• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did I fall for the “pet shop story” Whats the sex?

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
I am posting this here because it looks like the sexing questions are in this section.

We have been planning a bearded dragon pet for a while now, and I thought I had thoroughly researched all eventualities.

We finalized our supplies and went to the local shop. The intention was to get a sub-adult either male or female.

The shop had these two in an enclosure and they were basking together one on top of the other.

The story was, an apartment landlord found them in an abandoned unit together.

They look healthy with all toes intact, and strong jawlines.

I was told they are both female and could be housed together.

In my research I hadn’t planned on needing to determine the sex, and buying two dragons.

Are these both female?

The smaller one has what looks to be very old tail damage, but neither has any “battle damage”

I am worried that the pleasantries could end.

First off can y”all determine the sex of each and what is the consensus of keeping two together?

Small one..

20180601_210907.jpg

Tail damage..

AC03_F392-_C31_E-4_ECD-8_D6_D-49_C897_B5_CAC0.jpg

The bigger one...

20180601_210856.jpg

Thanks!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
cant tell on the top pic, not enough definition. The bottom pic sure looks male though. Regardless of the sex of the small one you will have problems eventually, time to consider giving each its own space maybe

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks, I was fairly certain the larger was male, not sure on the smaller one. In my uneducated opinion I think it may be male also.

I dont think we have the space for two right now so somI think the smaller one may have to go back.

I just got them yesterday.

Maybe the smaller one is not mature enough to be a threat, hence the ability to get along.

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, for sure the bigger one is male.

Here is a lighted pic of the smaller one, I'm leaning toward male too.

We decided the smaller one is going back, we hate to, but the health of both animals is too important.

IMG_3143.jpg

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
Ok little one was returned:(, just kind of an “ohh yeah, its male”....

Bought a timer and some more mealworms....:bd:

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok, alls good then. Just a tip, mealworms arent a very good food for beardies, they have a very hard chitinous shell which they find hard to digest and are very fatty. Worms of any kind should be fed as a treat only once or twice a week. Good staple bugs that can be fed daily include Dubias and Crickets, which can be gut loaded for extra nutrition. They can be ordered online quite easily.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum.. In the pictures it's hard to tell but yes the flashlighted one is male. . you should do this with the one you kept to verify if it's male or not.
Under several of our comments you will find links if you click on the one that has info for 1st timers that will give you a ton of info on care for these critters that we've put together. This info is also in the general care section at the top..

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
The one I kept was easy to determine it was male, and the flashlight confirmed it.

We gave him a bath last night, and I’m getting ready to make him his salad. I think he prefers Ceasar to Ranch.

The info in the links is extremely helpful.

20180603_115227.jpg

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
I do have to say I like the bi-weekly bath over keeping a water dish.

He does like to pick the insects out of his salad and begrudgingly eat the rest afterward.

7671_C323-_C831-43_F5-_BEA1-2105397_C6_AA6.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
OMG this story sounds so familiar. It didn't happen to be a Petco in Chicago did it? LOL! I went to Petco 3 years ago and they had a dragon there that was for adoption. They said she was a boy and they named her Paco. They said she was abandoned in an apartment and the landlord brought her to them. I was a sucker and she came home with me. She was very thin and very stinky and she was missing part of her tail. After a few weeks, I plumped her up and she is the sweetest girl ever considering what she went through.

Just another tip. You want to use green leafy veggies like dandelion greens, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens. Romaine lettuce or any of the things called "lettuce" have no nutritional value.

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
This was actually one of the best private pet stores in these parts, but they are fallable.

He came to us in very good shape and very healthy

Romaine is the bottom of the barrel lettuce around our house, the greener the better.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, alls good then. Just a tip, mealworms arent a very good food for beardies, they have a very hard chitinous shell which they find hard to digest and are very fatty. Worms of any kind should be fed as a treat only once or twice a week. Good staple bugs that can be fed daily include Dubias and Crickets, which can be gut loaded for extra nutrition. They can be ordered online quite easily.
Superworms can be staple as far as I know.
You know differently? I know mealworms NOT....

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
A couple tips that helped me:

I'd skip the water bowl altogether and do the baths....they get most water needed from the food anyway. But another great tip of the bath especially if you go bi-weekly, you may notice that they will poop in the bath....they seem to be pretty clean guys and don't want to poop on their house for lack of better words.....so an added bonus.

Also.....put just the veggies in only. They will learn to eat them that way easier....they won't starve themselves

Good luck

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Superworms can be staple as far as I know.
You know differently? I know mealworms NOT....

Superworms are high in fat and because they are so addicting we tend to feed to much to them which can cause fatty liver disease. Superworms should be limited to a couple a few times a week.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
I feed mainly veggies with a few supers every other day....he loves crickets.
Hmmmmm, thanks for the input. I've seen many people use supers as a staple...responsible owners too....

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
I have noticed his color the past couple weeks has improved. There is more definition to the darks and the orange is coming out better.
Bi weekly baths and a dubia every day but Sunday.