• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do T5's even with reflectors have to go on top of the encloure?

JoeyMania91

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have been told a T8 can only be mounted inside but I've seen people's set up with T5's inside and their Dragons are flourishing.

Does it depend on distance?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It's probably because of the screen top. The mesh filters out most of the UVB, so people mount their UVBs inside the enclosure for maximum light.
Distance does matter-the farther away the UVB is, less reaches the lizard. Mounting the UVB inside gets the light closer to the reptile, providing more UVB rays.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Inside T 5's should be a distance of 12-15 inches directly above basking decor

JoeyMania91

Bearded Dragon Egg
Inside T 5's should be a distance of 12-15 inches directly above basking decor

Exactly. I just got my Arcadia ProT5 Kit with a reflector and I mounted it inside and my beardie is loving it. His basking spot sits like 13 inches for the UVB/Basking area.

I've been attacked on facebook cause I said T5's can be mounted inside the right way lol.

JoeyMania91

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's probably because of the screen top. The mesh filters out most of the UVB, so people mount their UVBs inside the enclosure for maximum light.
Distance does matter-the farther away the UVB is, less reaches the lizard. Mounting the UVB inside gets the light closer to the reptile, providing more UVB rays.

Yep and with a reflector, it helps keep the UVB pointed down at the reptile inside of shooting it our everywhere and hurting their eyes.

Latest posts