• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon Memories

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This is going to open up the whole human emotion discussion but do you think it's possible for them to have good/bad memories?

Dexter refuses to eat out of my hand. She will occasionally eat a hornworm if my hand is completely flat but I can't dangle something in front of her and have her eat it. Whenever I try she straightens her front legs, stretches her head up and backs up fast with this scared look on her face. Almost like I offered her poison! I've tried to hand feed her out of her tank and I get the same reaction. I was trying to figure out when this all started with her. I think it all started the last time she bit me. I was trying to feed her a strawberry and I didn't move my hand away fast enough and she got my finger so hard it bled and swelled up. So I wondered if that could possibly be the reason she doesn't do it.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh yeah they can remember. I have moved my dubia colony 5 times and Bright Eyes always finds it and scratches like she wants in.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would think so. They remember they've bitten you and are hesitant? Allie's bitten me twice by accident, but not enough to draw blood. She would always look at me with an apologetic look at me. She was pretty careful. :)

Now, Myah has recognized the feeding bin. She runs right over to it and starts trying to get into the feeding bin. She's in a growth spurt and is shedding.

Marmoset

Hatchling Dragon
Well I think they certainly learn which leads me to believe that they have some degree of implicit memory. In other words I doubt Dexter is recalling the strawberry incident consciously but the movement or position of your hand can be triggering an automatic response to a less conscious memory.

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
I know when I bring out the bin of super worm my oldest definitely takes notice sometimes he runs right out of his cage.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I was out of town visiting my brand new great nephew so I missed all these posts!

I feel bad for Dexter she looks so scared when I hold food in front of her. So instead of holding it for her I will drop it in front of her but she still won't eat it :(. She's such a goof! I guess they do have some sort of memory because both her and Dexter know the super worm container and start to get excited.