• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! Thorn is a 3.5 year old female bearded dragon. In the past week she has exhibited bizarre behavior that I have never seen before.

She at first began digging all around her tank (which she does often), but then she started acting in other ways I can't seem to find answers to.

She began to randomly head nod in her tank and wave (I know this is normal but she's moving sooo fast and jerky) She would climb down off her basking rock and sprint toward the other side of the enclosure, straight into the wall. Moving so fast and scrammbly. Then she would change direction and run straight into another wall, then hide in that corner under a plant. This seems to be all in a panic...

She seems to act as though she no longer trusts anyone in the house who looks at her or even walks by her. She used to be very polite and love people. But now it seems like she doesn't even recognize us/ seems almost afraid of us?She hissed at me today and showed off her beard when I tried to check in on her.

Her movements seem jerky and spazzy. She seems to be extremely on edge and just sits there staring very blankly...I'm very worried as I have never seen her act this way before.

I took her to the vet last week to get a bump checked out and the vet said everything was fine but that she is overweight. I have cut back on her proteins and she has not been eating much else.

She moved into a 100 gallon tank about a month ago and was absolutely loving it. Please check out her set up in the attached photos. (She does have some new lighting in the tank.
IMG_5614.jpeg
IMG_5612.jpeg
IMG_5613.jpeg
IMG_5614.jpeg

IMG_5612.jpegIMG_5613.jpeg

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
I do have two infrared bulbs, one 150 and one 100. The tank is so large I thought it was needed to warm up the hotter side. Then there is a T5 reptizoo uvb on one side, and a thrive uvb light on the side with the two infrared.

When I first got her, they told me she was a male do to her aggression. But around a year later she had the two bumps instead of one. So I think she is a girl, but not entirely sure...

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
You should get rid of the red light; it will cause eye problems. What do you use for your lighting? Are you certain shes female? Sometimes females get like this when they have eggs in them
I do have two infrared bulbs, one 150 and one 100. The tank is so large I thought it was needed to warm up the hotter side. Then there is a T5 reptizoo uvb on one side, and a thrive uvb light on the side with the two infrared.

When I first got her, they told me she was a male do to her aggression. But around a year later she had the two bumps instead of one. So I think she is a girl, but not entirely sure...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Get rid of the thrive UVB and the Repisun UVB is a coil as well --- both coils are no good ---

NO colored bulbs NO coils and you need digital probe thermometers for accurate basking temps --- this would be a cause for behavioral changes -- I would get them changed out ASAP - at this point shes getting NO UVB --
UVB's help the dragon absorb the calcium they are fed -- they need calcium to keep the MBD away not to mention other health issues like RI -- another big issue --- if they dont have the correct UVB they get sick -- and die -- coils do not emit the proper UVB rays --- I have seen too many dragons w/ coil UVB's that are horribly sick or are dying --- here is some info for UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
here is some info on 26 watt bulbs but these are Reptisuns

The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey! thanks for all this info!!

What lights should be used for the heat aspect?

I'm a little confused on what she will be needing to meet the lighting requirements for a 100 gallon?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey! thanks for all this info!!

What lights should be used for the heat aspect?

I'm a little confused on what she will be needing to meet the lighting requirements for a 100 gallon?
I use a exxo terra 150 watt for my 120 gallon it's going to be trial and error- w/ basking bulbs--- if you need heat at nite a ceramic heat emitter--- they produce heat no light- that's if your tank is falling below 65 at nite- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get the basking temp-

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Make sure your beardie is not egg-bound-a common cause for digging. Provide her with a dig box so she can lay her eggs. If she doesn't pass them, the eggs can cause fatal complications.

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure your beardie is not egg-bound-a common cause for digging. Provide her with a dig box so she can lay her eggs. If she doesn't pass them, the eggs can cause fatal complications.
How can you tell if she has eggs?

I can't feel them in her stomach... Are there other signs? :/

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use a exxo terra 150 watt for my 120 gallon it's going to be trial and error- w/ basking bulbs--- if you need heat at nite a ceramic heat emitter--- they produce heat no light- that's if your tank is falling below 65 at nite- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get the basking temp-
Thanks again for your replies. Thorn and I appreciate it. So I have a double deep dome light.. should I fill the 150 exxo terra in that?? Also I have the T5 repti sun uvb but also another thrive one in the dome. will she need more than just the t5 on one side of her tank?

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is the current situation...

I believe it is actually a T8, sorry for the misinfo.

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpeg
    IMG_5623.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5624.jpeg
    IMG_5624.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5625.jpeg
    IMG_5625.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5626.jpeg
    IMG_5626.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5627.jpeg
    IMG_5627.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
After you fix the lights and if shes still eating and acting relatively normal, I'd say make a small egg box for her(With play sand or something similar) and wait and see if anything happens. I'm no expert though! But you do need to follow what Sadie posted because it is a means of life and death. Good luck! :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is the current situation...

I believe it is actually a T8, sorry for the misinfo.
Ok so all the lighting in that tank needs to go EXCEPT the T 8 and the fixture needs a reflector and it needs to go inside the tank w/ NO obstruction -- directly over head w/ a basking distance of 6-8 inches ------------ PLEASE GET RID OF THE RED BULBS AND THE COIL BULB --- this is why your dragon is your dragon is behaving the way he is---------- the screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays and the red bulbs are hurting his eyes --- along w/ the coil ---- please get a bright white basking bulb it looks like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...nse-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202 I would start w/ a 100 watt make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps --- take the probe set it on the place he sits for basking wait 10 min get the temp --- temps need to be 95-110 for an adult --- please make the changes you can get a reflector from here for your fixture
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/mi.../arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
Please make the changes and you will notice a difference in his behavior --- if you need help hanging the fixture in the tank please ask and I will post things to hang w/

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon

I thought 2 bumps was a boy? But I could be wrong.

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so all the lighting in that tank needs to go EXCEPT the T 8 and the fixture needs a reflector and it needs to go inside the tank w/ NO obstruction -- directly over head w/ a basking distance of 6-8 inches ------------ PLEASE GET RID OF THE RED BULBS AND THE COIL BULB --- this is why your dragon is your dragon is behaving the way he is---------- the screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays and the red bulbs are hurting his eyes --- along w/ the coil ---- please get a bright white basking bulb it looks like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...nse-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202 I would start w/ a 100 watt make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps --- take the probe set it on the place he sits for basking wait 10 min get the temp --- temps need to be 95-110 for an adult --- please make the changes you can get a reflector from here for your fixture
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/mi.../arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
Please make the changes and you will notice a difference in his behavior --- if you need help hanging the fixture in the tank please ask and I will post things to hang w/
Thank you so much, I just bought these bulbs and will be installing tonight. Any info you have on putting the T8 inside the tank would be great, I do have a spot on the side of the tank where wires can go through but don’t know how to mount the light.
Thanks again so much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much, I just bought these bulbs and will be installing tonight. Any info you have on putting the T8 inside the tank would be great, I do have a spot on the side of the tank where wires can go through but don’t know how to mount the light.
Thanks again so much.
It needs to go directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches you can hang w/ 3M Velcro command fasteners--long plastic zip ties fishing line picture hanging wire or some TAK TY cable and hook look for those at walmart don't know if they carry them

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
After you fix the lights and if shes still eating and acting relatively normal, I'd say make a small egg box for her(With play sand or something similar) and wait and see if anything happens. I'm no expert though! But you do need to follow what Sadie posted because it is a means of life and death. Good luck! :)
I’m on it :) thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59

Thornessa

Bearded Dragon Egg
It needs to go directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches you can hang w/ 3M Velcro command fasteners--long plastic zip ties fishing line picture hanging wire or some TAK TY cable and hook look for those at walmart don't know if they carry them
The basking light should only be during the day, correct?