• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

good substrate for bearded?

adam5906

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is the best way I have found to do it. I used carpet but toenails got caught. Used paper looked bad and when wet was messy. Never used full sand.

Ntt

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think if you get 20 reptile owners in a room and ask about the best substrate, you will likely get 20 different answers.
I am planning on making a custom vivarium with a textured floor that can be cleaned easily. I believe you can use tile grout and then paint over it for a natural look. Anything that gives a bit of grip, but can be easily cleaned, washed/disinfected without leaving loose bits has got to be good surely? Again, keep an eye on temps though.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think if you get 20 reptile owners in a room and ask about the best substrate, you will likely get 20 different answers.
I am planning on making a custom vivarium with a textured floor that can be cleaned easily. I believe you can use tile grout and then paint over it for a natural look. Anything that gives a bit of grip, but can be easily cleaned, washed/disinfected without leaving loose bits has got to be good surely? Again, keep an eye on temps though.
Wouldn't use tile grout as a substrate alone...... The sealer required us pretty toxic for animals etc.......

Any and all substrates all bad one way or another...... Personally I believe it rests directly on the owners care and responsibilities of there pet. To insure survival............

Ntt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Paint/sealer needs a bit of investigation, but found this on another forum:

The main thing I believe you need to be certain that the product you use when dry is not giving any form of toxic fumes or degrades in that fashsion giving off any toxic fumes.
This is why I like the Spar Urethane(Gloss or Semi Gloss). It really creates a hard durable end product. That provides a very smooth easy to clean surface as well. It doesn't degrade in any toxic manner. Direct Sunlight weather ( non issue) or temperatures have no degrading affect on it.

Minwax Polycrylic is another option. I used thisPolycrylic , kind of accicentally on my latest cage I built. Similar color can and similar product as Spar Urethane. Polyacrylic is a more a less clear plastic type cover upon drying.
I would always rather use Spar but Poly works almost as well just not as durable,but safe.