• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravid and trying to lay?

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My roughly 18 month old female has been digging pretty much constantly. When I say "pretty much constantly", I mean, if she's awake, she's digging. Her belly is larger than usual, but if she's gravid, they are definitely infertile eggs. Should I make her a lay bin? Is she trying to find a spot to lay her infertile eggs? She's been at this close to a month. Every day, all day.

Last edited:

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
From what I've read, she will still need a lay box because she has to lay the eggs even if they are infertile.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I started reading about it to prepare myself for when this happens to my girl. I guess if they don't lay the eggs they will get egg bound and that's real serious. Also, if you lift their tail up so you can see their belly, you should be able to see the eggs and when you hold her you can feel them.

Good luck!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If there is no male to fertilize them they would be infertile.

Funny thing, this morning I woke up to find Dexter in the little sand box I made her. It looked like she was trying to dig to China! She has never really gone in it on her own (unless she fell in it) and now today she's been in there twice!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When I lift her tail, I see nothing resembling eggs. Is it possible she's just been in a digging mood? I'll attach a pic in a few.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, give her some time in a lay box. She will do her chores ;)

You wont be able to see the eggs from the vent unless she is literally laying them.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
uzynezug.jpg

So, I made a lay bin. Does this look like what she should be doing?

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Also, is that deep enough, or should I build that side up more? How long does this usually take? This is our first time laying eggs, so I'm full of questions.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Yes that is what she should be doing. They arent to incredibly picky on depth but i do generally try to make it around 8 inches or more deep. She will dig to china if you give enough sand.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Has she done anything yet? Gill is right if you let her she will dig to China. Dexter gets to the bottom of her sandbox and looks at me as if she wants me to add more sand!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
She dug and dug...and. I don't think she found "her spot". She's back in her enclosure now, digging sand up everywhere. I asked the owner of an exotic pet store near me, and he said it could be she wants to breed. Is this normal activity if that's the case as well?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, this is not a sign shes ready to breed.. Some females will dig for a few days straight. You could also try putting more moist sand in bin.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, you can keep her in the bin 24/7. Main thing is keeping her warm. Truly all she needs is the rooms ambient lights with ideally 80* ambient temp.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So, she doesn't need uvb or direct heat during her regular times? I live in the midwest, and it's getting pretty cold here at night (near freezing). Will the room temp, and the plastic bin, be good enough?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, she doesnt require uvb during this time.
To keep her warm.
Best option: You can place a heat emitter over the bin.
Ok option: Place her heat bulb from her enclosure over the bin.

Be sure the sand stays moist enough that she can burrow (make caves).

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks. I have the bin where her enclosure is usually located (with some modifications to keep the cat out). She is digging quite a bit, but it's more like she's digging a whole in one corner, not digging a "cave". The area she's digging is, of course, where the light is, so the substrate has dried some already. At this very moment, she's digging more on the side of the tub than she is in the substrate. I'm sure she'll figure it out eventually though