• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cruel and Inhumane!

XxB4DT34M4T3xX

Hatchling Dragon
Today I went to Petco to pick up my beardie, Kanunu some nummy food. I came across a terribly and clearly injured and malnourished Bearded Dragon. This poor thing looks like it was to be an accordion on display. The poor baby's spine is completely out of line, their tail was kinked in multiple places like the bones were broken and healed improperly. She was able to move but barely, when she tried to walk forward her left front leg would get stuck on her back left leg because of how contorted her spine was, I did however noticed she had function of all legs, luckily. It didn't look like she was eating very much since she was very skinny and didn't have that cute round belly as they all do.
This isn't something that happens over night. When we called the manager of REPTILES!!! over she said she hadn't even noticed what was wrong....... When all I did was walk pasted the tank on the way to get food and caught this abnormal sight with the corner of my eye.
It saddens me to see how terrible some employees are at pet stores... I'm not jumping to conclusions either, this wasn't the only problem I saw, there was a more than CLEARLY dead chameleon, it was dead for so long it's body was nothing but skin flakes and bone, pure white, dead, right in the front of the tank. How do they not notice? Don't they clean the tanks? Feed the animals? Someone would have to notice eventually!

The manager said now that she knew something was wrong, she would have to box him up and send him to the animal hospital to see if he can be treated or put down. I know this cannot be treated at any normal animal hospital. I told the manager I wanted the dragon, she said they are required to send the dragon to a hospital, so I gave them my information and told them to call me with all information because I am going to get this dragon. I work for an Animal Chiropractor, we may not be able to completely fix this little dragon but we can surly help her and give her a happy life filled with love.
I am not sure if this is a birth defect and I'm over reacting, but this to me clearly looks like it was injured in an accident of some sort.
Please give me your thoughts on what could have happened to this little dragon, or if its a common disability/ birth defect.
Thank you!

Zaiden07

Juvenile Dragon
I hope their actions don't deter you from other pet stores. Petco is just horrible and they really don't care about their animals. This beardie should have been IMMEDIATELY taken to the Vet, no ifs ands or buts, and if brought back, placed in a safe and hospital clean room where he could be cared for and healed in private. There is NO WAY that someone wouldn't have noticed when the animal was received, in my store when we receive a reptile we immediately soak them in warm water, feed them and put them in their new enclosures. And with our beardies, we take them out and bath them 3x per day and make sure they eat. If there is something wrong, we tell our manager and place them in the med room. So there is no excuse for that, that is straight animal abuse and they should be shut down. It's sad that it's not just one petco that acts likes this, it's all of them. One of my customers was complaining about Petco today. My Chameleon was found at Petco by her previous owner, no food, no branches, no water, she was thin and pregnant.
I doubt that they'll take the animal to the Vet, if you want to put in the time and money, I would get it away from them asap.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

XxB4DT34M4T3xX

Hatchling Dragon
I hope their actions don't deter you from other pet stores. Petco is just horrible and they really don't care about their animals. This beardie should have been IMMEDIATELY taken to the Vet, no ifs ands or buts, and if brought back, placed in a safe and hospital clean room where he could be cared for and healed in private. There is NO WAY that someone wouldn't have noticed when the animal was received, in my store when we receive a reptile we immediately soak them in warm water, feed them and put them in their new enclosures. And with our beardies, we take them out and bath them 3x per day and make sure they eat. If there is something wrong, we tell our manager and place them in the med room. So there is no excuse for that, that is straight animal abuse and they should be shut down. It's sad that it's not just one petco that acts likes this, it's all of them. One of my customers was complaining about Petco today. My Chameleon was found at Petco by her previous owner, no food, no branches, no water, she was thin and pregnant.
I doubt that they'll take the animal to the Vet, if you want to put in the time and money, I would get it away from them asap.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
I definitely know it isn't all pet stores, there are great pet stores out there that truly care about animals. The chain pet stores who hire anyone who can press buttons on a cash register are what terrifies me for the poor animals sent to them. I am going to put the money and time into getting that poor dragon out of that place.
I am so happy to hear how well you and your store take care of your animals. It makes me feel better to know how many things you do in a day for just the dragons alone, I love knowing there are people out there that care. I'm planning on documenting everything I experience. Especially to show her progress as I help her.
Thank you for taking such good care of your animals! The world needs more people like you.

Zaiden07

Juvenile Dragon
Maybe also put something together about Petco, how what you saw, the conditions that the lizard was in, the price it was and if they discount it ( they did that for my cham), also how the managers and associates act and treat you? Someone up that chain needs to know what's going on.

leximom

Hatchling Dragon
Definitely report to Petco Inc because it might be an employee being negligent. Our Petco here has wonderful employees - not only are they knowledgeable about the animals, but they're very helpful and personable. I was actually surprised because I've heard bad things about other chain pet stores. For the sake of the animals, I'd do what Zaiden07 suggested. Someone needs to know...

XxB4DT34M4T3xX

Hatchling Dragon
Maybe also put something together about Petco, how what you saw, the conditions that the lizard was in, the price it was and if they discount it ( they did that for my cham), also how the managers and associates act and treat you? Someone up that chain needs to know what's going on.
I picked up the little dragon today. She seems to get along very well with my Beardie Kenunu. She is unable to reach the basking spot with out stumbling due to her disability, I'm going to get her an alternative heat source.
When I went to pick her up it was almost if everyone was avoiding me, when i told them I was there for bearded dragon.
I'll be posting pictures here soon of her new home, new friend, and the extent to her condition.
Petco will definitely be hearing about this.

XxB4DT34M4T3xX

Hatchling Dragon
Give her lots of calcium and uvb and it might unkink some of it.did u have to pay anything for it?
They we're trying to convince me nothing was wrong and that I had to pay full price. I kept arguing that if I was going to pay for all the special treatment and extensive care that I wasn't going to pay full price for an animal they don't care enough about to take proper care of. They said 50% off but I managed to get them into only letting me pay 14 dollars. After tax I left paying 21 dollars. Honestly I would have paid over full price if I had to, just to get the poor thing out of there.

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I picked up the little dragon today. She seems to get along very well with my Beardie Kenunu. She is unable to reach the basking spot with out stumbling due to her disability, I'm going to get her an alternative heat source.
When I went to pick her up it was almost if everyone was avoiding me, when i told them I was there for bearded dragon.
I'll be posting pictures here soon of her new home, new friend, and the extent to her condition.
Petco will definitely be hearing about this.

You are a Hero! I was surprised when I went on a site for saving animals and found that there are so many reptiles that need rescuing.
I just turned 55 today and am a Podiatrist but don't make all that much money. I have told many people, if I ever come into a lot of money, I would close down my practice and help save these guys.
Sir (or Mam), you are truly a hero and thank you ever so much for having a heart. If you go on YouTube, they have people going undercover with cameras and you see what REALLY goes on in these stores. It can break your heart.
Again. Thank you so much. You have a heart of gold!