• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Double Checking Lighting

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Now that we have our new baby beardie, I want to double check my lighting setup. Just wanted to run this by you guys...
-Mega-Ray SB 100
-20 Watt - T12 - 24inch Full Spectrum Fluorescent
F20T12/TRITEN50, Full Spectrum Natural Light
Both from reptileuv.com

Basking is around 105 and cool side 80's.
Just read some posts regarding temp gun. They sound cool, but is it worth it if I am just housing 1 beardie?
Thanks! Ashlee

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i bought my temp gun back when i was only housing 1 dragon ages ago. it was and still is one of the best investments i have ever made. the point and shoot accuracy is wonderful and the ability to use it anywere instead of having to set it and leave it is the best thing ever. just my opinion.

as far as your lighting goes
the megaray is a wonderful bulb and produces enough UV light for your dragon to be happy and healthy.
How big is your tank? i ask because you have 2 other UV lights and in my honest opinion i feel you are over doing it. Too much of a good thing can be bad. If im not mistaken you are running 3 UV lights and that can actually harm your dragons eyes. If you are wanting to light the cage up some cause the Megaray isnt bright enough then use a normal soft white flourescent and not another UV light.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In my honest opinion having two UV lights is overkill. The megaray is a mercury vapor bulb producing light heat and uvb rays. Your flourescent should just be a regular soft white flourescent. Too much UV can harm their eyes just as quickly as bad UV

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think (?) I went by suggestion of reptileuv.com consult. I see the logic of what you guys are saying about the second light.
And I do think I am going to get a temp gun. What's another $25 at this point?
;)