• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Giant islander roaches

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My local Petco sells dubia roaches but they sell them as spotted roaches. Whatever you want to call them I guess :) but they also sell what they call giant islander roaches. These guys are monsters, they have to be 3 1/2 inches long and I've joked their almost as big as a mouse. They look a lot like the madagascar hissing cockroaches and I looked up giant islander roaches and just got results for hissers so are the two the same thing? I've seen adult dubias in pictures that look pretty big and female dubias look a little bit like hissers but not quite. There's no way dubias can get that big right? And these islanders are sold only two per container at about $10 which is something I would expect and seems fair for hissers but seems way too expensive for even the biggest dubias two at a time. What are these guys? Are they just another name for madagascar hissing cockroaches?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wondered what they were too. My Petco sells them and they creep the heck out of me, but then all roaches do!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sorry - cant help ya with this one. I can deal with the dubias, but I'm not so sure abou 3 & 1/2 inches !!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea the hissers can get huge! Dubia's can get big but they top out at about 2" in length.. People keep the hissers as pets. they creep me out.. So yes there is a difference as they are not meant for feeders from what I know.