• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dex ate a plastic bb. Stressing!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I had Dex out yesterday and was sitting on the floor with him while he explored. I have one particular chair in my living room that he likes to go under and come out the other side . . . part of his regular exploring routine once he climbs from my lap.

The day before my son (brat that he is) was shooting of one of his air guns at the chair and left all these little plastic orange bbs around. (Yes I gave him absolutely heck and took it away as he knows he’s forbidden to shoot it in the house). Anyway, I thought I got them all but danged if Dex didn’t come out from under that chair and drop one from his mouth. Instant panic! I immediately moved him to the middle of the floor and pulled the chair out. Sure enough I saw a few I missed. As I’m frantically picking them up, Dex (who is in some way related to Flash) flew over and ate one before I could pick them all up. I kid you not. I saw it. Holy cripes!

What should I do? I’ve been constantly watching him. He's acting normally and seems fine. Should I wait to see if he poops it out? Should I call my vet? He’s getting his bath this morning and I’m going to look for it in his poo as he tends to poop during his bath. I’m so upset right now! The boy is feeling the wrath of mum that’s for sure! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Wait until after his bath and check his poop for the bb. Give him plenty of time to bask and some belly massages. If it's small enough it should pass, but if you notice any signs of impaction you'll need to call your vet.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wait until after his bath and check his poop for the bb. Give him plenty of time to bask and some belly massages. If it's small enough it should pass, but if you notice any signs of impaction you'll need to call your vet.
Thanks Hooman! He pooped during his bath, but I didn't see any bb. Not sure if that means it hasn't worked its way down through his system or not. He had no trouble pooing and other than not finding the bb it looked normal. I massaged his belly a little while he was soaking and me touching his belly didn't seem to bother him. I just checked on him and he's laying on his basking rock. He's alert and still acting normal. He ate his breakfast fine. Plan on keeping an eye on him until it passes and if he looks distressed in any way I'm contacting the vet. Sheesh, this is all most as bad as waiting for that child who just swallowed a penny to poop it out. Yeah, my daughter did that once. Sigh.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just checked on him again and the lil bugger wants out. Talked to him for a bit and he still seems fine other than being a little mad that I won't let him out. lol
IMG_1226.JPG

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Hooman! He pooped during his bath, but I didn't see any bb. Not sure if that means it hasn't worked its way down through his system or not. He had no trouble pooing and other than not finding the bb it looked normal. I massaged his belly a little while he was soaking and me touching his belly didn't seem to bother him. I just checked on him and he's laying on his basking rock. He's alert and still acting normal. He ate his breakfast fine. Plan on keeping an eye on him until it passes and if he looks distressed in any way I'm contacting the vet. Sheesh, this is all most as bad as waiting for that child who just swallowed a penny to poop it out. Yeah, my daughter did that once. Sigh.
He should be fine, it may take some time, I recommend giving him anything with a high water content, watermelon, iceberg lettuce (iceberg lettuce is only good for its water its not healthy)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He should be fine, it may take some time, I recommend giving him anything with a high water content, watermelon, iceberg lettuce (iceberg lettuce is only good for its water its not healthy)
Thanks Skybug! I'll have to pick up some watermelon or iceberg lettuce and try it. Normally I wouldn't even think about giving him any lettuce, but under the circumstances it shouldn't hurt to give him a little to help that bb along. lol He's well-hydrated otherwise, but no telling what that bb is doing. Gah!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just checked on him again and the lil bugger wants out. Talked to him for a bit and he still seems fine other than being a little mad that I won't let him out. lol
View attachment 25290
Another day begins. I checked Dex this morning after his lights came on and he still seems fine. I'm getting ready to get his breakfast together. Crossing fingers today is the day that pesky bb appears so I can stop stressing about it.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Another day begins. I checked Dex this morning after his lights came on and he still seems fine. I'm getting ready to get his breakfast together. Crossing fingers today is the day that pesky bb appears so I can stop stressing about it.
I hope ur guys poops it out!!! Let us know

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I hope ur guys poops it out!!! Let us know
Thanks, Skybug. He hid in his hide last night and didn't come out this morning when his lights came on. I had to go in after him when I got his breakfast ready and he actually puffed up and opened his mouth at me. That's not a good sign. :( Poor guy! So far he hasn't touched his morning salad and isn't interested in any bugs. Usually by now he's eating and is waiting at the door to get out and explore. I'm getting a bath ready for him. Hoping I can help by rubbing his tummy. If he'd just poo it out I think he'll feel better. If nothing in his poo, then I'm making a vet appointment. I'm not waiting any longer.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, Skybug. He hid in his hide last night and didn't come out this morning when his lights came on. I had to go in after him when I got his breakfast ready and he actually puffed up and opened his mouth at me. That's not a good sign. :( Poor guy! So far he hasn't touched his morning salad and isn't interested in any bugs. Usually by now he's eating and is waiting at the door to get out and explore. I'm getting a bath ready for him. Hoping I can help by rubbing his tummy. If he'd just poo it out I think he'll feel better. If nothing in his poo, then I'm making a vet appointment. I'm not waiting any longer.
Thats a good call to make, poor baby , dont push to hard on his tummy but really feel around , by any chance do you have the bbs packaging? Maybe you can look up what they make their bbs out of, it might put ur mind at ease Cause with how much greens he’s getting it should of surfaced I would think?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thats a good call to make, poor baby , dont push to hard on his tummy but really feel around , by any chance do you have the bbs packaging? Maybe you can look up what they make their bbs out of, it might put ur mind at ease Cause with how much greens he’s getting it should of surfaced I would think?
Great news! He pooed out the bb during his bath that morning. I was never so happy to see his poop as I was then. lol He's feeling much better and seems back to his happy self. Phew! Did a thorough vaccuming right after his bath, too (including under the couch and chairs).

IMG_1227.JPG