• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Time Owner - Trying to get the right heating

Nabob

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am getting my enclosure all set up to get our first bearded dragon in a few weeks! I have a 4x2x2 that we just filled out with a couple hides, some branches and a hammock. I bought two different light bulbs to test out and try to get the proper heating. However, I have seen everything from 95 degrees to 115 degrees for the basking spot and both my bulbs are in that range, just one either end of it so I am not sure which I should be using!

The two bulbs I got are a 100 watt incandescent regular style light bulb, and a 65 watt directed flood light style. The 100 watt regular is getting the basking spot temp at the top of the rock hide underneath it to 98-100 degrees and the 65 watt flood light is getting it to 108-112. Both have pretty similar ambient temps of 85-90 on the hot side and 80-83 on the cool side. The bulbs are in an unshielded socket mounted inside the enclosure, and it does not have a screen top, so moving the bulbs is not an option. I am taking all temps with an infrared digital temp gun.

Is it better to use the 100 watt and be on the lower side of temps or the 65 watt and be on the higher side of temps?

One other thing of note is that the 100 watt does seem brighter, its a bit tough to look directly at, whereas I have no problem looking directly at the 65 watt, but I'm not sure if that is just because the flood light style bulb directs the brightness more downward.

I appreciate any help/advice, thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I am getting my enclosure all set up to get our first bearded dragon in a few weeks! I have a 4x2x2 that we just filled out with a couple hides, some branches and a hammock. I bought two different light bulbs to test out and try to get the proper heating. However, I have seen everything from 95 degrees to 115 degrees for the basking spot and both my bulbs are in that range, just one either end of it so I am not sure which I should be using!

The two bulbs I got are a 100 watt incandescent regular style light bulb, and a 65 watt directed flood light style. The 100 watt regular is getting the basking spot temp at the top of the rock hide underneath it to 98-100 degrees and the 65 watt flood light is getting it to 108-112. Both have pretty similar ambient temps of 85-90 on the hot side and 80-83 on the cool side. The bulbs are in an unshielded socket mounted inside the enclosure, and it does not have a screen top, so moving the bulbs is not an option. I am taking all temps with an infrared digital temp gun.

Is it better to use the 100 watt and be on the lower side of temps or the 65 watt and be on the higher side of temps?

One other thing of note is that the 100 watt does seem brighter, its a bit tough to look directly at, whereas I have no problem looking directly at the 65 watt, but I'm not sure if that is just because the flood light style bulb directs the brightness more downward.

I appreciate any help/advice, thank you!
I have a 4x2x2 zen- basking light is a exo terra 150 watt bulb that sits on top of screen-- I use a piece of decor that offers a gradient heat from 95- 110 depending on where he sits- if your using the hammock as a basking decor the IR gun is giving incorrect temps- you need a digital probe thermometer to get actual temps the probe needs to be set on the spot where he basks- you want a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby-- what are you using for a UVB

Nabob

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 4x2x2 zen- basking light is a exo terra 150 watt bulb that sits on top of screen-- I use a piece of decor that offers a gradient heat from 95- 110 depending on where he sits- if your using the hammock as a basking decor the IR gun is giving incorrect temps- you need a digital probe thermometer to get actual temps the probe needs to be set on the spot where he basks- you want a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby-- what are you using for a UVB

The hammock is on the cool side :) the basking spot is a faux rock cave thing we got at the pet store, it's probably ably about 12 inches high, so I'm taking the temps with the temp gun 2 inches from the top of the rock. Also we are planning to adopt an adult from a rescue in town, so I am looking for adult temps!

I have a 36 inch T5 reptisun mounted toward the hot side for uvb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The hammock is on the cool side :) the basking spot is a faux rock cave thing we got at the pet store, it's probably ably about 12 inches high, so I'm taking the temps with the temp gun 2 inches from the top of the rock. Also we are planning to adopt an adult from a rescue in town, so I am looking for adult temps!

I have a 36 inch T5 reptisun mounted toward the hot side for uvb.
Sounds good temps for adult 95-110- older dragons don't like the real hot temps so a gradient is good to offer so they can pick the spot they want to bask at- the T 5 is great I use the same UVB basking decor should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor