• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Friend For Male

AD@M87

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi im new to the forum and was looking forf some advise :).

I have a 3yr old male in a 3x2x2ft tank and have been thinking he could do with a femal friend.
would a tank this size be to small for 2 adults?
He is the most sopy and friendly lizard and i think he deserves a friend.
what do ya think?

pls post thanks
Adam :D

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi welcome to the forum! The tank you have is adequate for 1 adult beardie and honestly you should never house 2 together regardless of the genders. You risk dominance issues, the passing on of illnesses from one to the other and if housing male/female you risk overbreeding and premature breeding (if you have too young a female)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Adam . . . Welcome

It is not a good idea to house 2 dragons together. If you want to breed, you can put a adult female and adult male together for a bit, but for the better part Beardies are solitary creatures and like being alone.

2 Males will inevitably fight, if they dont do so right away
I have also heard of two females housed together sucessfully, but still wouldnt advise it.

Rather stick to one per VIV.

Here are a few links

This site says http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1796&aid=2730
If you have more than one

Reptiles are territorial and may fight when caged together. A male and female Bearded Dragon can generally be kept together, however, the male may become too aggressive during the breeding season and have to be removed. Larger Bearded Dragons may keep smaller cage mates away from food and heat sources, and may even see them as an appetizer. If housing Bearded Dragons together, a larger cage will decrease the possibility of aggression; nevertheless, monitor the Dragons closely.

You didnt say if you wanted an adult female or not . . but this is what I quickly found...

This one . . . http://www.sundialreptile.com/care sheet--bearded dragon.htm
Please be wary of housing young females with males. Dragons may mate at young ages and run into complications with egg binding.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
waited too long to find this, but better late than never

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome and thank you for asking advise before doing something you where unsure of.

I do not suggest this. I just had someone contact me about some dragons they inherited and she was worried b/c the female was not eating and not basking. After talking with her more she told me that the male was head bobbing the female and stepping on her. They were housed in a VERY large viv and this still happened. She took my advise and separated them and now the female is eating and basking again.

Putting 2 males together is a bad idea. There is a good chance they will fight. You will see many beardies with missing legs, this is b/c of fighting. I don't remember who it was or what post it was but someone on here just told us about one of her dragons jumping out of the viv and run over to the other ones viv where they fought through the glass.

If you want to get another beardie I say go for it but do not let them have contact with each other. They like to be alone and that is what makes them happy. I have an adult male that freaks out when he sees my baby dragon in his viv and runs to him black bearding. He is the sweetest guy too. He even gets along with my dog just not my other dragon.

AD@M87

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies and advice :)

It got me thinking this morning as the guy at the reptile shop were i buy my bugs asked me if i have ever thought about getting a female for him.
He wasnt trying to sell 1 to me as they didnt have adults there anyway. But he made it sound ok and even another customer said it would be ok cos he has a breeding pair together.
There good people and i have delt wiv them for years. They even look after Him when i go on my holidays witch is nice.
love reptiles and would love another, you know how it is LOL

This advice has been very helpfull and will take it in to consideration

thanks 8)