• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hangs out under hammock all day?!

GrumpyNigie

Bearded Dragon Egg
My Nigel, from morning until night is content staying under his hammock. He’s been doing this for about a month. I have a reptisun 10.0 he is lying under. And 2 halogen bulbs to keep the tank nice and warm. Usually is 100-110 degrees. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. He doesn’t care for his veggies much anymore (collard greens and kale). But he will eat his super worms. He is almost 5 years old. Am I using the wrong bulbs, or is he just a lazy old lizard? Lol

Attachments

• 3C4C6C80-1634-4E0E-B272-1EC1639C83FF.jpeg
    3C4C6C80-1634-4E0E-B272-1EC1639C83FF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 128

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He should have a cool side of the tank that he can escape to. If it is 100 - 110 degrees across the whole tank, that's bad. They should always have a cool side that's around 70 - 78 degrees. It also looks like you have him in too small a cage, though I don't know the cage size. Also, I hope you're not using laminate flooring, as the heat from the bulb can create toxic fumes from the laminate flooring, and could be killing him. A great flooring is tile, no toxic fumes, and easy clean up.

GrumpyNigie

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is in a 40 Gallon tank. I hear this tank size is just fine for him. Obviously the side he’s laying on is the warm side. But it doesn’t get warm on the floor where he’s laying. He is cool to the touch. The flooring is a spongie material. It has the appearance of tile. I’m not familiar with the terms of flooring. It’s so flexible you can roll it up.

GrumpyNigie

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is in a 40 Gallon tank. I hear this tank size is just fine for him. Obviously the side he’s laying on is the warm side. But it doesn’t get warm on the floor where he’s laying. He is cool to the touch. The flooring is a spongie material. It has the appearance of tile. I’m not familiar with the terms of flooring. It’s so flexible you can roll it up.

Attachments

• CDA0D990-B4A0-4642-8C29-E789F5033F8D.jpeg
    CDA0D990-B4A0-4642-8C29-E789F5033F8D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 110
  • 47A6C3EB-0302-4CC7-8F67-513A389D6D70.jpeg
    47A6C3EB-0302-4CC7-8F67-513A389D6D70.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 76

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He should have a cool side of the tank that he can escape to. If it is 100 - 110 degrees across the whole tank, that's bad. They should always have a cool side that's around 70 - 78 degrees. It also looks like you have him in too small a cage, though I don't know the cage size. Also, I hope you're not using laminate flooring, as the heat from the bulb can create toxic fumes from the laminate flooring, and could be killing him. A great flooring is tile, no toxic fumes, and easy clean up.
No expert, but agree with BDD. Looks like he doesn't have a cool side he can go to so he can regulate his body temp. Could be why he's hiding under his hammock . . . he's trying to cool down. Also, agree that his tank is too small. I believe adult beardies should be in at least in a 75 gallon tank. Preferably bigger, I think. I'm looking at tank designs now to see if my hubby can build me one for Dexter when he's older. Looks like it might be cheaper to build than buy. Defer to BDD on flooring not being a good choice. I don't know anything about using laminate flooring in a tank. Hope you get your guy back up to snuff.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If it is easy to roll up, that means it's laminate. I would get that out of there immediately. I'd get to your local home improvement store, such as Home Depot, and get some tile flooring. Also the tank is a bit too small, I have mine in a 55 gallon terrarium, but she is a very small dragon. I'm assuming something happened with genetics or something, anyway, with a lizard the size of yours, I would get a new tank. The other reason you might get a bigger tank is because then he would have a cool side to reside too.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If it is easy to roll up, that means it's laminate. I would get that out of there immediately. I'd get to your local home improvement store, such as Home Depot, and get some tile flooring. Also the tank is a bit too small, I have mine in a 55 gallon terrarium, but she is a very small dragon. I'm assuming something happened with genetics or something, anyway, with a lizard the size of yours, I would get a new tank. The other reason you might get a bigger tank is because then he would have a cool side to reside too.
Bad thing is, laminate flooring gives off toxic fumes when it is exposed to even a little heat. That could be what is hurting your dragon. That's why I couldn't fathom why anyone would put it in their house. the toxic fumes are deadly, and could be killing him.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bad thing is, laminate flooring gives off toxic fumes when it is exposed to even a little heat. That could be what is hurting your dragon. That's why I couldn't fathom why anyone would put it in their house. the toxic fumes are deadly, and could be killing him.
I learned something new today. Was unaware about the fumes from heat and laminate flooring. Right now I'm using excavator clay. That will probably change (thinking tile) when I switch to a bigger tank so thanks for the tip.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I learned something new today. Was unaware about the fumes from heat and laminate flooring. Right now I'm using excavator clay. That will probably change (thinking tile) when I switch to a bigger tank so thanks for the tip.
Excavator clay is good, but I recommend the tile. No toxic fumes and very easy to clean up.

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Wellllll he should have a 75 gallon. Since he’s an adult.

tortadon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, I've been hearing a lot about the tile. I'm probably going to switch to it when I get my bigger tank. :)
The tile is ceramic that you want. You can get it to be A host of shades and designs. It is nice to lift out and clean. Place the food on the same tiles and a lot of the other tiles will remain clean. Your lizard will be cleaner also which makes for more fun when you let out to run around with you.
Most lizards move very little. I was told and it makes sense that no matter where they were born the genetic code remains. Which means they naturally freak when A shadow crosses over them and they move very little so as not to attract attention. It is A food chain thing. Big eats little and birds eat lizards hence the fear of shadows.
If you drive down the road and he is basking on the dash sometimes the overhead lines gives them A start but mine all got use to the lines.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The tile is ceramic that you want. You can get it to be A host of shades and designs. It is nice to lift out and clean. Place the food on the same tiles and a lot of the other tiles will remain clean. Your lizard will be cleaner also which makes for more fun when you let out to run around with you.
Most lizards move very little. I was told and it makes sense that no matter where they were born the genetic code remains. Which means they naturally freak when A shadow crosses over them and they move very little so as not to attract attention. It is A food chain thing. Big eats little and birds eat lizards hence the fear of shadows.
If you drive down the road and he is basking on the dash sometimes the overhead lines gives them A start but mine all got use to the lines.
Thanks for the helpful tips! I'm pretty sure I'm switching to tile in my bigger cage so the more info I have the better Dex will be. :) Much appreciated.

DrBwell

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use the green carpet stuff made by ZooMed. It’s super durable and you can cut it to size plus it’s washable with a hose. You may also want to get rid of the infrared heat lamp, not got for the dragons eyes. I have Elliott in a 40 gal tank. For one dragon, that’s large enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use the green carpet stuff made by ZooMed. It’s super durable and you can cut it to size plus it’s washable with a hose. You may also want to get rid of the infrared heat lamp, not got for the dragons eyes. I have Elliott in a 40 gal tank. For one dragon, that’s large enough.
That's actually not big enough. Depending on the size of your dragon. If he/she is full grown, he/she needs a 75 gallon enclosure at minimum. For you it is fine right now, but later you might want to get a bigger cage.

Latest posts