• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Didn't grow this week + won't poop in enclosure?

EmberTheBeardedDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
I have had Ember for almost 3 months now, and he's (don't know gender yet, but I'm using words "he/him" because that is my guess) approximately 4 months old. For the last week or two he has been driving me crazy because (1) he has started pooping less often (used to be every day, now it's every 2-3 days) and at first I thought he was having impaction issues, but I think it's because he's getting older. (2) Also, Ember pretty much refuses to poop in the enclosure. The only way I can get him to go is if I give him a bath for about 10 minutes, which can be hard sometimes because he doesn't really like baths all that much. But I'd rather force him to take a bath longer than he wants to be than risk a chance of impaction or worse.
(3) One last thing I am worried about is that Ember didn't really grow for the last week or two. I have been keeping track of his growth, weight in grams and length in inches, every week on the same day for the last couple months. On July 28th, he was 6 inches and has grown about 0.25-0.5 inches every week. The first time I weighed him, August 18th, he was 20 grams. On September 29th, Ember measured 10 inches and weighed 41 grams. These values stayed the same the following week on October 6th, and as of October 13th, he weighed 42 grams and measured 10.25 inches. Compared to last week, this is only 1 gram and 0.25 inch growth. Should I be worried??
For context, here is info on enclosure/diet/other info:
  • Dubia roaches usually fed 3 times per day, but sometimes I have to be away for school so minimum 2 times per day. These are dusted with calcium about 4 times/week and with vitamins once per week. I go through about 200 of the 1/4-3/8 inch ones per week. Ember also gets bell peppers and kale, occasionally carrots and other vegetables, once in a while a piece of fruit (but I know it can be bad for teeth, so really not that often). A few weeks ago I did have to feed him crickets because I ran out of roaches before the next shipment came.
  • Enclosure is 55 gallons, there is a 2 foot 10.0 UVB bulb (T5 HO) and ZooMed basking bulb. Basking spot stays between 100-110 F during the day and cool side is 70 F. Now that it's fall, humidity has not gone over 40% and currently is in the 30s. At night temps stay around 65-70 F.
  • He gets baths 3 times a week and last week shed his tail skin. Now it looks like he is going to shed the skin on his legs.
20201001_120923.jpg

Here is a photo from 2 weeks ago

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,
I have had Ember for almost 3 months now, and he's (don't know gender yet, but I'm using words "he/him" because that is my guess) approximately 4 months old. For the last week or two he has been driving me crazy because (1) he has started pooping less often (used to be every day, now it's every 2-3 days) and at first I thought he was having impaction issues, but I think it's because he's getting older. (2) Also, Ember pretty much refuses to poop in the enclosure. The only way I can get him to go is if I give him a bath for about 10 minutes, which can be hard sometimes because he doesn't really like baths all that much. But I'd rather force him to take a bath longer than he wants to be than risk a chance of impaction or worse.
(3) One last thing I am worried about is that Ember didn't really grow for the last week or two. I have been keeping track of his growth, weight in grams and length in inches, every week on the same day for the last couple months. On July 28th, he was 6 inches and has grown about 0.25-0.5 inches every week. The first time I weighed him, August 18th, he was 20 grams. On September 29th, Ember measured 10 inches and weighed 41 grams. These values stayed the same the following week on October 6th, and as of October 13th, he weighed 42 grams and measured 10.25 inches. Compared to last week, this is only 1 gram and 0.25 inch growth. Should I be worried??
For context, here is info on enclosure/diet/other info:
  • Dubia roaches usually fed 3 times per day, but sometimes I have to be away for school so minimum 2 times per day. These are dusted with calcium about 4 times/week and with vitamins once per week. I go through about 200 of the 1/4-3/8 inch ones per week. Ember also gets bell peppers and kale, occasionally carrots and other vegetables, once in a while a piece of fruit (but I know it can be bad for teeth, so really not that often). A few weeks ago I did have to feed him crickets because I ran out of roaches before the next shipment came.
  • Enclosure is 55 gallons, there is a 2 foot 10.0 UVB bulb (T5 HO) and ZooMed basking bulb. Basking spot stays between 100-110 F during the day and cool side is 70 F. Now that it's fall, humidity has not gone over 40% and currently is in the 30s. At night temps stay around 65-70 F.
  • He gets baths 3 times a week and last week shed his tail skin. Now it looks like he is going to shed the skin on his legs.
View attachment 24009
Here is a photo from 2 weeks ago
Dragons grow at their own rate and it sounds like hes got good diet and a good UVB along w/ good basking temps- the temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? The UVB is where in the tank on top of screen or inside the tank? And the screen on the tank is fine mesh or like a wide holed screen -- distance and placement is extremely important

EmberTheBeardedDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dragons grow at their own rate and it sounds like hes got good diet and a good UVB along w/ good basking temps- the temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? The UVB is where in the tank on top of screen or inside the tank? And the screen on the tank is fine mesh or like a wide holed screen -- distance and placement is extremely important
Alright. It is a digital thermometer, yes. The UVB is on the inside of the tank and has a reflector on both sides. It is located right in the middle of the tank between the cool side end and the basking bulb. The holes of the screen are maybe 1/3 of the size of a pencil eraser.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alright. It is a digital thermometer, yes. The UVB is on the inside of the tank and has a reflector on both sides. It is located right in the middle of the tank between the cool side end and the basking bulb. The holes of the screen are maybe 1/3 of the size of a pencil eraser.
So it's inside the tank---- distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor_---- dragons do slow down on pooping when they get older - don't fret he will poop as long as your not feeding insects too big for him-- make sure he's hydrated by either dropping water on his nose or misting him also make sure he's insects are gut loaded carrots are great for hydrating the insects- you can also rinse his greens before serving that is where they get alot of moisture from

EmberTheBeardedDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
So it's inside the tank---- distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor_---- dragons do slow down on pooping when they get older - don't fret he will poop as long as your not feeding insects too big for him-- make sure he's hydrated by either dropping water on his nose or misting him also make sure he's insects are gut loaded carrots are great for hydrating the insects- you can also rinse his greens before serving that is where they get alot of moisture from
Okay thank you. Yes I feed the dubias carrots, it's the only thing they really love to eat.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds like everything thing is good. Like Sadie said good diet, uvb, temp and all the important stuff the pooping is not something to worry about. You just potty trained him to go in a bath I did that with my beardie and sadly he will not go at all unless he’s in a bath. There was one time sadly he went 4 days without pooping so I can see if he would go in his tank, which of course didn’t work. I don’t know if you can unpotty train them, I’ve yet to figure out a way. Hope I was able to help and he is such a cutie. Loves his face!!!

EmberTheBeardedDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like everything thing is good. Like Sadie said good diet, uvb, temp and all the important stuff the pooping is not something to worry about. You just potty trained him to go in a bath I did that with my beardie and sadly he will not go at all unless he’s in a bath. There was one time sadly he went 4 days without pooping so I can see if he would go in his tank, which of course didn’t work. I don’t know if you can unpotty train them, I’ve yet to figure out a way. Hope I was able to help and he is such a cutie. Loves his face!!!
Yes, I suppose that maybe now I have taught him that he goes to the bathroom in a bath, I hadn't really thought of it that way. Thanks I am a bit partial but I think he is cute too lol.

winall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mine only goes in his bath and I like that because it is easier to get rid of the waste (I pour it into the toilet) and it keeps his tank clean. I bathe him every other day. He hates it when I put him into his bath but my dogs hate it when I bathe them but feel so much better afterwards :) so I ignore the protest.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine only goes in his bath and I like that because it is easier to get rid of the waste (I pour it into the toilet) and it keeps his tank clean. I bathe him every other day. He hates it when I put him into his bath but my dogs hate it when I bathe them but feel so much better afterwards :) so I ignore the protest.
Too much bathing will dry their scales out I recommend once per week and that's if they are drinking from the bath

winall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Too much bathing will dry their scales out I recommend once per week and that's if they are drinking from the bath
I disagree. From several different sources: This two to three times per week minimum also helps to keep their skin healthy. This seems to be the minimum effective dose when it comes to keeping their scaly skin supple.
Bathing can help the overall hygiene of your bearded dragon by removing any old skin and scales. Bathing also helps to clean and remove any bacteria and germs build up on the feet and claws, and it can also by aid shedding.
as long as your bearded dragon doesn’t hate baths and become super agitated and stressed out in them, feel free to bathe them 2-3 times a week if your schedule permits or whenever one of the reasons above comes into play.