• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding pinkies?

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
So I just recently went to the vet for my beardies first visit. Overall she is doing well. The vet gave me some fine grind to help her with getting the nutrients she needs. She doesn't eat her salads yet and I am gut loading her crickets. Her mandible was a little soft so he gave me some calcium in liquid form, can't remember the name. So he recommended when she is about a year old to feed her a couple of pinkies every other day and give her bugs as a treat. He also mentioned that giving her pinkies would essentially eliminate the need for calcium powder. Does anyone on here feed pinkies to their dragon's and if so how has it worked out?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I just recently went to the vet for my beardies first visit. Overall she is doing well. The vet gave me some fine grind to help her with getting the nutrients she needs. She doesn't eat her salads yet and I am gut loading her crickets. Her mandible was a little soft so he gave me some calcium in liquid form, can't remember the name. So he recommended when she is about a year old to feed her a couple of pinkies every other day and give her bugs as a treat. He also mentioned that giving her pinkies would essentially eliminate the need for calcium powder. Does anyone on here feed pinkies to their dragon's and if so how has it worked out?
I do not and do not recommend them -- they are very fatty and can cause a lot of health issues plus they can cause impaction to the dragon -- I would keep to the regular staple insect dubias are the best in my op-- the liquid calcium is fine --- I would get some BSFL DO NOT DUST THEM-- order large from here www.symtonbsf.com and use them as salad toppers make sure you add them to the salads first thing in the morning and in front of her so the movement gets her attention --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder - you can use a bowl like this to keep the BSFL in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
The dubias are a great compliment to the BSFL--- I would also start dusting the insects w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated -- ONCE per feeding -- what are you using for a UVB ? this will tell me about the calcium -- bulbs make a difference in calcium type

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
I do not and do not recommend them -- they are very fatty and can cause a lot of health issues plus they can cause impaction to the dragon -- I would keep to the regular staple insect dubias are the best in my op-- the liquid calcium is fine --- I would get some BSFL DO NOT DUST THEM-- order large from here www.symtonbsf.com and use them as salad toppers make sure you add them to the salads first thing in the morning and in front of her so the movement gets her attention --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder - you can use a bowl like this to keep the BSFL in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
The dubias are a great compliment to the BSFL--- I would also start dusting the insects w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated -- ONCE per feeding -- what are you using for a UVB ? this will tell me about the calcium -- bulbs make a difference in calcium type
I'm going to try and order some bsfl this weekend. I've been on that site before and only found them in cans. Is that normal or should they be live? I've also tried kale and she doesn't touch it. I still give her a salad everyday just in case she starts eating it and I'm gut loading the crickets with the same things. Her appetite has improved since I first got her. She went from 4-5 crickets a day to sometimes 10-15. As far as the pinkies, the vet told me that they were easier to digest and that they can break down the bones to get calcium. He never mentioned any possible health risks though. As much as I want to take the vets advise I would rather go off of other people's experiences. Just got a reptisun 22" uvb bulb last week and that's when her appetite started to get better. It is sitting on top of the screen which I'm thinking about cutting out that section of screen. I know it filters out like a third of the uv. I'm not able to put it inside the tank without it being too close to her basking spot.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm going to try and order some bsfl this weekend. I've been on that site before and only found them in cans. Is that normal or should they be live? I've also tried kale and she doesn't touch it. I still give her a salad everyday just in case she starts eating it and I'm gut loading the crickets with the same things. Her appetite has improved since I first got her. She went from 4-5 crickets a day to sometimes 10-15. As far as the pinkies, the vet told me that they were easier to digest and that they can break down the bones to get calcium. He never mentioned any possible health risks though. As much as I want to take the vets advise I would rather go off of other people's experiences. Just got a reptisun 22" uvb bulb last week and that's when her appetite started to get better. It is sitting on top of the screen which I'm thinking about cutting out that section of screen. I know it filters out like a third of the uv. I'm not able to put it inside the tank without it being too close to her basking spot.
I am going to get some advice from some others who have had dragons longer than me and see what their input is on this pinkie thing ---- as far as the BSFL get the live ones https://symtonbsf.com/collections/bsf-feeders/products/large-feeding-grade-grubs
Please get the UVB unobstructed w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor for a T 5 -- look on the bulb and it should say T 5 or T 8 --

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
I am going to get some advice from some others who have had dragons longer than me and see what their input is on this pinkie thing ---- as far as the BSFL get the live ones https://symtonbsf.com/collections/bsf-feeders/products/large-feeding-grade-grubs
Please get the UVB unobstructed w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor for a T 5 -- look on the bulb and it should say T 5 or T 8 --
It's a t5 5.0 I've read that the t8 lights flicker and that we can't see it but bearded dragons could possibly see the flicker. Plus it seems like t5 bulbs out perform the t8 bulbs.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's a t5 5.0 I've read that the t8 lights flicker and that we can't see it but bearded dragons could possibly see the flicker. Plus it seems like t5 bulbs out perform the t8 bulbs.
Please get a 10.0 T 5 bulb ---- your using a bulb that is equivalent to a T 8 and they are not as strong as the 10.0 - the 5.0 is more for aquarium use the 10.0 is for desert animals ----- distance needs to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor NO obstruction for a T 5 and the screen is a fine mesh screen -- T8's dont flicker I have used them they are just as good as the 10.0 but not as strong --- expiration date for T 8's are 6 months and T 5's are approx 1 yr --- the 5.0 bulb needs to be placed approx 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor -- NO OBSTRUCTION --- they are not strong enough to go thru screen ---

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Please get a 10.0 T 5 bulb ---- your using a bulb that is equivalent to a T 8 and they are not as strong as the 10.0 - the 5.0 is more for aquarium use the 10.0 is for desert animals ----- distance needs to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor NO obstruction for a T 5 and the screen is a fine mesh screen -- T8's dont flicker I have used them they are just as good as the 10.0 but not as strong --- expiration date for T 8's are 6 months and T 5's are approx 1 yr --- the 5.0 bulb needs to be placed approx 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor -- NO OBSTRUCTION --- they are not strong enough to go thru screen ---
Ok, if I remember correctly, my first post on this site you mentioned using a 5.0 for the 20 gallon that I'm using then getting a 10.0 when I get a bigger enclosure. I'll double check to make sure but that's why I went with the 5.0 for now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, if I remember correctly, my first post on this site you mentioned using a 5.0 for the 20 gallon that I'm using then getting a 10.0 when I get a bigger enclosure. I'll double check to make sure but that's why I went with the 5.0 for now.
Ok yes the 5.0 for the 20 gallon - no obstruction and 6-8 inches above decor :)

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Ok good, I just found the post too. I started to panic a little cause that's what I thought you said. Lol. It is sitting about 6 inches away. It's a 30" hood so it's also almost 4 inches to the right of her basking spot.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is what the person I asked about the pinkies and I have asked a vet tech that I know too so I will hopefully get a response from her tonite ---
I don't use them simply because I feel sorry for them and don't feel any need to use them. Having said that, pinkie mice under 5 days old seem to be a decent food item a couple times a week. From what I've read they are high in protein + calcium and have low to average amounts of fat. The bones are very soft + small so they pose no danger to an average healthy sub adult + larger dragon. I'm not an expert for sure but I don't see anything wrong , but there IS the chance of parasite transmission. Still, it's best for each person to do as much research as they can and make their own decision.
I was always under the impression they were really fattening so I was wrong -- it is up to you I am hoping to get some input from the vet tech

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Ok, I was a little bit blown away by this suggestion from the vet cause I haven't seen or read anything about feeding pinkies. With that said, he did mention getting them from a reputable source that just breeds mice for food to reduce the chance of having parasites. Like I said earlier I would like to take his advise but I would rather get some feedback from someone with the experience before just jumping into it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I was a little bit blown away by this suggestion from the vet cause I haven't seen or read anything about feeding pinkies. With that said, he did mention getting them from a reputable source that just breeds mice for food to reduce the chance of having parasites. Like I said earlier I would like to take his advise but I would rather get some feedback from someone with the experience before just jumping into it.
I guess it's up to you- I still have a vet techs advice yet to get so I will post that when she responds

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, if I do I will proceed with caution but that's gonna be almost a year from now if I do. Thanks for looking into it and your feedback.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is the response I got back from the vet tech

Normally I don't recommend feeding pinkies much, though some do.
I usually don't like to feed them simply due to the risk of impactions or
possible mouth or intestinal damage.
Since she may have some metabolic bone issues then stick with the
oral liquid calcium & smaller prey so she wont injure her jaw when trying
to chew.