• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Baby Beardie..

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
Although, I am reading everywhere that says the Dubia Roaches are better.. I am one of those beardie Mom's who just can't get over the fact that I have to deal with Roaches; like my skin is crawling just typing about them(it's that bad)... With that being said, is the only thing I can feed him right now crickets? Are they NO good filled worms I can give him?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20150121_202222.jpeg
    20150121_202222.jpeg
    925.6 KB · Views: 20

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Depends on the size of the worm. You'll want his food items to be no bigger than the space between his eyeballs...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
With worms make sure that the body is no wider than the space between his eyes. I feed my boy Luci large super worms and sometimes he he will get a big one and he just bites in the middle, part of the worm falls on the floor and when he's done chewing he goes back to get what he dropped!

nitrous12

Bearded Dragon Egg
I decided to try giving my boy Spike some Superworms. He bit them into pieces easily. If we followed the rule of nothing bigger (including length) than the space between their eyes not even an adult could eat a Superworm.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I decided to try giving my boy Spike some Superworms. He bit them into pieces easily. If we followed the rule of nothing bigger (including length) than the space between their eyes not even an adult could eat a Superworm.

Exactly!

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mushu eats dubias that are bigger than between his eyes. I got brave an ordered the next size up because he was eating 2 at a time etc.of the small ones and went through 200 in a week and a half. He is eating the next size easy so I am glad I ordered the larger ones.

nitrous12

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can't wait until the temps get warmer and I can order some variety. I would like to get Spike Silkworms, Phoenix worms and maybe some dubais. Not sure how I feel about having to keep and deal with roaches though.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I wish we could get locusts (grasshoppers) commercially here in the US! That would be great, but its not possible. However, you can feed hornworms, phoenix worms (also called calci worms or just plain black soldier fly larvae), silkworms, nightcrawlers, etc. The more variety, the better it is for your dragon.

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
Can you get all these alternative worms at the pet store? Reptiworms, hornworms, super worms? Also, can you use these as a staple?
My lil one is only eating 4-5 small crickets 2x a day.. He's making me nervous again.. He's also always opening his mouth at me when I go to grab him. I think my house is a little too choatic for him. lol

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Depends on your pet store and how big they are/how much they stock. My local does hornworms, superworms and nightcrawlers. I dont think any do reptiworms/phoenix worms, or silkworms but those you can order online.

Can you do a rundown of your enclosure and post a picture or two of the entire enclosure? Might be that some things need to be tweaked a bit, or could just be that he is still settling in.

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
Pictures attached.
Tank stays around 100 degrees during the day with the basking lamp & UVB light..

Attachments

• 20150121_202201.jpeg
    20150121_202201.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20150121_202205.jpeg
    20150121_202205.jpeg
    950 KB · Views: 23

Nichole1228

Juvenile Dragon
What is the best worm to feed a 3/4 mo. old? I've heard some worms can drill through their stomach is that true? For now I have just been feeding him crickets.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What is the best worm to feed a 3/4 mo. old? I've heard some worms can drill through their stomach is that true? For now I have just been feeding him crickets.

It's just a myth that worms eat through their stomachs. Bearded dragons have strong jaws and sharp teeth, if you've ever watched a one eat a worm you will see that there is no way the worm could survive the chewing. If it does somehow survive, it will die in the stomach acid.

Phoenix, calcium, repti worms are good they are pretty small. Wax worms are a good treat, they are kinda fatty. Not sure if they have small super worms you could try those. Maybe even half a nightcrawler would be okay. Silkworms and hornworms are also good but you'd have to feed them off fast before they grow too big.