• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dropping your dragon

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Anyone out there dropped their beardie by accident/purpose? I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone.

Today (Sunday), I had Ace outside with me at my cabin, in a closed off section so that he can stay with me while I did my yard sale. My uncle's girlfriend's son asked to hold Ace. So I said yes and showed him how to hold him n stuff. So he held him, and then his friend wanted to hold him. He gave his friend Ace, and things were fine. Suddenly, I see that boys hands fly up in the air and THERE GOES ACE. Fell to the ground, and it happened so fast, but it looked like he fell partially on his head.

Dumb kid. I hate kids. Well, I really don't like kids between the ages of 10-15 - they has no respect for anything.

Anyway, I was angry. I yelled at them, and they just pretty much laughed. My poor Ace. I gave him attention for a while, to make sure all was okay. Good thing, he was okay. No signs of an injury. Thank goodness.

This also reminded me one time Baby flew off the bed.
I had Baby and Ace on my bed. They were venturing around, then suddenly I hear THUMP. Baby jumped off the bed! Ohhhhh my gosh. She was okay though.

Anything like these happen to your beardies??

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes this happened when we first got Stubbs, once he flew off the bed and landed on his back....really scary but he was OK, and once when he was on my daughters head he decided to leap on the floor...this one we actually heard...he was not a very happy boy after that one...but again OK...needless to say he has never done this again ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, gosh. Poor Ace. Bernie jumped off of the back of the sofa once or twice. Scared us to death. He was ok.

Did he land in the grass? I have heard of cases where beardies did have injuries due to falling from high distances. The impact of the land is similar to us jumping from a building. Keep a close eye on him and look for any signs of issues.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
THAT WOULD HAVE BURNED MY BUTT TOO!!! And then to laugh about it!!! Let's just say that they wouldn't be laughing when I was done with them!! Last time they would be allowed anywhere near my house too!!

Sure glad your Dragon is alright!! :mad:

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad he is OK

Like Renee said, watch him closely for the next couple of days. I read once of a beardie falling from a shoulder, and symptoms didnt show till 3 days later. He had internal bleeding and unfortunately died as a result

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee, he did land in the grass, thank goodness.

Vesta said:
Let's just say that they wouldn't be laughing when I was done with them!!

I KNOW, EH? I was going to say/do something more, but I was more in shock that he fell and worried about him being injured, more than getting revenge...

Pogie said:
I read once of a beardie falling from a shoulder, and symptoms didnt show till 3 days later. He had internal bleeding and unfortunately died as a result

Oh my gosh, this seriously brought tears to my eyes. Now I'm scared. :'(

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
They're pretty hardy critters!!! The Yo-man used to hop out of his enclosure. The drop being a little over 2 feet. I got used to turning my back on him because he could not move well for a while but as soon as he could he started doing that. I would not worry too much but keep an eye on him for a little while!! And it sounds like he landed on grass which would have been a softer landing.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That is terrible.. Did they throw him if their hands were in the air? So glad your beardie is okay though and grass is softer then concrete or hardwood floors but I would still be mad.

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I hope everything is fine,I know it scares the heck out of you when they decide to go airborn!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just watch. As long as he is walking properly you know he didn't break anything. But watch for any strange spots on him and keep an eye on his poop. Those two things you could possibly see if any internal damage. Most of the time though these guys are pretty hardy.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
pscaulkins said:
Did they throw him if their hands were in the air?

Nope. It's kinda like when you get a creepy crawly or something you are scared/grossed out of, on your hand. Your hand moves fast and your arms move away.

Lisa, he's walking properly and everything. Still catching bugs with ease. But I will surely keep an eye on him and hope nothing goes out of the ordinary.

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im glad he is doing ok! I once went to a rescue and saw a Beardie that had been dropped on its head and had been feed through the Vet Intravenously

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Urrgh that really just irks me. If my kid did that to somebody's pet and then LAUGHED you best believe I'd take a switch to his behind quicker than you could blink an eye and then make him apologize to the owner. Letting them get away with this kind of behavior is the reason they have no respect as you mentioned earlier. This will carry into their adult life as well. Definitely an example of bad parenting. Sure he'll be fine though, soft grass and the general beardie toughness will be working in his favor :)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im so sorry if I scared you Melissa. It wasnt my intention. Just wanted to make sure you kept an eye on him for a few days to make sure.
Better safe than sorry I say.

Glad he is OK, and I recon the grass should have caught the most of the impact.

Those kids need a good spanking

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
And to think, I didn't even get an apology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

It's okay Monique, I guess I was just over-worried. I don't know what I'd do if I lost him!

Justus85 said:
Letting them get away with this kind of behavior is the reason they have no respect as you mentioned earlier. This will carry into their adult life as well. Definitely an example of bad parenting.
YUP

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The baby (Marley) at my house has no fear and leaps from any height if left to his own doings. So he has fallen a few times..No harm .He is a leaper....he is pretty good at it too. He can shoot off of me like a rocket. And NO, I don't allow it...He even does it in his enclosure..
Sadie explores everything.....one fall trying to reach the keyboard from Mikes lap with a leap, does enjoy the stairs.
Draco is very mellow. Will sit next to me, fall asleep on me.....so far, no falls..He is the quiet, reserved, dragon..

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
Those kids need a good spanking

LOL you definitely are not from America. They put us in jail for spanking kids these days, especially if they aren't yours. That said I can remember getting spanked/paddled by most of the neighborhood dad's growing up. Yes I deserved it.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL you definitely are not from America. They put us in jail for spanking kids these days, especially if they aren't yours. That said I can remember getting spanked/paddled by most of the neighborhood dad's growing up. Yes I deserved it.

And it didnt make you a terrible person or nothing right??? I firmly believe a good spanking at the appropriate times makes us stronger / better grown ups. I had my fair share of spankings as a kid too, and yes, I DESERVED EVERY ONE OF THEM

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:

And it didnt make you a terrible person or nothing right??? I firmly believe a good spanking at the appropriate times makes us stronger / better grown ups. I had my fair share of spankings as a kid too, and yes, I DESERVED EVERY ONE OF THEM

I still think it is funny. I grew up in the old south (farm land and what not old fashioned folks) and when I screwed up I had to do things like pick my own switch to get my rear hit with. Nowadays if you told a child to go pick a switch for his spanking you would have child protective services on your doorstep in under an hour. And people wonder what is wrong with todays youth. They do not know or understand the reprecussions of their actions because most never had to deal with anything more harsh than "go stand in the corner" lol.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ugh, I would've dropkicked that kid in the face. How disrespectful! :mad:

Loki's a leaper, climber, explorer and everything else. But I find the most dangerous part of him to be how unpredictable he is. I took him to the pet shop the other day, and he was sitting on my shoulder while I was telling the two guys working with the reptiles all about proper bearded dragon care. Then he leapt off my shoulder out of absolutely nowhere (he had been sitting there motionless for about three hours as I drove around my town doing minor errands), tried to grab onto the cricket enclosure, missed, and fell to the ground. Then he sprang back up as though nothing had happened, climbed back onto my arm and stayed there like a good boy for the rest of the trip. :p