• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom vivarium or store bought?

Liv

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I'm new on here and a new bearded dragon owner. I adopted Spyro 3 months ago from another owner and he's about 2 1/2 years old. His tank came with very few things: wood, a hide and one decoration. It's also a 40 gallon. I've fixed it up and he seemed to be a lot happier, but he's gotten kind of lethargic and always wants out. He gets a lot of run around time and once he gets out, he's full of energy. He eats great, even though he's very picky with his veggies and he poops fine. I read that an adult bearded dragon needs a 55-75 gallon tank and I think the small space is stressing him out. Has anyone on here made a custom viv? Or should I just go with a store bought? My boyfriend's dad has a huge workshop and whatnot, but if it's too much and takes too long, might be better off buying. I don't want to keep him in there for much longer. I know I'd go crazy in a tiny box

Attachments

• 1569027119350907624730875041066.jpg
    1569027119350907624730875041066.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 33

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Is he getting enough UVB, like from a good tube bulb, along with correct temps? Those things are vital, regardless of tank size. A 40-gal is bare minimum for an adult, so yes, a bigger enclosure will be great. I'd say whether it's worth building really comes down to your budget and how handy you (or a friend) are.

Liv

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just replaced the UVB. Reptisun 10.0. He's also got a 150W zoomed repti basking spot lamp on his sunny side along with a heat emitter. I live in Washington and it's starting to get pretty cold out so I keep it on at night. His sunny side is currently 101.3 F and cool side is 82.4 F. How much does it usually cost to build?
Is he getting enough UVB, like from a good tube bulb, along with correct temps? Those things are vital, regardless of tank size. A 40-gal is bare minimum for an adult, so yes, a bigger enclosure will be great. I'd say whether it's worth building really comes down to your budget and how handy you (or a friend) are.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I just replaced the UVB. Reptisun 10.0. He's also got a 150W zoomed repti basking spot lamp on his sunny side along with a heat emitter. I live in Washington and it's starting to get pretty cold out so I keep it on at night. His sunny side is currently 101.3 F and cool side is 82.4 F. How much does it usually cost to build?
Too many variables involved to guess that, and I've never built my own. :0)
I just bought a 4x2x2 one with pvc panels (pvc is a relatively new option - they also have bamboo panels - both have the same look, but I prefer the pvc for a little more moisture-resistance), along with the basic stand from Zen Habitats, and I'm very pleased with it. It was easy to assemble, and my beardie also seems pleased. The stand is $89, I was able to catch the enclosure at $329, but the regular price is $389 for the pvc. The bamboo wood one is $329. They look exactly the same aesthetically.

Liv

Bearded Dragon Egg
The Reptisun 10.0 you didnt say if it was a coil or a tube? If its a coil take it back they are bad for your dragon --- you can check out the DIY board on this website www.beardeddragon.org -- you can get lots of ideas on how to build you own but please ask questions about building one - I recommend no permanent basking spots if you do build one -- go check out that site and go from there - I dont know if they are any cheaper to build them --- I have bought 2 Zen Habitats for $329 - they are very nice enclosures and are 120 gallon tanks --- here is the website -- www.zenhabiat.com
Noop. It's a long tube. Wrong address, but I found it. They look great, but does it matter what material they use?

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
I also have a zen habitat, I love it, great size, easy to move if needed, not to expensive. Im not sure how much the materials would cost to build one but along with the labor Id say the zen habitat would be the best way to go IMO