• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time owner, first brumation?

Jericakasmira

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, I got a little girl named Ezra and she’s pretty mild/chill personality to the point where you’d think she doesn’t have one... a few weeks ago she just stopped running after her bugs. When I let her out she wonders to the closest corner or covering and goes to sleep. When she’s up she seems fine. Eyes are alert. She’ll cuddle up against me and perch/just stair our the window for hours and I mean hours! she’s just not eating, not very active, and sleeping lots.... is this signs of brumation?? And if so, what do I do? How do I help? Make things easier?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
For brumation, you'll want to offer food once a week. If your beardie does eat, encourage her to spend some time basking.
When your beardie leaves brumation, she will be hungry. Gradualy increase the amount of food she eats ovver the course of a few days so that she doesn't upset her stomach. Do not force feed.
Turn off the heating in your tank, because beardies need cold to brumate properly.

Charley&pickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, I got a little girl named Ezra and she’s pretty mild/chill personality to the point where you’d think she doesn’t have one... a few weeks ago she just stopped running after her bugs. When I let her out she wonders to the closest corner or covering and goes to sleep. When she’s up she seems fine. Eyes are alert. She’ll cuddle up against me and perch/just stair our the window for hours and I mean hours! she’s just not eating, not very active, and sleeping lots.... is this signs of brumation?? And if so, what do I do? How do I help? Make things easier?

Charley&pickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh my goodness?! I’m having the exact same issue with my little girl pickle. She’s 7 months and exactly the same as you describe.
Surely this age is too early for brumating? X

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Oh my goodness?! I’m having the exact same issue with my little girl pickle. She’s 7 months and exactly the same as you describe.
Surely this age is too early for brumating? X
If you have proper heating/lighting/food and her poops are normal, there is a chance that she's brumating. Brumating babies are uncommon, but it can happen.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Second set of questions, do beardies need to brumate for health reasons?
In the wild, yes. Brumation slows down their metabolism so that they can survive the winter. However, in captivity there's not much of a reason since they get easy access to food year-round. They'll still do it on instinct, and you'll need to keep them healthy and at low temps during brumation.