• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hand / tong feeding

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Is it a bad idea to tame a dragon to the point I hand (tong for things that I fear will bite) feed them their food insect by insect?

Beatrix eats silkies out of my fingers with less hesitation each feeding till she starts getting full (then 2 more off my arm since thats where I feed her at) and Steiner ate 6 dusted large super worms out of tongs for breakfast this morning.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Is it a bad idea to tame a dragon to the point I hand (tong for things that I fear will bite) feed them their food insect by insect?

Beatrix eats silkies out of my fingers with less hesitation each feeding till she starts getting full (then 2 more off my arm since thats where I feed her at) and Steiner ate 6 dusted large super worms out of tongs for breakfast this morning.
I feed mine locusts or morio worms locust i just put them in their vivariums and let them hunt them down i feel its more natural for them morio worms i use tongs as its alot easier

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use tongs to remove and place roaches and worms but only occasionally to directly feed. They both know the tongs and will visually follow them until i drop the insect then they have to catch it.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
I use tongs to remove and place roaches and worms but only occasionally to directly feed. They both know the tongs and will visually follow them until i drop the insect then they have to catch it.
I've never used roaches myself id have to use 6ft tongs for them lol try them with a box of locusts see how u get on u get bout 20 locusts to a box depending on the size i believe

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've not hand fed my dragons but I don't see why it would be bad. You may want to let them hunt the insects down at some point though. it's good exercise!