• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GAGGING PLEASE HELP!!!

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon
She has been doing this for a little while now but i read a few things and they seemed to work but tonight her lights went out and she gagged really hard twice it was terrifying and it looked like something black was in her mouth. She has never gagged like this before. Saliva dripped out of her mouth im so scared. She is a little over three years old. I havent posted on here for a while because things have been going well but now im really acared. Her poop schedule is a little off as well. When she gags her beard puffs up and then she seems to swallow and then licks her lips.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:( I hope things have settled down for your dragon! Can you see anything?? how is she acting otherwise?? what did she eat last? do you have a vet that see's reptiles?? I know mine will puff up her beard and open her mouth really wide every once and awhile kind of like yawning...

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon
just her regular diet. Crickets every other day and greens every day breakfast and dinner or whenever she decides to eat. Correct temperatures and everything. There is a vet nearby but its $40 just for the checkup and god knows how much for medicine if she needs it. Im in college so i really only have money for feeding her and new lightbulbs when they burn out. Thats why i turned to the forum before going to the vet in case its something that can be handled at home. Shes acting normal otherwise. Shes older so shes a bit lazy which is normal but i take her out of the tank and shes a happy lizard runnin around as if she were 6 months old.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It is possible that she had some salad still in her throat. I've heard that they sometimes store food in their jowls for whatever reason. What was she sitting on when she was doing this? Was she sitting flat or was her belly on something? I had Dexter on my chest last week and she was doing this weird swallowing gagging thing and my boyfriend pointed out that the way she was sitting, her belly was being pushed in.

Do you notice any fluid coming from anywhere else? Like her nose or her eyes? Is there a cough when she does it? When you say her lights temps are correct is her basking spot around 100 degrees? Older dragons don't need it as hot as babies do.

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon
It is possible that she had some salad still in her throat. I've heard that they sometimes store food in their jowls for whatever reason. What was she sitting on when she was doing this? Was she sitting flat or was her belly on something? I had Dexter on my chest last week and she was doing this weird swallowing gagging thing and my boyfriend pointed out that the way she was sitting, her belly was being pushed in.

Do you notice any fluid coming from anywhere else? Like her nose or her eyes? Is there a cough when she does it? When you say her lights temps are correct is her basking spot around 100 degrees? Older dragons don't need it as hot as babies do.

Yes her temp is about 100. And she does it even when her belly is off the ground. No fluids from anywhere else. Also i wouldnt describe it as coughing. Just gagging and then swallowing.

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon

Also she seems to do it more when she is colder such as outside of her enclosure or when the lights go out

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hmm, not sure, they really do the weirdest things that we may never understand LOL! I have to say that Dexter sometimes does this too. Almost like she throws up in her mouth and then swallows it. I don't really know why.

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon
Okay thanks thats actually very reassuring :)
Hmm, not sure, they really do the weirdest things that we may never understand LOL! I have to say that Dexter sometimes does this too. Almost like she throws up in her mouth and then swallows it. I don't really know why.