• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hamster Ball???

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Would it be okay to put a dragon in a well ventilated hamster ball to allow them to roam the house? I'm scared I will lose him if I just let him roam freely.
:-\

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I remember somebody else asking this before. The only thing I would worry about is your guys nails. You don't want him to lose toenails in the little hole. But if you think that wouldn't happen, go for it.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm...that would be pretty funny. Lisa brings up a good point - anything that would get your dragon's toes or nails stuck would be bad. I'd worry about the dragon stressing out too. Their bodies are a lot longer than a hamster. And their tails aren't that flexible.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yea that was going to be my next question because they do sell them for guineas and other larger animals. Like right now my dragon is scratching at his glass like he wants to get out-not sure if that's what that means but I do try to let him get out.

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I let Critter out everyday when I get home from work. I feed him first then a bath every other day... but then I let him roam until bed time. I keep an eye on him with help from my 6 yr old but pretty much he plays with the door stop or walls. When he's ready for bed he goes into a small dark corner ( under dressers etc...) but I've noticed within each room he always go to the same spot. The spare room is under the dresser, My room is under the bed, the living room is behind the Ball python stand....I would just see his behavior when he roams and keep him in grabbing distance until you feel comfortable..... Sometimes Critter sleeps on my headboard , he never really wanders really far and he is about 5 or so months now :)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got to be careful just letting them roam. Normally they are fine, but every once in a while one gets away. I was just talking to a beardie friend last night...she has always just let her guy roam around...now she can't find him. He didn't go to his "normal" spot and she has no idea where he is. Been gone all night.

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's so sad, yea my daughter follows him like crazy but once he's asleep lay his blanket on him and he done for the night...you can even move him to his tank when he's out with out waking up its hilarious.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What about a harness made for reptiles? They work great to keep your dragon from running off.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great idea, Corrine.

I just want to add a comment and it may be lost in forum post translation, but here it goes. Be careful about feeding and roaming. Dragons need to digest their food properly under the heat of their lamp and UV. So, I wouldn't take him out for bath or roaming until about an hour after eating. Just some food for thought.

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It's ok to bathe and roam if he bathes outside and sits with me outside for a while right???

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Whenever I let Spyro out to roam other than a closed room, I always had him on a leash. They work great and beardies do get used to them.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
they sell different size harnesses at pet stores. If you can get your dragon to hold still, then yes.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hehehehe, and that my friend is the question of the day! Will they hold still-beardie is still very fast

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
After a few times, I think they get used to the harnesses. My beardies have all worn harnesses since very little. My two older dragons just lay there and allow me to dress them. haha My youngest, who will be two in a couple of months is the squirmy one but she doesn't have an issue. It takes a few times though.

Shay

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was wondering the same thing, what if I like glued most of the slits? Just left like the top with smaller holes. I have cats, and I want her to be able to roam.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I was wondering the same thing, what if I like glued most of the slits? Just left like the top with smaller holes. I have cats, and I want her to be able to roam.

Nails can still get stuck in the holes.

Jeffrey Turnage

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I live in an trailor and I'm not able to let my beardie go. I was thinking of putting him in an hamster cage with tubes during the day when I was home. So he can roam free in the tubes . What's the thoughts on that.

Latest posts