• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dex not eating this morning

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Last night about an hour before lights out Dex ate 2 crickets and 2 roaches before he lost interest. When I checked on him before we went to bed he was stretched out in his favorite resting spot asleep. For the last couple of days he's been waiting for his bugs near the front doors of his cage. Per usual I turned on his lights then went and made my coffee. Finished a cup and then went to see if he was awake enough for breakfast. He wasn't in his usual spot, but sitting on top of his log. I got his first cricket ready and dumped it in his tank, but he didn't jump down to catch it. He eyed it for a minute, so he saw it, but didn't seem to want it. I tried next with a tiny roach, same results. I tried to entice by holding them in my fingers. He watched them, but didn't try to eat them. I see 2 little tiny poops that weren't there last night when I turned off his lights at 7 and they look normal: brown and white and fairly solid. I don't think he's impacted. His temperatures are reading fine and haven't changed. He's not listless. Aside from not eating he's acting normal. He's alert and reacting to me talking. He's so young and still growing that his belly even after he eats doesn't look fat enough, I think. Looking at his belly right now he doesn't look full. I'm panicking because I feel he can't afford not to eat he's so tiny. I'm going to try again in a little bit, but wasn't sure if this was normal. Should I be concerned? Will they suddenly not want to eat for a bit?

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
Sometimes my lizards will only eat a tiny bit/not eat at all for a day. I think as long as the temps are fine and he isn’t acting lethargic and his poop is healthy you ar ok. Sometimes they just aren’t as hungry! Maybe he will eat some later. You seem like a good parent for being so attentive and noticing the little things about your guy!!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sometimes my lizards will only eat a tiny bit/not eat at all for a day. I think as long as the temps are fine and he isn’t acting lethargic and his poop is healthy you ar ok. Sometimes they just aren’t as hungry! Maybe he will eat some later. You seem like a good parent for being so attentive and noticing the little things about your guy!!
Phew! Thanks for letting me know your babies sometimes do this. Makes me feel a little better. So out of character for him now that we've established a routine. Course we've only been together a little over a week. lol I do hope he eats soon. He needs to fatten up. lol. And, maybe I might be too attentive . . . I think hubby is getting jealous of him. hahahaha I'm trying really hard. I want him to grow up to be a happy, healthy beardy.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I tried again and he did finally eat 1 cricket. That's it. Gahhh! He's still alert and listening to me talk, but once he ate that cricket he was back to his log spot. You can see by the second pic that his belly doesn't look full, though. Hoping he's just in a mood and he'll come out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 28

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Update: Well we are up to him getting 2 small roaches into his belly along with that cricket. Not nearly enough. :( Hes licked some water from the dropper per usual. He's still acting normal other than not eating much. I've got an eagle on eye on him, but I think he's getting a lil nervous with my constant hovering. lol I'm backing off for a bit and doing a grocery run. Crossing fingers he'll eat some more when I get back and this isn't a start to a side effect cause by too much humidity those 3 rainy days I had trouble. I'm just a teeny bit worried about that.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Update: Dex ate his normal meal last evening. Course he's so little and his belly so small he only manages about 3-4 tiny crickets and maybe 1-2 roaches before he's done. lol Made my heart happy. :)

On a bad note, Jango (our cat) jumped up on the stand where I keep the bug containers this morning. Knocked his cricket container onto the floor. Apparently I didn't have the lid snapped down tight. Tiny crickets everywhere. Holy moly! Gathered what I could, but I'm very low now. Gahhh! Ozzy, our dog ate some of them while I was frantically gathering. Had to shoo him away. It being 4th of July weekend, I don't think the pet stores are open. I'm waiting for the opening time of the one I normally use to see if they are so I can make a quick trip over. If not might have to travel 45 minutes to another (that is if they are even open). Stressing. If not, I do have some roaches and hoping I can eek by until Monday with them, what crickets I recaptured, and maybe a few worms. He's still not eating veges yet even though I'm still trying a few times a day to entice. Moved the containers to a more secure location. I know I have tiny escapees in my house still. Gahhh! Freakin' cat. Good thing I love him. lol

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Update: Dex ate his normal meal last evening. Course he's so little and his belly so small he only manages about 3-4 tiny crickets and maybe 1-2 roaches before he's done. lol Made my heart happy. :)

On a bad note, Jango (our cat) jumped up on the stand where I keep the bug containers this morning. Knocked his cricket container onto the floor. Apparently I didn't have the lid snapped down tight. Tiny crickets everywhere. Holy moly! Gathered what I could, but I'm very low now. Gahhh! Ozzy, our dog ate some of them while I was frantically gathering. Had to shoo him away. It being 4th of July weekend, I don't think the pet stores are open. I'm waiting for the opening time of the one I normally use to see if they are so I can make a quick trip over. If not might have to travel 45 minutes to another (that is if they are even open). Stressing. If not, I do have some roaches and hoping I can eek by until Monday with them, what crickets I recaptured, and maybe a few worms. He's still not eating veges yet even though I'm still trying a few times a day to entice. Moved the containers to a more secure location. I know I have tiny escapees in my house still. Gahhh! Freakin' cat. Good thing I love him. lol

So happy he got is appetite back. It’s can be so stressful when they’re that small and not eating. If anything sometimes when beardies don’t eat they could be thirsty so you can always try and give him a small bath like where the water is just above his feet so you don’t have to worry about him drowning. Or you can slowly drip some droplets near his mouth and see if he tries to drink. Also those pictures are so cute I’m in love

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks, I think he's adorable. :) It is stressful. But boy is his appetite back. My goodness! He's a little piggy today. lol Must be going through a growth spurt. He does drink a few sips a day for a dropper. I have a vege liquid I create every morning with various ones as he's not eating his veges. He's had two baths, so far. Can't say he liked either of them. lol He just spread eagle on his tippy toes and looked at me to get him out. The water was only up to his ankles. hahahaha Good news is I went and got him some baby food. Made sure I got the organic kind with no additives. He actually ate some squash and mixed veges today.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks, I think he's adorable. :) It is stressful. But boy is his appetite back. My goodness! He's a little piggy today. lol Must be going through a growth spurt. He does drink a few sips a day for a dropper. I have a vege liquid I create every morning with various ones as he's not eating his veges. He's had two baths, so far. Can't say he liked either of them. lol He just spread eagle on his tippy toes and looked at me to get him out. The water was only up to his ankles. hahahaha Good news is I went and got him some baby food. Made sure I got the organic kind with no additives. He actually ate some squash and mixed veges today.

Ya they’re never a fan of baths at that age. I swear they’re like spoiled toddlers. Usually within a couple of minutes they calm down and actually like the bath. I think it depends on the beardie. But for his appetite I guess he wasn’t hungry that day.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Last night about an hour before lights out Dex ate 2 crickets and 2 roaches before he lost interest. When I checked on him before we went to bed he was stretched out in his favorite resting spot asleep. For the last couple of days he's been waiting for his bugs near the front doors of his cage. Per usual I turned on his lights then went and made my coffee. Finished a cup and then went to see if he was awake enough for breakfast. He wasn't in his usual spot, but sitting on top of his log. I got his first cricket ready and dumped it in his tank, but he didn't jump down to catch it. He eyed it for a minute, so he saw it, but didn't seem to want it. I tried next with a tiny roach, same results. I tried to entice by holding them in my fingers. He watched them, but didn't try to eat them. I see 2 little tiny poops that weren't there last night when I turned off his lights at 7 and they look normal: brown and white and fairly solid. I don't think he's impacted. His temperatures are reading fine and haven't changed. He's not listless. Aside from not eating he's acting normal. He's alert and reacting to me talking. He's so young and still growing that his belly even after he eats doesn't look fat enough, I think. Looking at his belly right now he doesn't look full. I'm panicking because I feel he can't afford not to eat he's so tiny. I'm going to try again in a little bit, but wasn't sure if this was normal. Should I be concerned? Will they suddenly not want to eat for a bit?
Hi; Yoir Beardie sounds like he’s weak and has or is getting MBD!!! First of all NO coiled or colored heat bulbs. Buy the ZooMed basking heat lamp and for UVb he needs the Reptisun 10.0 T5 only. He needs light and bright and uvb/heat 10-12 Hours a day. Reptisun long bulb goes in the back of the tank and the heat lamp to the front in his basking area and he needs a platform and hard fake brand or tree to sit on. He needs 80-100 baby crickets a day and u can only feed him after one hour of basking. They need to be warm/correct body temp before they can eat. And crickets and Dubias only and a fresh bowl of veggies one hour after basking. Veggies means dandelions, mustard/collard greens, endives, yellow sqauash, zucchini, butternut squash, snap peas and green beans 2-3 greens and 2-3 veggies mixed and diced super small so he can eat on a low dish so he can reach it. Shake it in front of him and or hand feed them place it on the cold sided the tank always and lift him and place him in front of it. Then dust the crickets in calcium so th y are lightly powdered white 5 times a week. When he’s 2yeras old u can add super worms and Hornworms alongside crickets and Dubias they need lots And lots of protein at this age and uvb/heat forever!!!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Also after the last feeding they need heat and uvb for 2hours that’s how they digest their food. U cannot turn off the lights after feeding them unless 2hoirs has passed and try to keep the same feeding times of able everyday.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi; Yoir Beardie sounds like he’s weak and has or is getting MBD!!! First of all NO coiled or colored heat bulbs. Buy the ZooMed basking heat lamp and for UVb he needs the Reptisun 10.0 T5 only. He needs light and bright and uvb/heat 10-12 Hours a day. Reptisun long bulb goes in the back of the tank and the heat lamp to the front in his basking area and he needs a platform and hard fake brand or tree to sit on. He needs 80-100 baby crickets a day and u can only feed him after one hour of basking. They need to be warm/correct body temp before they can eat. And crickets and Dubias only and a fresh bowl of veggies one hour after basking. Veggies means dandelions, mustard/collard greens, endives, yellow sqauash, zucchini, butternut squash, snap peas and green beans 2-3 greens and 2-3 veggies mixed and diced super small so he can eat on a low dish so he can reach it. Shake it in front of him and or hand feed them place it on the cold sided the tank always and lift him and place him in front of it. Then dust the crickets in calcium so th y are lightly powdered white 5 times a week. When he’s 2yeras old u can add super worms and Hornworms alongside crickets and Dubias they need lots And lots of protein at this age and uvb/heat forever!!!
He isn't weak or doesn't have and isn't getting MBD. I don't have coiled or colored heat bulbs. He has a accurate light and uvb. He does have a flat basking rock, log, and other things to climb and sit on. I turn off all lights at night. I have his lights on for correct amount of time. His temperatures are at the correct temperatures. I know what to feed him. If I'm not sure, I contact my vet or ask here. I know how to feed him and how often. He does receive calcium daily as well as vitamins. I was asking because it was abnormal for him and I wanted to make sure it was normal that they may not eat much some days. Others reassured me this may happen. If I was greatly concerned I would have immediately contact my vet. Since this post his appetite went back up. Others were correct in stating he just wasn't as hungry that day.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He isn't weak or doesn't have and isn't getting MBD. I don't have coiled or colored heat bulbs. He has a accurate light and uvb. He does have a flat basking rock, log, and other things to climb and sit on. I turn off all lights at night. I have his lights on for correct amount of time. His temperatures are at the correct temperatures. I know what to feed him. If I'm not sure, I contact my vet or ask here. I know how to feed him and how often. He does receive calcium daily as well as vitamins. I was asking because it was abnormal for him and I wanted to make sure it was normal that they may not eat much some days. Others reassured me this may happen. If I was greatly concerned I would have immediately contact my vet. Since this post his appetite went back up. Others were correct in stating he just wasn't as hungry that day.
Additionally, it might be possible he's getting ready to shed. It sounds like about that time. Please don't scare people so badly and don't automatically assume that we don't know basic care. If we didn't we would certainly ask if unsure.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Do you have Sand as the substrate? Remove it immediately if so it impacts them and they ingest it. The best flooring is a smooth shelf liner beige or white in color not balck u can get it in the kitchen or shelf lining department at target or wallmart. It’s so soft padded and easy to clean and safe for the dragons and only $10. Also having the attitude of I know what to feed him wtc is silly. I’m trying to help u; if u don’t feed him staple greens and veggies and crickets and Dubias u will hurt him and training him when he’s little to eat greens and veggies mixed is key. Yellow squash, snap peas, butternut squash dandelions, collard greens and. Mustard greens. U can do some zucchini and green beans also. Lettice is worthless and serves for water intake but is not recommended and kale is once in a while it’s not good they need greens and veggies and lots of protein for heir bones and crickets needs to be alive and moving not dead.

QueenElizardbethII

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is possible he might be trying to brumate? Sort of like reptile hibernation.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Do you have Sand as the substrate? Remove it immediately if so it impacts them and they ingest it. The best flooring is a smooth shelf liner beige or white in color not balck u can get it in the kitchen or shelf lining department at target or wallmart. It’s so soft padded and easy to clean and safe for the dragons and only $10. Also having the attitude of I know what to feed him wtc is silly. I’m trying to help u; if u don’t feed him staple greens and veggies and crickets and Dubias u will hurt him and training him when he’s little to eat greens and veggies mixed is key. Yellow squash, snap peas, butternut squash dandelions, collard greens and. Mustard greens. U can do some zucchini and green beans also. Lettice is worthless and serves for water intake but is not recommended and kale is once in a while it’s not good they need greens and veggies and lots of protein for heir bones and crickets needs to be alive and moving not dead.
I don't have sand as a substrate. He's not impacted as he's pooing regularly and it's normal. Knowing what to feed him is not silly. I've read about and asked a lot of questions about feed. He is eating dubias and crickets daily. No they are not bigger than the space between his eyes. I do offer him mixed veges every day. I do entice in various ways several times a day, as well as put fresh salad in his tank for him to eat if he wants. It is a mixture, and yes, as per recommendations I've already asked for an received, I do mix them up with with appropriate and allowable veges and a small amount of fruit. NO lettuce of any kind is included in his daily greens. I blend it in a food processor to make sure the bits are small enough for him. Per vets suggestion and because he's not eating the offered fresh veges yet, I give him organic (no additives) baby food in a bunch of different vege varities (yes, I swap them up) which he will eat. So far, he likes the squash and peas the best. He gets calcium and mineral supplements daily. His bugs are also alive. I have never thought of trying to feed him dead ones. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it, but your bedside manner (so to speak) comes across as condescending. Also, your suggestion that he was weak and has or is getting MBD wasn't even close to the concern I had the day I made this post.

QueenElizardbethII

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't have sand as a substrate. He's not impacted as he's pooing regularly and it's normal. Knowing what to feed him is not silly. I've read about and asked a lot of questions about feed. He is eating dubias and crickets daily. No they are not bigger than the space between his eyes. I do offer him mixed veges every day. I do entice in various ways several times a day, as well as put fresh salad in his tank for him to eat if he wants. It is a mixture, and yes, as per recommendations I've already asked for an received, I do mix them up with with appropriate and allowable veges and a small amount of fruit. NO lettuce of any kind is included in his daily greens. I blend it in a food processor to make sure the bits are small enough for him. Per vets suggestion and because he's not eating the offered fresh veges yet, I give him organic (no additives) baby food in a bunch of different vege varities (yes, I swap them up) which he will eat. So far, he likes the squash and peas the best. He gets calcium and mineral supplements daily. His bugs are also alive. I have never thought of trying to feed him dead ones. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it, but your bedside manner (so to speak) comes across as condescending. Also, your suggestion that he was weak and has or is getting MBD wasn't even close to the concern I had the day I made this post.
try giving him bugs only 2-3 times a week. They’re too fattening if you feed them everyday. Too much fat can cause their liver to turn into fat and stop functioning all together. I’m not saying this is the issue, but just a little side advice :) it will also get him to eat greens more.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm not sure. He's only about 2 months old. At what age will they start brumating? He's definitely active, but still tends to spend a bit more time on his shady side these past few days then he normally does. I'm constantly checking his temps thinking that his basking side is too hot, but it's fairly steady and reads between 102-104 F in his basking area throughout the day. I had someone suggest on another post that he might be heading toward a shed and this might be why his appetite has been fluxing more this past week. Seems about the right timing, but so far, I'm not seeing any indication of a shed. I'm watching for it. He goes through several days where he is pretty much a piggy. Then he'll have a day where he only wants 2 crickets or 2 roaches at each feeding. He's pooing normally and about twice a day even on the days his appetite is lower. What should I watch for if he's thinking about brumating?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
try giving him bugs only 2-3 times a week. They’re too fattening if you feed them everyday. Too much fat can cause their liver to turn into fat and stop functioning all together. I’m not saying this is the issue, but just a little side advice :) it will also get him to eat greens more.
Do you mean the dubia? Thanks didn't realize that they were as fattening. I thought it was the worms I had to stay away from right now. He hasn't had any interest in worms yet though I tried once to put two teeny ones on his salad to see if he'd eat it. Nope he eyed them, but didn't want. His normal daily quantity intake preference is still crickets. Phew! I think it's because they are more fun to catch. lol

QueenElizardbethII

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm not sure. He's only about 2 months old. At what age will they start brumating? He's definitely active, but still tends to spend a bit more time on his shady side these past few days then he normally does. I'm constantly checking his temps thinking that his basking side is too hot, but it's fairly steady and reads between 102-104 F in his basking area throughout the day. I had someone suggest on another post that he might be heading toward a shed and this might be why his appetite has been fluxing more this past week. Seems about the right timing, but so far, I'm not seeing any indication of a shed. I'm watching for it. He goes through several days where he is pretty much a piggy. Then he'll have a day where he only wants 2 crickets or 2 roaches at each feeding. He's pooing normally and about twice a day even on the days his appetite is lower. What should I watch for if he's thinking about brumating?
They can start brumating at any age really. It is just a natural instinct for them. You can “stop” him from brumating by simply giving him a warm bath- he might drink some water, then have a bit of an appetite, or he will simply stay a bit sleepy (I recommend keeping your hand under his chin if he is sleepy-in the tub) and when you put him back in his enclosure he might go back to the shady spot and go back to “sleep”. I say sleep in quotes because they don’t really sleep like a mammal would during hibernation. They can still wake up as they please and drink water but typically for brumating they will avoid food. They will do this because they brumate in the cooler side of the tank sometimes and they need heat for digestion. So it is instinctual for him to know if he eats, the food will possibly rot in his belly. If you are okay with him brumating, just be sure he doesn’t have any excessive amounts of parasites (more than the normal amount they have in their intestines). Sometimes brumating can last a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months. My dragon recently brumated and she’s back to her normal self again. It was about 3 weeks she was in brumation.