• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

good substrate for bearded?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
See people use it ALOT..... I was going to use it myself reason that stopped me is the fact the rocks etc glued to it can and do come off........ If by chance your beardie got it in them it could cause impaction.......... Weather or not you feed in the viv or not there's always that risk.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I've never came across it before I have used just regular tan repticarpet and it worked great, I've used the walnut shell stuff its very dusty and can get moldy from spilled water very easily. Sand is terrible for young beardies. So I suggest repticarpet plain

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use Repti carpet in Dexter's tank but for Luci I had to go back to paper towel because it was easier to clean. Plus I went to clean the carpet the other day and found about 20 crickets living under it, I thought he ate them all! Luci is a very restless boy and is non stop running around his tank and glass dancing, everything gets moved around his tank on a daly basis.

smackey

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You can also use tiles which is very easy to maintain and can file the claws of your beardie. I bought mine from home depot then measure and cut it myself.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401916342.318848.jpg

smackey

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You need to get a tile with texture. If u can get a slate tile its much better.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just also keep in mind using tile that it will retain heat so you'll have to play with temps again(no biggie). And when cleaning don't just take the tile up that was popped on take ones up around also to make sure no urine etc got between the cracks.......

adam5906

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What I do with my tile is I seal all cracks and crevices with 100% silicone. Keeps water and poop from getting in the cracks.

adam5906

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Some will say yes and some will say no. I'll say no because my bearded dragon always goes around and licks his hides and the tile I have in there for him. If sand was in there, he could accidentally eat it. If you absolutely want sand I would set up just alittle corner with washed play sand.

adam5906

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The silicone can be taken off really easy. It's really flexible and peels off. I don't move the tile though. When he poops I spray it with bleach and take paper towel and wipe it off. It's really easy to clean