• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gout in beardies

TraeLynn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Has anyone experienced a beardie with gout issues? Mine won’t eat on his own anymore (unless it’s mealworms, but I’m trying to keep him off of these since this is what I believe caused it to start with) and his back legs are not moving normally. They either drag, or, when he does move them it looks like he is swimming. He does not put them on the ground properly. My first thought when this started was impaction, but he’s had an X-ray and he is not. Gout is the only thing matching up. I put him on a low protein diet 6 days ago and syringe feed him baby food with calcium every day, also give him pedialyte and black cherry extract 1-1 ratio. Tomorrow I’m blending up some collard greens and some juice and will give him that as well. Is there anyone out there who has had the same problem with gout, who has any advice on what else to do, or any tips? Any feedback is appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Has anyone experienced a beardie with gout issues? Mine won’t eat on his own anymore (unless it’s mealworms, but I’m trying to keep him off of these since this is what I believe caused it to start with) and his back legs are not moving normally. They either drag, or, when he does move them it looks like he is swimming. He does not put them on the ground properly. My first thought when this started was impaction, but he’s had an X-ray and he is not. Gout is the only thing matching up. I put him on a low protein diet 6 days ago and syringe feed him baby food with calcium every day, also give him pedialyte and black cherry extract 1-1 ratio. Tomorrow I’m blending up some collard greens and some juice and will give him that as well. Is there anyone out there who has had the same problem with gout, who has any advice on what else to do, or any tips? Any feedback is appreciated.
Gout is swelling of the joints - it is caused by high uric acid a in the blood- the only way to be sure if gout is a blood test - what your describing is either mbd or impaction--- us he pooping- too many meal worms can cause impaction--- what are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank?