• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure questions

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
Hello! I’m considering getting a bearded dragon. I’ve got uvb, heating, substrate, feeders, etc. all down but I’m not 100% sure about what type of enclosure to get.

My current options are 4x2x2 ft wooden enclosure, 5x2x2 glass enclosure or 6x2x2/6x2x3 wooden enclosure.

Which would be overall best? Would I have to keep the beardie in a smaller enclosure until it gets bigger? Would 6ft be too large? Would a beardie use 3ft of climbing space if given the opportunity? Any other tips for the enclosure itself? Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I’m considering getting a bearded dragon. I’ve got uvb, heating, substrate, feeders, etc. all down but I’m not 100% sure about what type of enclosure to get.

My current options are 4x2x2 ft wooden enclosure, 5x2x2 glass enclosure or 6x2x2/6x2x3 wooden enclosure.

Which would be overall best? Would I have to keep the beardie in a smaller enclosure until it gets bigger? Would 6ft be too large? Would a beardie use 3ft of climbing space if given the opportunity? Any other tips for the enclosure itself? Thanks!
Zen habitats makes nice enclosures along w/ carolina cages- I prefer and have the zens they are PVC along w/ bamboo sides and back they are easier to heat than glass check them out the zens are light weight- you can partition off half the tank if you need to - what are you using for a UVB? No coils they are inadequate--- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
Zen habitats makes nice enclosures along w/ carolina cages- I prefer and have the zens they are PVC along w/ bamboo sides and back they are easier to heat than glass check them out the zens are light weight- you can partition off half the tank if you need to - what are you using for a UVB? No coils they are inadequate--- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
Zen doesn’t ship to my country haha :( Pretty set on using glass enclosure, or a wooden enclosure I build myself since there aren’t many other options here

Planning to use Arcadia desert 10% for UVB and their halogen heat lamps for heating, then a deep heat projector for keeping up night temps. I have a temp gun that’s pretty handy for taking temps, I’ll be monitoring the enclosure daily

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Zen doesn’t ship to my country haha :( Pretty set on using glass enclosure, or a wooden enclosure I build myself since there aren’t many other options here

Planning to use Arcadia desert 10% for UVB and their halogen heat lamps for heating, then a deep heat projector for keeping up night temps. I have a temp gun that’s pretty handy for taking temps, I’ll be monitoring the enclosure daily
Please use the Arcadia 12% desert bulb--- and please get a digital probe thermometer as well sometimes certain materials throw IR guns off--

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies are semi-Arboreal , while 3 feet can be easy to climb, you need to think about how he’d be coming down, if he’s jumping from his basking spot every day thats gonna be a problem.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran

This is a really nice one

this is a great choice here. I won’t get one when frank gets bigger because I don’t have that kind of budget. But if you are looking at 6x2x2 then this should work great