I’ll just put him in, give him a rub and hopefully he’ll forgive me quickly.
I love the way he looks at me, I can see he’s trying to work me out.

I also found a large flat rock so will create a cave in the hot end for him.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
So I just found him on the lamp guard, I did a little Googling and there was a discussion on another forum where ppl are saying they don’t use lamp guards with beardies as they pose more of a risk, if there was no guard I doubt he would have jumped up there, and even if he had he wouldn’t have been able to grip the bulb, he clearly couldn’t get down, should I remove them?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That’s really good he’s allowing you to touch him! Im actually suprised, most babies run for cover the second the door gets opened, they get used to noise pretty easily, its the quick movements that scare them, be shure to teach ur little ones proper etiquette (talk calmly, move slow)(tell them once hes acclimated then they can play with him :) , and yea i seen ur guards but didn’t want to say anything, i personally wouldn’t use them for a baby, but as he grows they can be reintroduced, they’re usually for other reptiles like monitors and basilisks (lizards that have a high climbing drive and snakes) babies will climb anything anytime anywhere.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
That’s really good he’s allowing you to touch him! Im actually suprised, most babies run for cover the second the door gets opened, they get used to noise pretty easily, its the quick movements that scare them, be shure to teach ur little ones proper etiquette (talk calmly, move slow)(tell them once hes acclimated then they can play with him :) , and yea i seen ur guards but didn’t want to say anything, i personally wouldn’t use them for a baby, but as he grows they can be reintroduced, they’re usually for other reptiles like monitors and basilisks (lizards that have a high climbing drive and snakes) babies will climb anything anytime anywhere.
I’m still a bit nervous touching him, it’s mainly because I don’t know what to expect and can’t yet read him. Both of the kids are so interested in him and they have been being really good, it’s just not easy with them around making noise lol, I’ve been trying to bath him for the last hour but everytime I go to the kids appear and want to get as close as they can, proving to be harder than I thought. I might keep lights on until after their bedtime and put them on a bit later in the morning so that I get a bit of quiet time to bond with him in the evenings, hopefully he’ll be sleepy so more inclined not to put up a fuss as well and I could also try placing him in the habba hut before I do turn the lights off.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
no need to be nervous, you got this! Its perfectly okay they want to be involved, just explain to them (like when going to a new school or place to meet people, they’re nervous, so the little lizard will be too) When handling a baby its best to always come from infront and below them (have ur thumb be on his shoulders/back and ur pointer finger on his chest/under side) if he starts to squirm use ur remaining three fingers to pin him to ur palm, (i love that bearded dragons cant drop their tails, dont be afraid to grab it) anything above a 3 foot drop is almost a death sentence, when u finally let the children handle him outside the enclosure have them sitting on the floor (absolutely NO shoulder riding, its just not smart, ya ik all the cool YouTubers do it, but it only takes one accident) whats your time scale? 7to7? I just recently changed my girls to 6to5 shes getting older and lazier so i wanted to give her an extra hour in the morning.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
no need to be nervous, you got this! Its perfectly okay they want to be involved, just explain to them (like when going to a new school or place to meet people, they’re nervous, so the little lizard will be too) When handling a baby its best to always come from infront and below them (have ur thumb be on his shoulders/back and ur pointer finger on his chest/under side) if he starts to squirm use ur remaining three fingers to pin him to ur palm, (i love that bearded dragons cant drop their tails, dont be afraid to grab it) anything above a 3 foot drop is almost a death sentence, when u finally let the children handle him outside the enclosure have them sitting on the floor (absolutely NO shoulder riding, its just not smart, ya ik all the cool YouTubers do it, but it only takes one accident) whats your time scale? 7to7? I just recently changed my girls to 6to5 shes getting older and lazier so i wanted to give her an extra hour in the morning.
Thank you, that really does make me feel better he just look so tiny and delicate and having never handled one it’s all very alien to me lol.
Yes 7 to 7. How many beardies or other animals do you have?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, that really does make me feel better he just look so tiny and delicate and having never handled one it’s all very alien to me lol.
Yes 7 to 7. How many beardies or other animals do you have?
They’re pretty sturdy for a lizard, you or the kids can’t really hurt him (one of the main reasons they’re so popular among parents) he’ll let you know when hes not being handled probably, 7to7 is pretty standard , i have only the one beardie, but i have had (you name it, from Axolotl’s to Guinea pigs to birds) we’ve had lots of lizards and amphibious creatures growing up :) my dad and mom were very supportive of pets , we currently have a frenchie, the beardie steffern, the ever so sweet tokay gecko :) and i just got a baby crested gecko about a month ago (dont have any pictures yet as im not close to regular handling yet, hes still kinda jumpy)

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
They’re pretty sturdy for a lizard, you or the kids can’t really hurt him (one of the main reasons they’re so popular among parents) he’ll let you know when hes not being handled probably, 7to7 is pretty standard , i have only the one beardie, but i have had (you name it, from Axolotl’s to Guinea pigs to birds) we’ve had lots of lizards and amphibious creatures growing up :) my dad and mom were very supportive of pets , we currently have a frenchie, the beardie steffern, the ever so sweet tokay gecko :) and i just got a baby crested gecko about a month ago (dont have any pictures yet as im not close to regular handling yet, hes still kinda jumpy)
That’s also good to know. I love axolotls, never had one but they are very cute. I’ve had a few pets myself ferrets, snakes, rats, Betta fish and the usual dogs, cats, rabbits, all where when I left home, my mum was not very keen! That’s great your mum and dad were so supportive, I think it’s great to introduce pets to your children, they have responsibility and something to learn about.
Can’t wait to see pics of the crested gecko! Could you send a pic of the tokay gecko when u get the chance?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
So here’s the extra rock, I was gona rest it up against the other one however laying flat it creates a low wide cave.

C7159B91-6C2D-40CA-8B96-0CADDF290DBE.jpeg

Well he messed up all my plans lol and decided to sleep under the hammock hugging the wood. He’s been a lot more settled today and I removed the sheet for the afternoon and he basked with everything else going on! I didn’t bath him but I did mist him, he seemed to really enjoy it! Tomorrow I will get some space from the kids anyway which will give me the opportunity to bath him for the first time with some peace!!

And a pic before bed of the gorgeous little guy....
A1A59796-25A8-48B3-86D5-B82018CEFFBD.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Your guy such a nice color, and his skin is looking hydrated today, of course he slept somewhere else lol , we messed with his spot and he’s more comfortable with you :)
Those rocks are a nice addition, rugged but not to abrasive. Ideally You want your bearded dragon to have as many different textures as possible in its enclosure, and you have a really nice enclosure, you can try “putting him to bed” before lights out put him where ever you so desire.

this is the tokay, hes about 8-9 months old, i got him as a baby aswell, ive handled almost every day to every other day since i got him.

D19B9838-F54C-4510-83B6-CEEB32D5896E.jpeg

Attachments

• 7DD67461-C8D9-426B-892B-114D28240169.jpeg
    7DD67461-C8D9-426B-892B-114D28240169.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Your guy such a nice color, and his skin is looking hydrated today, of course he slept somewhere else lol , we messed with his spot and he’s more comfortable with you :)
Those rocks are a nice addition, rugged but not to abrasive. Ideally You want your bearded dragon to have as many different textures as possible in its enclosure, and you have a really nice enclosure, you can try “putting him to bed” before lights out put him where ever you so desire.

this is the tokay, hes about 8-9 months old, i got him as a baby aswell, ive handled almost every day to every other day since i got him.

View attachment 27863
Wow how unusual and those eyes, he’s a very pretty lizard, are they generally friendly or does it take a lot to tame them? He looks quite big too, what size are they, similar to beardie or smaller?

I thought he looked more plump (hydrated) , he’s been eating really well and I’ve managed to get a mouthful of greens in both days so long may it continue, he does seem so much more settled this morning, peeked his head out when I turned lights on....
1DE3AEF1-40E4-4B24-BDA7-91A2F48A3B9C.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
They are very very defensive, At night the slits in his eyes fully open up and it looks like he has two big marble eyes, they get pretty big, I believe they’re the second largest gecko species, probably a little smaller than a beardie, he personally has been super easy to tame down , it took a long time but every day he allowed me to be near him longer eventually i started picking him up (he did lots of squeeking and “mock bites” as a baby) but for the past 3-5 months hes been super sweet and even licks me when i put my hand near, the scary part is to tame a tokay they like heir mouths rubbed, apparently in the wild a pair of them almost kiss as a form of bonding.

Awe ur guy is a cutie pie, hes gonna have a good personality i can already tell, he’s looking over like “hey got any of them crunchy things?” Try your best to keep up the salads, always offer those first before a bug, its so hard to get them to eat veg as they get older :/ my girl eats only a leaf of something then turns her head after.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
They are very very defensive, At night the slits in his eyes fully open up and it looks like he has two big marble eyes, they get pretty big, I believe they’re the second largest gecko species, probably a little smaller than a beardie, he personally has been super easy to tame down , it took a long time but every day he allowed me to be near him longer eventually i started picking him up (he did lots of squeeking and “mock bites” as a baby) but for the past 3-5 months hes been super sweet and even licks me when i put my hand near, the scary part is to tame a tokay they like heir mouths rubbed, apparently in the wild a pair of them almost kiss as a form of bonding.

Awe ur guy is a cutie pie, hes gonna have a good personality i can already tell, he’s looking over like “hey got any of them crunchy things?” Try your best to keep up the salads, always offer those first before a bug, its so hard to get them to eat veg as they get older :/ my girl eats only a leaf of something then turns her head after.
Defensive.... bitey?? How cool, I’m gona have a little look on YouTube at them! He really is a pretty lizard, it’s really cool that’s he accepts you now. Rub his mouth.... surely your asking for it lol.