• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia roach colony… again

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
So I know I keep coming back to this topic. But I have been wanting to start my dubia roach colony for a while now, the only problem is I dont have 8-9 months for it to get started. People have told me to find established dubia colonies but so far no luck. I was hoping If any one has some tips for me or places I could find established colonies. This is my first time breeding any kind of bugs and I would really appreciate some help!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So I know I keep coming back to this topic. But I have been wanting to start my dubia roach colony for a while now, the only problem is I dont have 8-9 months for it to get started. People have told me to find established dubia colonies but so far no luck. I was hoping If any one has some tips for me or places I could find established colonies. This is my first time breeding any kind of bugs and I would really appreciate some help!
Buy a ton of the largest ones you can find and grow them yourself (1” will grow to adults within a few months) i have discoids (they’re similar a species) and have bought them from luna roaches, theres tons of websites for roaches, i cant particularly recommend any cause of the state i live in, but they’re very similar in care, you want to be feeding fresh veg , every day to every 3 days, they need roach chow, and water crystals (3 separate dishes, oh yea) a heating pad is Necessary if ur house is cool temped (recommend one with a temp gauge) and put it on the side at first, you dont want the whole bin to be hot. If you want substrate (I recommend, but not necessarily needed) it will help keep in humidity needed for breeding and molting, you need to maintain 3 things, heat humidity and diet, ive heard feeding oranges is like a Aphrodisiac for roaches (i can neither confirm nor deny this)

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Buy a ton of the largest ones you can find and grow them yourself (1” will grow to adults within a few months) i have discoids (they’re similar a species) and have bought them from luna roaches, theres tons of websites for roaches, i cant particularly recommend any cause of the state i live in, but they’re very similar in care, you want to be feeding fresh veg , every day to every 3 days, they need roach chow, and water crystals (3 separate dishes, oh yea) a heating pad is Necessary if ur house is cool temped (recommend one with a temp gauge) and put it on the side at first, you dont want the whole bin to be hot. If you want substrate (I recommend, but not necessarily needed) it will help keep in humidity needed for breeding and molting, you need to maintain 3 things, heat humidity and diet, ive heard feeding oranges is like a Aphrodisiac for roaches (i can neither confirm nor deny this
Thank you for the response! I am still a bit confused though, how do I start the breeding process and do roach kits help. How long did your colony take to start?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You get a male and female, and she becomes receptive, the male will follow her and flap his elytra to mate with her, i failed my first time breeding, all my roaches just died one day, i had two separate batches going (thank goodness i did or I would of lost everything) id start small till you can keep them alive, then order more, either way its gonna take at least 3 months till u see egg sacs (they grow slow and breed slow) i did start with a kit, (but they are expensive) ive been breeding them for 9 months now i think? (These pictures are old, thats maybe month 3-5? I have 4 egg crates worth of bugs now)

Attachments

• 9F9EE11A-7211-4022-B971-9A706A0870FB.jpeg
    9F9EE11A-7211-4022-B971-9A706A0870FB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 57A5B228-DF8E-466B-97BD-3BC61F051AC2.jpeg
    57A5B228-DF8E-466B-97BD-3BC61F051AC2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 9A4F5820-46E9-4E01-8992-0DA0200F6A4A.jpeg
    9A4F5820-46E9-4E01-8992-0DA0200F6A4A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I set mine up three months ago & seeing a ton of babies. I purchased 20 adult females, 5 adult males & an assortment of various sizes because I read that they would breed faster if your bin had a various assortment to have it feel like an already established colony. I set mine up in a 200 quart bin with screen across both ends of the lid. I have it on heat tape keeping the temps at 83. I use water crystals misting the crystals every other day & changing that twice a week. I also spray the bin side every few days. I use cypress mulch which they like to eat the wood chunks & giving them places to hide. I have the tiny beetles added but can’t remember what they’re called but positive it’s not the Dermestid ones. I feed Roach chow, oranges, plain oatmeal, yams & sometimes frozen veggies or apples.
Please soak any fruits/veggies in vinegar water then rinse well. Both have pesticide to keep bugs off so they need soaked, rinsed & dried.
Try to not bother the bin to often so they don’t become stressed. I started mine sometime mid March & it’s going well. Once you see babies, try not to take every single one out because you will need to keep the bin with the various sizes to have it stay at a colony feel for them plus you don’t want to use up every single one which will leave you with no adults in the future since the adults will die off between the ages of 18-24 months.
Check every few months to make sure your females far outweigh the males. I also read that too many in one bin causes them to not breed which is why I went with such a large bin. I am still purchasing my feeders so even though I see lots of babies, they aren’t the 1/2” size that I need yet. By the time we get enough to use as feeders, our dragons are older & not gonna be needing as many…

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
You get a male and female, and she becomes receptive, the male will follow her and flap his elytra to mate with her, i failed my first time breeding, all my roaches just died one day, i had two separate batches going (thank goodness i did or I would of lost everything) id start small till you can keep them alive, then order more, either way its gonna take at least 3 months till u see egg sacs (they grow slow and breed slow) i did start with a kit, (but they are expensive) ive been breeding them for 9 months now i think? (These pictures are old, thats maybe month 3-5? I have 4 egg crates worth of bugs now)
How do you get the smaller size out? I tried the other day but it is so creepy having the big ones not move away. Finally I said that I will sell my adults & keep purchasing. If I shake the flat to get the ones I need then those big creepy ones fall too. I’m thinking there has to be a way for those of us that are afraid of the larger ones. Do you have any secrets to tell? Hah

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If u blow on them it sends them skittering, rubber tipped tongs work (but only go for the legs of them otherwise ur just crushing them). i just reach in and pick which ones im feeding that day no tips or tricks sorry :( , (ive been picking up black widows since i was 4 so bugs arnt an issue for me) but for someone who’d rather distance themselves, all i can say is they dont want to touch you as much as you dont want to touch them lol, theres a couple females in my bin that i take out and look over, they dont even try to get away it’s weird..

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If ur cleaning up lizard poop, ur already getting down and dirty lol, trust me dubias and discoids are the actually nice compared to the other roaches out there, they dont climb smooth surfaces, cant fly, dont bite, are generally really clean, and people say they emit a smell but ive never smelt anything, my bin just smells like dirt (and ive NEVER cleaned it)(although i do have other bugs in said bin too)(isopods,springtails, couple supers, pincher bugs, and two toxic millipedes)

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
I set mine up three months ago & seeing a ton of babies. I purchased 20 adult females, 5 adult males & an assortment of various sizes because I read that they would breed faster if your bin had a various assortment to have it feel like an already established colony. I set mine up in a 200 quart bin with screen across both ends of the lid. I have it on heat tape keeping the temps at 83. I use water crystals misting the crystals every other day & changing that twice a week. I also spray the bin side every few days. I use cypress mulch which they like to eat the wood chunks & giving them places to hide. I have the tiny beetles added but can’t remember what they’re called but positive it’s not the Dermestid ones. I feed Roach chow, oranges, plain oatmeal, yams & sometimes frozen veggies or apples.
Please soak any fruits/veggies in vinegar water then rinse well. Both have pesticide to keep bugs off so they need soaked, rinsed & dried.
Try to not bother the bin to often so they don’t become stressed. I started mine sometime mid March & it’s going well. Once you see babies, try not to take every single one out because you will need to keep the bin with the various sizes to have it stay at a colony feel for them plus you don’t want to use up every single one which will leave you with no adults in the future since the adults will die off between the ages of 18-24 months.
Check every few months to make sure your females far outweigh the males. I also read that too many in one bin causes them to not breed which is why I went with such a large bin. I am still purchasing my feeders so even though I see lots of babies, they aren’t the 1/2” size that I need yet. By the time we get enough to use as feeders, our dragons are older & not gonna be needing as many…
Hi, thank you so much!! This was a great answer. I just have a quick question about what you mean by various sizes. How many? And where can you pruahcase this much?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Oh wow! I’m hopping to get this many and maybe sell some as my Beardie gets older. And thank you for the tip! I was wondering, if I start seeing babies around month 3, how many can I feed my Beardie without the population dying off. Right now he can eat one that’s are about 1/2 an inch.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wow! I’m hopping to get this many and maybe sell some as my Beardie gets older. And thank you for the tip! I was wondering, if I start seeing babies around month 3, how many can I feed my Beardie without the population dying off. Right now he can eat one that’s are about 1/2 an inch.
It’ll take some experience on your part, or looking it up, once a roach gets to be 1” they only have 1-3more moltings before its an adult, once they get that big I wouldn’t feed it, feed the smaller roaches as those will take 3-5 months to grow to a larger size,… id pick up a bunch of mine to show you, but discoids grow differently than dubias (and i dont bother the bin)

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, thank you so much!! This was a great answer. I just have a quick question about what you mean by various sizes. How many? And where can you pruahcase this much?
Various sizes like twenty five of each of the other sizes starting with the 1/4”. I have ordered different places & have found most will take your money but then send a bigger size than what you ordered. Have been ordering from Dubideli.com for a few months & have had no issues. You should have the post office hold so they don’t sit on a truck which is what I do & all have arrived alive & well. Once you see babies, I would start by feeding only half of what you see (maybe a lil more) until you know for sure that breeding is actually going to continue.
I have the adults on heat tape set at 83 degrees & keep two other bins that kept off the heat because heat makes them grow quicker. So the baby bin I have some 1/4” for my really small beardie & another bin I keep my 1/2” in for my six month old.
been having issues with my older not eating & have had a bin of the 1/2” for a few months which haven’t grown much but if they were kept on the heat, then they would of been too large by now. If your wanting to keep feeders at a certain size, then just have them at room temperature but if your needing smaller ones to grow then put them on the heat. I am in no way an expert since I just started but I gave you all that has been working for me. I did tons of googling & everything says different things. I changed what I was doing many times before settling on my setup. I must of purchased bins at least five times. It’s kind of trying things out until you find something that works for you I guess. I don’t mind questions so don’t be afraid to ask away!

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
It’ll take some experience on your part, or looking it up, once a roach gets to be 1” they only have 1-3more moltings before its an adult, once they get that big I wouldn’t feed it, feed the smaller roaches as those will take 3-5 months to grow to a larger size,… id pick up a bunch of mine to show you, but discoids grow differently than dubias (and i dont bother the bin)
I don’t bother my bins often either but that’s because the adults are large & scary. LOL I can pick up the 1/2” & smaller if they are stuck on their back bcuz I feel bad but if one climbs on me, my instinct is to fling it off. Flung one across the room one time then felt bad & tore the room apart looking for it so it could go back in with its friends.
when it’s time to get them for feeding, I’m always taking some back to put in with the adults bcuz it’s either looking at me, cuter than the rest or some other something which makes me want to save it. Sometimes having a soft heart can really be a *****..haha

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Various sizes like twenty five of each of the other sizes starting with the 1/4”. I have ordered different places & have found most will take your money but then send a bigger size than what you ordered. Have been ordering from Dubideli.com for a few months & have had no issues. You should have the post office hold so they don’t sit on a truck which is what I do & all have arrived alive & well. Once you see babies, I would start by feeding only half of what you see (maybe a lil more) until you know for sure that breeding is actually going to continue.
I have the adults on heat tape set at 83 degrees & keep two other bins that kept off the heat because heat makes them grow quicker. So the baby bin I have some 1/4” for my really small beardie & another bin I keep my 1/2” in for my six month old.
been having issues with my older not eating & have had a bin of the 1/2” for a few months which haven’t grown much but if they were kept on the heat, then they would of been too large by now. If your wanting to keep feeders at a certain size, then just have them at room temperature but if your needing smaller ones to grow then put them on the heat. I am in no way an expert since I just started but I gave you all that has been working for me. I did tons of googling & everything says different things. I changed what I was doing many times before settling on my setup. I must of purchased bins at least five times. It’s kind of trying things out until you find something that works for you I guess. I don’t mind questions so don’t be afraid to ask away!
I have a quick follow up question becuase right now I’m focusing on heating, what heating brown are you using? My biggest concern right now is the heat pad melting through the plastic tub. Right now I am looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZKB1B1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6J6QPY7PKT53RJ00TK9J?psc=1

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
I have a quick follow up question becuase right now I’m focusing on heating, what heating brown are you using? My biggest concern right now is the heat pad melting through the plastic tub. Right now I am looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZKB1B1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6J6QPY7PKT53RJ00TK9J?psc=1
I’m not sure the link works so try searching this on Amazon 14W/20W110V Reptile Heating Pad with Temperature Adjustment, Under Tank Heat Pad, Safety Adjustable Reptile Heat Mat for Turtle, Tortoise, Snakes, Lizard, Gecko https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZKB1B1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6J6QPY7PKT53RJ00TK9J?psc=1

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I know nothing about heat pads, ive never used them, but if i were to get one, This one would probably be it, 10$ more but it also comes with a thermometer regulator..
22F28D55-E6B8-498A-BAA8-988CDA3DD4CC.jpeg

idk maybe its not as good as the one you picked out.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I’m not sure the link works so try searching this on Amazon 14W/20W110V Reptile Heating Pad with Temperature Adjustment, Under Tank Heat Pad, Safety Adjustable Reptile Heat Mat for Turtle, Tortoise, Snakes, Lizard, Gecko https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZKB1B1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6J6QPY7PKT53RJ00TK9J?psc=1
I’m not sure how to do links but I did try. Can’t figure it out but I went on Reptilebasics.com & after many frustrating weeks, I got the 12” heat tape had them do the connectors & a thermostat. I went with a 4’ so in the future other bins could be on it too. I was afraid of frying the roaches with a heating pad but I see where others use them & they are fine. Read the bad reviews before deciding because a lot of the good reviews are fake.

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
I built my own box. Wood frame,glass bottom, slippery plastic sides. I Know my heat mat will not melt the bottom.
Do you thing if I put directly on the plastic, it woll melt? People have told me to use glass as a barrier but I feel like this is just an extra step.

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
EvDo you thing if I put directly on the plastic, it woll melt? People have told me to use glass as a barrier but I feel like this is just an extra step.
I’ve seen a lot of pictures and videos of people using heat tape and mats on plastic without any problems. But it cancels any warranty on the product for misuse and isn’t 100% safe. I live where I work and don’t want to accidentally burn down the house.