• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Funny story

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Funny story guys! I thought I'd share it. Those of you that know me and have seen some of my other posts know that I am a terrarium freak and have a growing collection. I currently have a juvenile bearded dragon, 3 frogs and of course up until 3 months ago when he passed away unexpectedly I had a young adult male Jackson's chameleon. I am also blessed with a beautiful almost 4 inch male Mexican fire-leg tarantula named October who I would say is quite a character actually (he's black and orange and he's a tarantula so he fits perfectly with Halloween hence his name.) Anyway, sometimes even my (family) collection catches me off guard at the right times. That happened this morning. Have you ever been so tired first thing in the morning that it actually makes you kind of stupid? Well I guess I woke up from some deep dream and bare in mind that I have a few cracks in my windows right now (they're old windows) that I have taped up to keep insects, especially moths which freak me the heck out, from getting in. Like I was saying I just woke up and I am really groggy or as we call it in our house groggy stupid. I lift my head off the pillow and look at the foot of the bed and I was actually startled. I was like "Holy crap that is one huge spider! How did it get in here?" And then my mind clears up and I realize it's just October crawling around the glass of his tank which is across from my bed and me being in that wakeup state of mind forgot was there since you can see the wall through the other side of it. Here's a recent pick of him but he got a bit bigger about a month ago when he molted. He's all tucked up in this picture but he looks his size when his legs are spread out, especially when he's up on the glass. Even though I know him well and am very used to him imagine just waking up and not being all there yet and being greeted by him crawling around across the room at a time when your trying to keep bugs out of the house. :)

Attachments

• October 4.jpg
    October 4.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 40

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OMG I would have died!

Lol I wasn't scared. I know October well but not recognizing him briefly made me jump a bit. I just moved him to his permanent home as he had been growing up in one of those critter keepers and while he adjusts he's been crawling and climbing around a lot. Normally he sits around and I guess I just didn't expect to see him climbing all over so early in the morning :) Now if he had gotten out and was on the outside of the glass that would have made me really jump. Like most dads I freak when my kids are unattended. Besides he's cranky and it would have been hard to get him back in there :)

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
lol; I don't think I can do arachnids.

I think they are amazing; but I would end up getting torn apart by their hairs by accidentally doing somethting that'd piss em off at me :(

Reptiles are more my forte lol....Very nice looking tarantula though!

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
lol; I don't think I can do arachnids.

I think they are amazing; but I would end up getting torn apart by their hairs by accidentally doing somethting that'd piss em off at me :(

Reptiles are more my forte lol....Very nice looking tarantula though!

Thanks Elders! The fireleg is my favorite species. Yeah my area is reptiles and amphibians too but I like many types of invertebrates as. I love tarantulas I think those giant stag beetles are awesome. The great thing about tarantulas though aside from how beautiful they can be is just how hardy they are. They like room temperature, and even though some tropical species need some higher humidity they don't need any special heating or lighting and they can go without food or water for months if necessary. They only need to be fed about 1 or 2 insects a week and they are so clean. You only need to clean the enclosure maybe twice a year. For sure though I can say that reptiles and amphibians are much more agreeable in every way. Certainly easier to reason with them when they get stuck in their moods (although my bearded dragon is a little she-devil.)