• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY terrarium?

Chad and Grayson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Has anyone here made their own tank? I currently have a 30 gal but will want a bigger one by the time Captain is full grown. I'd like to make my own. I understand, like other projects I've done, that it might not save a ton of money. However, I could get the exact demensions I want to fit the space where I'll put it. But I have a few questions...

What type of glass and where to get it?

How to cut the glass?

What type of glue for the glass?

I've got some ideas for the screened lid, but any suggestions would be helpful - i.e. what materials?

Also, just an idea - I might want to make it so that the front glass panel is on hinges at the bottom so you
could open the enclosure from the front instead of just the top. This seems like it would be much easier access. Thoughts?

Lasen72

Juvenile Dragon
Your best bet would be to do a search, there are members on here that built their own enclosures and documented the build. You can see what they have done and maybe get some ideas from them or even asq them some questions

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Many of us that do DIY builds make wooden enclosures instead of glass. I prefer the wood since it eliminates the reflection they may see of themselves which can stress them out.

This is the enclosure I built for my little Mushu. It measures 4x2x2. The sliding doors in the front are plexiglass, which is lighter and less likely to break or crack than regular glass.
4630bbd05af8158d0c4b8580f5ad7bce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chad and Grayson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Many of us that do DIY builds make wooden enclosures instead of glass. I prefer the wood since it eliminates the reflection they may see of themselves which can stress them out.

This is the enclosure I built for my little Mushu. It measures 4x2x2. The sliding doors in the front are plexiglass, which is lighter and less likely to break or crack than regular glass.

Wow, Eavlynn! That's really cool. Totally changed my ideas on how I might do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow, Eavlynn! That's really cool. Totally changed my ideas on how I might do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Custom builds like this are a blast. Have fun with it! I enjoyed designing and building this enclosure as much as my little guy enjoys living in it haha. Let us know what you come up with as far as plans, I love a good DIY build!

william gallant

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just built my first one also. 36x16x16 . Wanted to start small. Will b doing a 4x2x18 later. I went to lowes and baught a 4x8x3/4 sheet of melamine board. 1 sheet did my whole enclosure. The sheet was 33 bucks and they cut all the pieces for free. I literally went home with a put it together enclosure. Ill give u a list.
Melamine board 4'x8'x3/4---------$33.00
Bok of 1 3/4 drywall screws ----- $7.00
Gorilla wood glue ---------------------- $9.00
Countersink drill bit for screws-- $4.00
Piece of 16"x36"x1/8" glass-------$8.00 (they cut in 1/2 and took 12 in off the top for me. Free)
Plastic slide track (amazon)-------$15.00
Three round vents for back 3in -- $4.00
Thats it. Lights and fixtures r your choice. But wood enclosures help hold in heat r non reflective and help keep humidity low. The enclosure i built costs around 180 to 300 to buy from a store.
Hope this helps.

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon

That enclosure is absolutely adorable....I'm going to be building one for my little darlin and am so glad I saw this!!!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That enclosure is absolutely adorable....I'm going to be building one for my little darlin and am so glad I saw this!!!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Thank you :) I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with this one! I'd love to see how yours turns out.

Bluebird

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just built my first one also. 36x16x16 . Wanted to start small. Will b doing a 4x2x18 later. I went to lowes and baught a 4x8x3/4 sheet of melamine board. 1 sheet did my whole enclosure. The sheet was 33 bucks and they cut all the pieces for free. I literally went home with a put it together enclosure. Ill give u a list.
Melamine board 4'x8'x3/4---------$33.00
Bok of 1 3/4 drywall screws ----- $7.00
Gorilla wood glue ---------------------- $9.00
Countersink drill bit for screws-- $4.00
Piece of 16"x36"x1/8" glass-------$8.00 (they cut in 1/2 and took 12 in off the top for me. Free)
Plastic slide track (amazon)-------$15.00
Three round vents for back 3in -- $4.00
Thats it. Lights and fixtures r your choice. But wood enclosures help hold in heat r non reflective and help keep humidity low. The enclosure i built costs around 180 to 300 to buy from a store.
Hope this helps.
What would I need to build the 4×2×18?